Lego Dino - Dragon

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Ramus
Laborer

Lego Dino - Dragon

Post by Ramus »

For those who have not seen the new "Prehistoric Creatures" set this is the big dinosaur.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ramus/Dino/dino.jpg

Here are pics of several poses (When the folder goes public)
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=92453

My main reason for purchasing it was because of the potential of being a good base for a dragon.

What do you think?

-- Ramus
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

In general I like those creature sets. That's "Make and Create" how LEGO is supposed to be. Though I highly dislike the new brown, grey and dark grey.... (But I think we discussed this stupidity before.)

Using the Dinosaur for a dragon is not at all a bad idea. Most likely our ancestors feared the dragons because they had found skeletons of dinosaurs that looked dragonish to them.

Bye
Jojo

doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I have already bought two of these sets, and have been using them just for this purpose. There is a thread about it in the MOC forum. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time (nor have I had the materials) to work on it, so I don't have much to show at the moment.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

I want those red bricks for my dragon...I never realized so many people were building dragons using that set as a template...
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Why else would castle heads buy that set? :lol:

I am planning to buy about 3 of this set and see what I can come up with. The biggest challenge I will face is how to make the wings. I have a few ideas, but I am hoping all of us "new" dragon builders will have something unique to show.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

You might have something there. It would need a bit of remodeling, like make teh arms better, but ti could work. I don't really like those new teeth pieces, it makes making teeth to easy. I think they were getting lazy. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Its been a theory that farmers, miners, or builders who accidentally dig up dino bones has been the basis for the creation of the myth of dragons.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Yes, it looks like a wingless dragon to me! I really like all the dark red in that set, and I want to build a huge dragon (Sava size) that is all dark red! Then another in all dark green, and dark blue. I just really like the dark colors in LEGO! :D
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

wlister wrote:Why else would castle heads buy that set? :lol:

I am planning to buy about 3 of this set and see what I can come up with. The biggest challenge I will face is how to make the wings. I have a few ideas, but I am hoping all of us "new" dragon builders will have something unique to show.

Will
The wings are a quite a bit of a challenge, which is one of the reasons I've halted work on mine for the time being.
Another problem with using this set (if you plan on building a huge dragon, that is) is that the new click joints just aren't very strong. You have to greatly reduce posability or the joints will buckle under the weight. It's rather frustrating, really.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Ramus
Laborer

Post by Ramus »

Another problem with using this set (if you plan on building a huge dragon, that is) is that the new click joints just aren't very strong. You have to greatly reduce posability or the joints will buckle under the weight. It's rather frustrating, really.
I agree with the joints being weak. There are times when my "someday dragon" collapses mid pose during a camera shoot. They seem to hold once in position though.

I too fear that the added weight of wings will be too much for the joints. Maybe I will purchase extra joints (Bionical Knights) to make a double joint of sorts.

-- Ramus
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

It was my intention to implement a triple joint for the back legs that I am devising. If it works, the joints will look sort of like corded muscle and they should be very strong. It will be about Oct. before I can buy these sets, but I have been slowly accumulating the other pieces I know I will need. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Ramus
Laborer

Post by Ramus »

I have started a dragon mod. It can be found in this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=2004

My next step is to rough out some wings.

-- Ramus

PS: I really like the new teeth pieces.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Jojo wrote: Most likely our ancestors feared the dragons because they had found skeletons of dinosaurs that looked dragonish to them.
I think there were real dragons!

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II