Clone brand new sets

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I don't like were this going. It seems that there are traitors in our ranks. traitors who would rathe buy M***B***** or pm instead of LEGO. Its disgraceful. Why if this keeps up I might buy some of my own, heaven forbid.

:wink:
(J/K)
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

Robin Hood wrote:I don't like were this going. It seems that there are traitors in our ranks. traitors who would rathe buy M***B***** or pm instead of LEGO. Its disgraceful. Why if this keeps up I might buy some of my own, heaven forbid.

:wink:
Well, looking at the castle accessory pack from PM does make me salivate a little....

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

footsteps wrote:Well, looking at the castle accessory pack from PM does make me salivate a little....
Indeed. When I was browsing the PM online catalogue today I wondererd if I should sell all my LEGO and invest in Playmobil. They also had a whole mediaeval town in the late 70s and early 80s, with a townhall, an inn, a tailor's workshop, a bakery, a blacksmith.... I remember sitting over the PM catalogue and wishing for those sets - I never got any :-( I got LEGO instead. Ugly, studdy, oldgrey LEGO. What am I supposed to do with stuff like this, where the people have yellow faces but not blue hair, where only one person is sitting in a car because there is no room for two, where everything is rectangular, where you have to buy a whole castle for just one piece?

Bye!

Bye, LEGO!

Farewell!

Jojo

Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Jojo wrote:....I got LEGO instead. Ugly, studdy, oldgrey LEGO. What am I supposed to do with stuff like this, where the people have yellow faces but not blue hair, where only one person is sitting in a car because there is no room for two, where everything is rectangular, where you have to buy a whole castle for just one piece?...
If you don't want that beautiful collection of yours, I know several people who do. And I get first dibs. It was my idea! :D

I really know nothing about PlayMobil, but it seems like a fairly decent brand, and not one that rips off TLC's ideas too much (not that TLC HAS ideas anymore). And I am tempted to get one of these Mega sets someday just to compare. But I probably won't, since I could use that money to buy one of those beautiful, inventive, cheap, marvellously-designed, and excellently coloured KK2 sets. Sigh.... its a sad world.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Robin Hood wrote:I don't like were this going. It seems that there are traitors in our ranks. traitors who would rathe buy M***B***** or pm instead of LEGO. Its disgraceful. Why if this keeps up I might buy some of my own, heaven forbid.
Don't get me wrong, Lego is and always will be my favorite, but some of the stuff they're putting out now just doesn't compare to some of the competitors' products. Yeah, if given a choice between spending 90 dollars on the Castle Of Morcia or 18 Megabloks figure packs, I'd go with the Mega. On the other hand, if given the choice of buying the 18 Megabloks packs (54 figs) and spending the same amount of money on half as many Black Falcon figures, I'd go with the Falcons.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

By the way, the set that I bought four of for 20 dollars each was a combo pack with the siege tower and the castle defenders

So I saved nearly one hundred dollars on each one, for a total of 400 usd! Talk about a good deal.
pwnage
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

footsteps wrote:Well, looking at the castle accessory pack from PM does make me salivate a little....
Indeed. When I was browsing the PM online catalogue today I wondererd if I should sell all my LEGO and invest in Playmobil. They also had a whole mediaeval town in the late 70s and early 80s, with a townhall, an inn, a tailor's workshop, a bakery, a blacksmith.... I remember sitting over the PM catalogue and wishing for those sets - I never got any :-( I got LEGO instead. Ugly, studdy, oldgrey LEGO. What am I supposed to do with stuff like this, where the people have yellow faces but not blue hair, where only one person is sitting in a car because there is no room for two, where everything is rectangular, where you have to buy a whole castle for just one piece?

Bye!

Bye, LEGO!

Farewell!

Jojo

Its worse than I thought. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

Bye!

Bye, LEGO!

Farewell!

Jojo

I hope he's kidding
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
Charlie
Freeman

Post by Charlie »

I don't see why everyone bashes Maga Bloks, they made be made cheaper, but they also ARE cheaper.

I don't think I've seen such blind allegiance for any brand but Bose. If it's Bose it must be good, right? :wink:

Lego is putting out very trashy Castle sets in my opinion. If people like the Mega Bloks line over Lego, why must you bash them?

The older Pro-Builder series were great for parts, there was one site I visited where someone had made part of a Castle out of parts from the Kittyhawk and Batteleship sets. It looked just as good as any lego Castle I have seen, but he doesn't deserve the respect of the Lego crowd because he didn't spend thousands of dollars on light gray 2x4s, right?

I thought lego was more about the fun of building, and obtaining the skills to build, not how much money you have to buy Lego.

BTW, here is the link to the Mega Blok Castle that I was talking about:

http://www.graysage.com/cg/Toys/Megablo ... c00001.jpg
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Charlie wrote:I don't see why everyone bashes Maga Bloks, they made be made cheaper, but they also ARE cheaper.

