Minifigure Packs

Discussion of general LEGO topics
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

architect wrote: As for the minifig sets, it is hard to say. Sometimes they sell out but other times they sit around (NBA players for example)
Well Ben, thats probably because they tried to sell three minifigs for nine dollars (around here). How many minifigs are worth three bucks?
For KK2, lets say they had three shadow knights, and two king mathias foot soldiers, for around ten bucks, with shields and various weapons, I for one would probably buy them.
Probably castle more than any ohther would sell out quickly for the army builders out there. Even space minifigs never sold out as quick.
Once you have a few spacers, its all good right? Same with town; how many chefs do you reallyl need?
But castle... ah castle... it is really really really stupid to have two knights attack a castle.
Or going back to KK1 - three or four?

anyway - I will probably be buying them because I like a lot of the parts, and I like the minifigs.
I want red armor, purple armor, black and green.. not too crazy about baby blue, but i will probably use it too.

:D
freak
Charlie
Freeman

Post by Charlie »

Something like a Castle version of 9293 wouldn't even be needed (Although I know it would sell) but at least something like the older minifig sets, or small sets with many figs like 6057 or 6049.

I don't remember older Minifig packs in stores, but I do remember the Ninja fig packs, and the black knights (4805 and 6105 IIRC) which are the ones I was saying always sold out.

If S@H is more for AFOLs, and stores for kids then TLC could sell fig packs of older themes to cater more to AFOLs. Both sides would be happy, some people would get their old figs and others would get their fantasy Castles and Rainbow knights.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Perhaps using the NBA minifigures was a bad example. In the past, I have seen other minifigure packs not sell very quickly. The ninja pack comes to mind. Of course this was only at my local stores, but those were around a while.

But I totally agree that we would love a "medieval workers" pack or just a 5-6 figure pack. Of course that would require the theme to have generic good and bad guy soldiers, women, shopkeepers, farmers, villagers, forestmen.....(1)

I was just pointing out why LEGO might be hesitant about producing minifigure packs. I bet minifigure make less money and cost more to produce and as many have said, minifigures can get people to buy less than spectacular sets (8777 for example).

Ben E.

1. *Bangs on screen of LEGO employees to see if they are writing all of this down :wink:
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

architect wrote:Perhaps using the NBA minifigures was a bad example. In the past, I have seen other minifigure packs not sell very quickly. The ninja pack comes to mind. Of course this was only at my local stores, but those were around a while.
I know ONE store (2hours from home) where the Ninja minifigs lasted until 2001, maybe 2002. But this was a great store, and had all sorts of two, three, four-year old sets. Sadly it is now closed. I could kill myself for not picking up more Witch's Windships or Ninja Knights while I had the chance.

Otherwise, I never saw the set after its initial year or so, I think.
architect wrote:But I totally agree that we would love a "medieval workers" pack or just a 5-6 figure pack. Of course that would require the theme to have generic good and bad guy soldiers, women, shopkeepers, farmers, villagers, forestmen.....
Not necessarily. Remember the Fright Knight minifigs? All pre-existing soldiers and the witch. Remember Medieval Knights? All soldiers. One Wolfpack and three DMs. I am sure that a minifig pack would sell, even among us AFOLs, and sell well, if it only came with Vladek, Rascus, Santis, Danju, and Jayko, their swords and shields. But of course, such a well-designed set would destroy their chances of making as large a profit off of the other sets. As you pointed out:
architect wrote:I was just pointing out why LEGO might be hesitant about producing minifigure packs. I bet minifigure make less money and cost more to produce and as many have said, minifigures can get people to buy less than spectacular sets (8777 for example).

Ben E.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Sorry, I think you missunderstood me. What I meant was that to have a 30 figure set, we would need more figures than the 5 knights, king, and shadow warrior. But you are correct, for the small pack, it would be fine. But if you want that, just buy the board game (although I havent found this yet, but it supposedly has all of the knights and game for $20)

Ben E.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I live in western Canada: what are the odds that the game'll be available here?

Okay, not quite so bad as that.
Well, I live in Saint Louis. We hate to buy anything that isnt on sale :wink: Needless to say, we still dont have a permanent lego store where I could buy this game. So I am also out of luck.
And while you're right about my mistaking your intent, I think that you could make an all-soldiers 30-fig pack. Put in Matthias, each of his four knights, Vladek, and then four soldiers for each. (Soldiers to be designed)

It would be a S@H special, obviously, and it probably wouldn't sell immediately. But it wouldn't need to. So long as they didn't go overboard with the numbers, they would sells until the stock ran out. Maybe not in a year, maybe not in two, but they would sell.

Where else would we get large KK2 armies (one of our major gripes)?

EDIT: I posted this even as the topic was split. The rest of this conversation can be found in Minifigure Packs.
This isnt a bad idea, considering what KK2 is, mainly an action theme. I do like the variety of the community workers. They seem to be diverse and could populate a town nicely. I guess that I and many others would like civilian medieval sets and figures. But who knows when that will happen.

Ben E.
Charlie
Freeman

Post by Charlie »

Although I agree that a minifig pack with the new "Castle" figs would be good for those who like them, I was thinking more of making older figs available to AFOLs through S@H.

They started making Black Falcons again with the BFF re-release, a Minifig pack with 5 Black Falcons plus some weapons would be a great start, again I know I would buy as many as possible.

Because like someone else pointed out, if they release minifig packs of the new Knights, it would conflict with the current sets because people wouldn't need to buy them to get their hands on the new Knights. If there were just older figs available those who want the newer ones would still have to purchase sets.

The Ninja fig packs would always take a bit longer to sell than the previous fig packs, but would still sell out. I'm sure location and the stock a store has on hand has a lot to do with it though.

There aren't any older sets being sold by Lego, so having Minifig packs of older figs wouldn't loose Lego any money.

The cost to profit ratio with Minifigs not being as good as it is with sets is a good idea, and probably right on the money.

Splitting the old thread confused me for a minute ;)
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

A 30 minifigure pack like that town one that's been around for a while would be great, especially if they were able to design it so we can get as much variety in parts as possible. I figure this might be a decent breakdown:

3 Black Falcons
3 Crusaders
3 Forestmen
3 Black Knights
3 Wolfpack
3 Dragon Masters
3 Royal Knights
3 Dark Forest
3 Peasants
1 King
1 Queen / Maiden
1 Wizard

Then, you want to give as much variety as possible, so you would want the black falcons to have 2 guys with standard torsos, one with a bullet helm, and the other with a nose protector helm, and then one guy with the breastplate printed torso. Same for Crusaders, but one of the lion torsos should have crossed axes instead. It would also be good to try and fit in both shield variants for BF and Crusader.

Similar things could be done with the other factions - Forestmen could have the red, blue, and black neck things on their torsos, and both colors of Forestmen caps should be used. At least one forestman should have a shield.

The peasants should be sure to include a brown and black hood, and then a female hairpiece for one of them. One of the peasants should have the green peasant torso, etc.

If it was planned well, they could probably include almost every helmet, torso, and shield that was used between 1984 and 1996.

Of course, we would need 3 of the figs to be mounted with full armor. Bardings don't hurt either. :)
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

[quote="architect"]Sorry, I think you missunderstood me. What I meant was that to have a 30 figure set,

there is a thread already about this Ben :p

viewtopic.php?t=564

LR