Recon 2 MOC

Discussion of general LEGO topics
porschecm2
Councilor

Recon 2 MOC

Post by porschecm2 »

This is the Recon 2, a small hovership used in special ops missions. It's part of a new storyline I've invented, that takes place starting in 2064. This ship is equipped with 4 wing thrusters, that provide the maneuvering abilities, and 3 heavy thrusters, which provide the vertical thrust. In severe emergencies, when extreme speed is needed, the rear heavy thruster can swivel to face the rear, to give added speed, or the side thrusters can point to the left or right, respectively, to provide an instant "jump" to the side. The Recon 2 has a cargo area able to seat about 8 soldiers, or several thousand pounds of cargo, and is accessed through a rear ramp. During operations, the ramp can be lowered while in the air, allowing soldiers or cargo to repel or parachute out. It is also equipped with the latest flying and navigating systems allowing it to fly unreasonably close to obstructions and navigate terrain at ridiculously low altitudes at high speeds. This particular ship is used by special ops forces. The team is made of up of a flight crew of 2(pilot and a navigator/gunner), 3 Basic Special Operations Troopers, and 1 Special Operations GMO(Guided Missile Operator).

The Gallery when public.

After I had taken the pictures, I realized that the left engine is backwards/upside down in some of the pictures, but I didn't feel like taking a whole new set of pictures. Then again, I probably should, since some of them are terribly focused. My camera doesn't like to focus on the whole model on one this large(even though it's not really that big) when part of it up close, where it would need macro. I suppose I should just go ahead an retake them at a higher rez from farther away, then crop....but that's so much work... :? :P

I'll have some diaromas up in the next day or 2, when I get around to uploading the pictures.

Please let me know what you think, and how it can be better! :)

Cm2
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Awesome, love all the greeblies! :D The colors work well, but the side wings look a little weak. The rest is great!
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Hey CM2,

I agree with Sir Terrance, the side wings do look a little weak. I have never been a space builder so all of these impressive type ships look great to me. Overall I think this looks great though. It is certainly better than I could ever do. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Thanks, both of you! The side 'wings' are not meant to be 'wings' at all, but merely supports to place the engines away from the body. I'm not sure if you mean aesthetically weak or physically weak, but they are physically quite sturdy.

Cm2
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

I love it! :P
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

They look like the engines could fly off the body. That is what I meant by weak. It still looks awsome, but from a physics standpoint it looks touchy. :wink:

Will
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Hmm...how would you suggest I re-enforce/redesign it? Thicker? Wider?
I'm not entirely sure I agree that the 'engines look like they could fly off', but I'm not against redesigning that section, since there were several bits there I wasn't totally satisfied with already. So if I did, I'd keep that in mind.

Cm2
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Looks great, these post are a bit to technicle for my tastes but looks good. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

porschecm2 wrote:Hmm...how would you suggest I re-enforce/redesign it? Thicker? Wider?
I'm not entirely sure I agree that the 'engines look like they could fly off', but I'm not against redesigning that section, since there were several bits there I wasn't totally satisfied with already. So if I did, I'd keep that in mind.

Cm2
Well as I said, I've never built a spaceship, but I do remember a car commercial that said "wider is good" so maybe try widening the wings by two studs. That may help make it look less breakable. Also perhaps make the wing thicker as well by adding a plate to the center to give it a more tapered look. Or leave it as it is your ship and it looks great. :D

Will