I don't think I've seen such blind allegiance for any brand but Bose. If it's Bose it must be good, right? :wink:

Lego is putting out very trashy Castle sets in my opinion. If people like the Mega Bloks line over Lego, why must you bash them?

The older Pro-Builder series were great for parts, there was one site I visited where someone had made part of a Castle out of parts from the Kittyhawk and Batteleship sets. It looked just as good as any lego Castle I have seen, but he doesn't deserve the respect of the Lego crowd because he didn't spend thousands of dollars on light gray 2x4s, right?

I thought lego was more about the fun of building, and obtaining the skills to build, not how much money you have to buy Lego.
I'll raise my glass to that!
I won't ever pledge my unswerving loyalty to any company or brand name.
Even if I had the money to buy whatever Lego I wanted, I would still probably buy Megabloks as well, because there are just some things that Megabloks does better than Lego.
By the way, I took a look at that castle, and besides being a little bit dull, it looks every bit as nice as would a Lego castle of similar design. In fact, if I hadn't known it was Megabloks beforehand and if the word 'Megabloks' wasn't in the URL, I never would have known.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Charlie
Freeman

Post by Charlie »

I didn't know at first either, I first found it on Google's image search, and was just looking at the pic.

It is a bit plain, but with some Lego pieces it would look a lot better. I'm just saying that for some very basic parts Mega Bloks could be a viable option.

I'm not going to buy thousands of Mega Bloks, but I don't see a problem with people who do.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Charlie wrote:I don't see why everyone bashes Maga Bloks, they made be made cheaper, but they also ARE cheaper.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that our allegiance is blind, although it is certainly firm. As poor as Lego's designs are, the quality of the pieces remains far and away superior, and it is possibly as much out annoyance at Lego for producing bad designs as anything else that we bash the clone companies. And of the clone companies, MegaBloks are the most prominent, as well as being popularly considered the best made and designed.
BECAUSE they are trashy castle sets. It irks us to see the cloners making a better-looking line. And as complaining to TLC doesn't work.....

It is about building, not money, but while it is just and fair that Lego's better quality bricks should cost more, the gap is astronomically unfair. When we complain about Mega being so cheap, we are not saying that it is underhanded, but that TLC is. We would all rather use Lego bricks in our constructions, and if we can't get as many bricks as we'd like, typically we'd rather make do than buy Mega. (If you could afford Mega, then surely you could afford a smaller amount of Lego anyway.)

Please note: I am not insulting Mega buyers. I am quite simply not one of them.
doctorsparkles wrote:In fact, if I hadn't known it was Megabloks beforehand and if the word 'Megabloks' wasn't in the URL, I never would have known.
Isn't that the truth! It is so sad, really. :cry:
Charlie
Freeman

Post by Charlie »

I agree Lego pieces are of a higher quality, but I've never had a broken Megablok piece (although I haven't had too many MegaBloks TO break) If quality is the reason for people liking Lego over MBs, what if there was a clone brand that made super-high quality bricks out of a super strong polymer that cost a dollar a brick? Most people would say the leap in quality isn't worth the added price, perhaps some feel the same about the leap of quality and price from MBs to Lego.

I'm not insulting Lego (well maybe I am, I don't like the new sets or colors one bit!) but Mega Bloks may be a much better alternative to some, yet they stick with Lego because they don't want people to shame them for using a clone brand in their MOCs.

I'm somewhat of a purist myself, but if someone made a good looking MOC out of MBs (like in the Link I posted) I wouldn't think any less of it because it's made of Mega Bloks, that's the main point I'm trying to get across.

Even though MBs have some good qualities, I will never stray from Lego minifigs! Never! Maybe I won't buy new ones, but any Lego minifig will always have a home with me ;)
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Charlie wrote:I agree Lego pieces are of a higher quality, but I've never had a broken Megablok piece (although I haven't had too many MegaBloks TO break) If quality is the reason for people liking Lego over MBs, what if there was a clone brand that made super-high quality bricks out of a super strong polymer that cost a dollar a brick? Most people would say the leap in quality isn't worth the added price, perhaps some feel the same about the leap of quality and price from MBs to Lego.

I'm not insulting Lego (well maybe I am, I don't like the new sets or colors one bit!) but Mega Bloks may be a much better alternative to some, yet they stick with Lego because they don't want people to shame them for using a clone brand in their MOCs.

I'm somewhat of a purist myself, but if someone made a good looking MOC out of MBs (like in the Link I posted) I wouldn't think any less of it because it's made of Mega Bloks, that's the main point I'm trying to get across.

Even though MBs have some good qualities, I will never stray from Lego minifigs! Never! Maybe I won't buy new ones, but any Lego minifig will always have a home with me ;)
Point taken! And I agree about the figs. It might be possible to convert me where the bricks/bloks are concerned, but the Lego fig has my heart and both sets of keys.