Are the bleys here to stay?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Are the bleys here to stay?

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Just wondering if they are for sure going to stay or if there will be a reversal of this decision. In particular I am most concerned with the light bley. I need more bricks (who doesn't? :wink: ) to complete my latest castle. By birthday is coming up in October and I would try and convince my wife to get me bricks from S@H. To date many of you getting bricks from there have reported that they are still supplying old light grey. Will they make a note when it is changed to bley? Have any of you tried mixing the new and old colours on a larger project, say a section of castle wall (pics if so?)? Thank you.
Troy T. Moore
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Currently the bulk bricks in the old colors is still available at S@H. No one has mentioned when the supply will run out or if we will be notified. Each of the 6 bulk packs were slated to have a production run of 10,000. I would imagine that number has been surpassed. They may continue producing the old light grey packs until the intrest dies down. I believe that the set# will change when and if they change these packs to new greys.

As too adding new greys to old in a big MOC, I did try it and it looked funny. The new grey which I have a lot less of, looked like it had been polished clean or something. I only had a few bricks I put in a wall, but they didn't look right. Even from 10 feet away the new bricks stood out. I won't be using new grey in any moc that isn't all new grey, I don't think they mix well.

Convince you wife you need 100 Assorted light grey brick packs, I tried that with my wife and ended up getting 50. A good compromise. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

This is something I've been wondering too. The original amount of each pack was supposed to be 10,000 I thought. They've been around longer than even the Maersk ship, which was supposed to be 10,000 each too, right?

Also, as wlister said, he got 50 of the packets. I got about 20 of the light grey bricks, and then other packets too. Surely these would be far gone if there were only 10,000.

I think LEGO released far more.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

It was my understanding that the color change was permanent. It's a little bit of a downer, but I've gotten over it.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

Oh, I'm sure they are permanent. I was just commenting that it seems like they released more bulk packs than said.

I'm not going to start with the hoping they will change back - That's been rehashed over and over to no end.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I expect that the colour change is permanent, certainly in the sets as released.

However, unless there is a major outcry from the fans (but since that is us, I think it is unlikely), it is quite possible that TLC will continue to produce its bulk pack as light grey, while not drawing attention to the fact, for quite some time to come (a year or more, I'd hope).
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

So far, I haven,t had any problems with ordering old greys, even with the bigger orders, (some 10,000 2x4 bricks). I haven,t the slighest idea how many LTC have in stock but certainly more than 10,000 bags. But I am afraid that when the storehouse is emty, the good old greys are gone forever. That's why I buy as much as possible. I shall never finish my Sokenniwell Caste because is was intended to be a 5-years during project, and going further with new grey bricks is not really a option.

Well, I can put up with that fact, but the disappearance of the old greys will be pity forever :(
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

TLC was clear about the fact that the new blueish grey is here to stay. They will not come back. TLC put some pack with old grey, but it's only to please old fan, and it's these pack are limited. They will not doing more with old grey.

That's what I understand from Lego.
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

Legomaat wrote:So far, I haven,t had any problems with ordering old greys, even with the bigger orders, (some 10,000 2x4 bricks). I haven,t the slighest idea how many LTC have in stock but certainly more than 10,000 bags. But I am afraid that when the storehouse is emty, the good old greys are gone forever. That's why I buy as much as possible. I shall never finish my Sokenniwell Caste because is was intended to be a 5-years during project, and going further with new grey bricks is not really a option.

Well, I can put up with that fact, but the disappearance of the old greys will be pity forever :(
10,000 2x4 bricks? Meaning from what packs? The straight 2x4 packs are still old greys!? Or from TONS of the new packs?
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

It seems like tlc would do well to keep the old gray in the bulk packs, since all of the afols hate the new gray and they are the main ones that buy bulk packs as far as I know.
pwnage
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

J1A3L5 wrote:
Legomaat wrote:So far, I haven,t had any problems with ordering old greys, even with the bigger orders, (some 10,000 2x4 bricks). I haven,t the slighest idea how many LTC have in stock but certainly more than 10,000 bags. But I am afraid that when the storehouse is emty, the good old greys are gone forever. That's why I buy as much as possible. I shall never finish my Sokenniwell Caste because is was intended to be a 5-years during project, and going further with new grey bricks is not really a option.

10,000 2x4 bricks? Meaning from what packs? The straight 2x4 packs are still old greys!? Or from TONS of the new packs?
In The Netherlands, but I assume also in other countries, it is possible to order so called "Bulkorders".
You have to make your list with parts you want, and to hand it in by the LEGO custumers service in your country.
It can be every part LTC has in stock.
The only restriction is that you have to order 100 equal parts and to spend the amount of 250,- Euro minimal.(about $300.-)
You also have to sign a form, in which you declare not to sell the goodies right away.
This are not standard packs. The bricks will be delivered in big plastic bags or cardboard boxes, dependent on the amount of your order 8)

BTW, I am sorry to tell you that the straight 2x4 pacs are new grey already :cry:
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Legomaat wrote:You have to make your list with parts you want, and to hand it in by the LEGO custumers service in your country. It can be every part LTC has in stock.
I've seen/heard rumours about this offer in Europe, but unfortunately it's not available to North Americans... :x

Now I know it's not a rumour since you've actually purchased bulk (real bulk, not just 50 pcs in a bag) bricks!

-Bryan