don't.
9%
The voices are in my head.
18%
I do the voices!
62%
With children, but they do what I say.
6%
With children, they think up the story (and break my MOCs)
6%

Total votes: 34

Green Fox
Bailiff

PLAY...

Post by Green Fox »

Just a little poll about playing with lego. Relate any interesting stories etc. I am just curious.
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

I do the voices! its great. Especially when people get their heads chopped off....

seems to happy a lot in my lego world :twisted:
It's a Christmas Miracle!
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I have my own ideas for play, but I rarely act them out and when I do, the voices are in my head, just like all the others. :wink:

I did not choose that option though, I tend to build MOCs and then let my kids either play with them or I sometimes I even let them have them.

My kids have large collections of their own, but occasionally I build something special for them.

Here is a house I built for my daughter.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=63955

Here is a bigger house I built for my son.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=66425

He had very specific instructions about how many rooms he wanted and what color of house it should be. The giant flower is in there because some video game he was playing had a giant flower.

My castle stuff I let them play with, but I make sure they have clean hands and they are supervised. There are too many parts that would disappear if I gave them free reign to do what they like. I play with them, but they usually stick me with a lame bad guy they kill off early in their games.

The key to being sure your kids don't poach from your collection too much is to make sure they have at least 5 - 10 tubs full of their own parts. My kids do and they leave my stuff alone when I don't want them playing.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

The voices stay in my head, unless my kids are playing too. Then there are the other voices telling me to "go to Bricklink", "you must buy Lego", those are the one's that get me in trouble :wink:

My 2 children have almost as much Lego as I, the difference is mine is all useful for castle, so it looks uniform. There are no rubber wheels, no jet engines, no windscreens...

On Sunday I was working on my windmill. Levi, age 8, says "look dad, Gandalf", as he holds up a white minifig, with white beard on a white horse holding a white bar (staff) and a chrome sword. I was impressed. He made a Legolas 6 months ago using a tan Quigon torso, brown cape, blonde(tan) female hair, bow and quiver. I had a dwarf in my box that I made (ala wlister style) that had been dubbed Gimli as soon as the kids seen him. I gave him to Levi, and Levi gave him a hatchet in one hand and a halbred in the other. He also made an Aragorn fig... Tori, age 9, made a couple of houses, with a pumpkin patch outside one. The one house had a grill over the fire and a butter churn (2x2 barrel, 2x2 round plate, and a lightsaber blade(?) all brown) The other house hade a hook holding the pot over the fire, that could be swung out. Both houses were furnished. I am glad to see that they have imagination. As I have mentioned before, we do not have television, but do have videos (meaning their brains are not being sucked out by useless programming, nor is mine, for that matter)
Troy T. Moore
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

No play for me; the building and designing is the fun part. Probably when my son's older we'll do some playing, but even KK2 isn't compatible with a 2-year-old.

I no longer have trouble with the voices in my head. I only listen to the Hamster King. ;-)

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Sometimes, once in a while I find myself playing with my Legonians.... Then I hear myself whispering their talk and performing soundeffects with my mouth...

Bye
Jojo

Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

Hmmm....
I dot he voices, and whenever my dudes die, I do their bloodcurdling death-screams.
GRRRGLGRRRRSH....
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well being fifteen I have sorta gotton into that age of being afraid to play or being laughed at. However on the old occasion, I will take whatever is made at the moment and play. Mainly having this army charge this army and the smalller one wins and chops the others to pieces. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I do the voices.

I do the battles.

I do everything. (Except have them open doors and stuff. Its just easier to put them in thru the roof.)

I don't do it lots (time issues and interest), but the day I stop playing with Lego is the day I stop building it. I can't just build for looks and display, I have to build it for use. Therefore, if some of my unseen MOCs are ugly, its because they were built for play, not DIS-play. Besides, the bad guys are too dumb to build good-looking things anyway (and I was running out of pieces...).
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I do the voices and other sound effects... like explosions, galloping horse thunder, mini-gun firing, and etc.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

Yeh, me too. I do everything. Period. Weather effects included.
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

JPinoy wrote:I do the voices and other sound effects... like explosions, galloping horse thunder, mini-gun firing, and etc.
Gosh that must be fun.....

You actually have enough baddies that the good buys could be outnumbered 100 to one. (And that would still give you a good guy army of what, 30? That's not much smaller than my 2-1 outnumbered good guy army is...)
Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

[quote]I do the voices and other sound effects... like explosions, galloping horse thunder, mini-gun firing, and etc.[quote]

I made a great mini-gun for my Vulcan Raven fig, complete with stupidly large canister on his back.
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Like Robin Hood, I have gotten to an age where I can't risk being seen playing with Lego, let alone making sound effects :wink: I'm nerdy enough as it is :wink:
pwnage
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Emperor James wrote:Like Robin Hood, I have gotten to an age where I can't risk being seen playing with Lego, let alone making sound effects :wink: I'm nerdy enough as it is :wink:
Does this mean you do it on the sly when no one is watching?

Personally, I don't find it as fun if no one is watching. Playing in front of little brothers is always fun: its always cool to see them imitating you the next day. :D