Collectable Series 5 - review - now in stores (UK,US,others)

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Re: Collectable Series 5 - review - now in stores (UK,US,oth

Post by Athos »

I wonder if that means a Flamenco dancer and a tarzan in series 6?

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Handar
Archer

Post by Handar »

So I had a Bricklink order come in today with a couple of the Series 5 dwarves and murmillones, and I have to say that I am very, very impressed. I've picked up a number of figures from the past series--Robin Hood, elf, vampire, witch, hoplite, pharaoh, robot, and a few others--but I think that these are by far the best.

The printing on the dwarf's torso is ornate, and while most of it is covered by his beard the stylized head belt buckle ends up being framed nicely by the two braids of his beard. Without the beard, I can see the torso really standing out in other figures. As for his accessories, the shield's heraldry is deliciously creepy, but it's the axe and helmet that really do it for me. Both of these are in pearl dark grey, a first for the helmet and one of only three sets for the axe. I love this colour, but I'm most keen about the fact that I don't have to worry about the helmet's metallic coating chipping off, as one has to do for all previous winged helmets. Plus, the new length for the axe's shaft seems much more aesthetically pleasing than the longer, previous versions. Overall, the dwarf is an excellently executed design.

The murmillo's namesake helmet, however, really takes the cake. His gladius is nice to have--it too is in lovely pearl dark grey--but his helmet is stunning. LEGO has also really outdone themselves with the detailed printing on his torso, legs, and right arm. I've enjoyed all of the collectible minifigures that I've picked up, even the stray alien I grabbed by mistake, but this guy is my favourite.
andhe
Barber-Surgeon

Post by andhe »

Athos wrote:I wonder if that means a Flamenco dancer and a tarzan in series 6?

Steve
I imagined a flamenco dancer would crop up at some point, sticking with general world stereotypes.

We already have a tarzan... :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/44141621@N ... hotostream

It may have changed into the zoo keeper, or may appear as more of a boy tarzan/mowgli style figure.
Less talking, more MOCing.

https://www.instagram.com/classicstylecastle/
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Athos wrote:I wonder if that means a Flamenco dancer and a tarzan in series 6?
There was always a possibility that "Jungle Boy" was based on a vastly flawed viewing of the Zookeeper - however, TLC has now edited the listing to read "Snowboarder" and "Zookeeper", so until we find out otherwise, I'm going to assume that, yes, the Dancer and Tarzan-clone* are in Series 6.

*Hmm, first Sherlock Homes, then Tarzan . . . logically, this means that Series 7 will have a generic Doc Savage** minifig!

**Sorry, just a little Wold Newton Universe joke there. :P
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

I finally got to pick up some Series 5s at the LEGO Store in Anaheim yesterday. I don't go in for the whole obsessive manhandling of the bags to figure out what's in them because I like to be surprised, and the surprise in this case was definitely pleasant. I grabbed 10 minifigs and got 9 different ones, 7 of which were on my Series 5 wishlist! The spare was a Royal Guard, and I may keep him anyway just because they look so good in pairs.

I'm really digging the Lizard Suit Man, more than I expected to. Pitting him against the Gorilla Suit Man for some Godzilla vs. King Kong action is obvious, but I can also see swapping out the minifig head for a plain one in a suitable color to make a fantasy lizardman, or giving him the Cheerleader's pompoms to make him a team mascot.

Series 5 really has been the one to tickle my fancy the most so far, and I feel really lucky to have gotten such a good mix on my first mad grab. I can't wait to pick up another batch!
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Post by soccerkid6 »

Just got three packages from my local Walmart, two royal guards and the dwarf. The guards torso is quite nice, (the main reason I got some of them), and the hats are cool too. The dwarf was better than I thought it would be, I wasn't sure if I would like the face but it actually looks really cool. I put normal legs on him and used the short ones for his squire. All in all I would highly recommend either of these figs. I found lots of every fig except the gladiator and clown.
Hopefully will be getting some more tomorrow.
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Toledo OH Toys R Us had a box tonight. I helped a boy and his sister at their mom's request to find a few they wanted. Found a pair of Graduates they didn't want after helping them get the Monkey Girl, Lizard Suit Guy, British Soldier, Dwarf, Sherlock, and Gangster. That was all they wanted, other than the MIA Gladiator, which I think will be the hard one to get this time.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
KarenJ
Foot Soldier

Post by KarenJ »

I hit upon these at my local Wal Mart and snagged a clown/circus guy, Egyptian, Detective (Sherlock), and Lizard man. However, I'd like to know if anyone has a decoder for batch 122B1? From what I understand, the dot code changes from batch to batch. I'm in Chicagoland so I do have many places to buy these. I am not crazy about clown/circus people but for Pete's sake, I need more of those delicious pies! :spin: Of course, my son wants the boyish things, like the boxer, gangster, etc. I'm not really good at feeling for the accessories unless it's something obvious, like a fishing pole, banana, or sword.

Thanks in advance for any help! I'd be more than willing to collaborate with anyone who would like (or share what they have so far) the dot pattern for this particular batch, as well as other batches as they make their appearance in this area.
-Karen
Karen

Left dark ages Jan '07
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

The Walmart sidecap display seems to be a lot heavier on the "Troop Builder" figures than the shelf-top box. I got only three dwarf/gladiators from a box, but the sidecap had at least 6/7 of them and fewer of the others like the graduate and lumberjack.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

For those of you finding series 5 at Wal-Mart: is the side cap display in the toys or somewhere else in the store?
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Mine has it in toys right next to the Imaginext.
nikink
Serf

Post by nikink »

I now have several complete sets of 16. Plus quite a few extra Gladiators and Dark Dwarves. They look impressive ranked up. I wish I had as many Hoplites! :(
Have Fun...