45%
All or most of them are in set-ups or MOCs
No votes

Total votes: 22

Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

How Do you Store Your Legos?

Post by Commander Redbeard »

How do you store YOUR legos? I personally have a semi-organized system where I bag pieces of a certain color together and seperate accessories and minifigs in seperate boxes. If you have any special tips or advice storing your lego, share it! I'm sure many of us (including me) need the help. :)
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I had to go with other.

My system is a combination of options 2 and 3.

The bricks are sorted by colour, the other pieces by reltive size and function.

(BTW: weren't there a few threads on this subject a few pages ago?)
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

I used to sort them by color...later I sorted them by shape...*I'm still trying to sort them by shape*
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: How Do you Store Your Legos?

Post by footsteps »

I voted 'other' because my collection is sorted using a bit of all the other options. I'd love to have one system, but I just haven't put the effort into devising and maintaining one.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

My (old)lightgrey bricks are sorted by colour (grey obviously) and form. Only bricks, though, slopes and plates are together with the other slopes and plates in the respective boxes. Non-grey coloured bricks are like slopes and plates just sorted by form, not by colour.

Castle figs are sorted by faction (did that only recently), other figs are in one big pile.

Small parts are sorted by form.

Then I have one copy of each set I own assembled/built up and, if I have a box for it, stored in the original box. The parts from my spare sets are for building and together with my other parts in their respective boxes.

And of course I have lots of parts still bound in built up MOCs. If I had not "stored" them in the MOCs my boxes would be too small, really.

Bye
Jojo

Tedward
Squire

Bead Box

Post by Tedward »

OK, my sorting is not yet what I need but I did find one cool thing.

It is a small box app. 8" x 10" and 1.5" tall divided up into squares inside app. 1". It is a bead storage box and that is the great feature. The sides of each compartment are square but the front and back are curved. This allows a 1x plate or variant to easily be scooped out with one finger.

OK, my description may suck but when I get home later I could take some pictures if anyone is interested.
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

You can split my collection into two groups:

The first group consists of the sets that I keep together. This takes up quite a bit of room because I keep the original boxes. Also, a lot of these are the larger sets (thus having large boxes) such as 7191 X-Wing, 5571 Black Cat, etc. I also take care not to stack them too high because I don't want the ones on the bottom to be crushed by the weight above.

The second group is all the "spare" parts, acquired from purchasing multiple copies of sets, used to build my own stuff. All of the (old) light grey bricks, plates, and specialty pieces have been sorted (or will be sorted) by shape into a variety of compartments (including those drawers typically used for nuts & bolts).

The pieces in the other colours are sorted by shape into similar compartments. Of course, there's a tub of "miscellaneous" parts...

Castle figs are in one big pile. I haven't sorted them by faction because I have too many factions and too few of each (so I'll end up with 10 groups of 4, for example). Other figs are in another pile.

Apart from 1 4492 MINI Star Destroyer, you won't find any bley colours in my collection! (Ok except for a 10152 Maersk Sealand on display)

-Bryan
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Other. I sort by colour, then divide the colours into piece types. All yellow 2xN plates together, all blue 1xN plates together, all red 1xN bricks together, etc. Then some pieces I have sorted by type, such as I have all my 45 degree slopes together, all my inverted 45 degree slopes together, etc. Then alot of small useful pieces, such as headlight bricks, 1x1 rounds, etc, are sorted out by type. Most of them are sorted into an assortment of ziploc baggies(terrible method, but extremely cheap), and cardboard boxes. I've managed to get ahold of some old keyboard boxes, which are partitioned in 2, and they work great for larger quantities of pieces, such as red 2xN bricks. I also use a few fishing tackle single layer boxes for my smaller parts, and minifigs and their assessories.

Cm2
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well I sorta do several. My bricks and plates ar sorted according to colour. My other pieces are sorted according to function and shape. My figs are sorted into three containers. The shirt container, the pants container, and the head container. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Bricks and plates by size and color, other bricks by function (click-hinges in one bag, etc), and minifigs my themselves.

So, in other word, Option "Other"...
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Bricks and plates are sorted by color (if I have a lot of one color, different size bricks get different bags). I keep the bags of bricks in a box separate from the plate bags.
Minifig accessories are divided by theme. I have a bag of assorted body parts and a bag of heads. I have a bag of castle figs, and the rest of my complete figs are loose at the bottom of the box. Also in this box is bag of animals and animal accessories.
I have a box devoted to dismantled sets that I can't bring myself to sort into the rest.
Non-minifig/brick/plate pieces are separated by function (walls, doors and windows, wings and engines, antenna and controls, car pieces, rounds, etc.).
And then I have assembled MOCs, sets and mounted castle figs on a bookshelf.
Oh, in case you hadn't guessed, I chose 'other.'
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Most of my pieces are in low bins that double as drawers. The rest are in my moc's or in a large ever growing pile on the floor :D

I keep my minifig parts in one of those little tool boxes that you use to sort nails and screws etc.
pwnage
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

I used to have it ordered by color in each container, then in each container were bags separating by shape. It was kinda cool, but too hard to maintain, now its just a bunch of tubs with orderless crap floating around!
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

My parts are sorted by colour and form, so I voted "other".
The "big bulk" bricks, like the 2xn-s are stored in those big plastic boxes you can buy in almost every store. Plates are in smaller boxes of the same type. For the little and rare parts I use the so called organisers, a box with 8 or 22 small boxes, various in size, in it. Great advance is that the little boxes are interchangeable. Not really cheap but very handy.
All the boxes are stored on shelves on the attic.

I do have a very few minifigs. They are standing on the bookcase in the living room, looking if everything is allright 8)
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Ancient-Army and Modern-Military figs are placed into bins segregated by faction or region (depending in their numbers, larger armies get their own bin). Minifig parts are in 1 bin, minifig accessories in another bin, and common building parts/bricks (*grays, *black, brown, tan, and white) are in 3 large bins. The rest are in 2 super-large bins. While nearly all the "currently under construction parts" (black & lt. gray) are on the floor with some green baseplates! :lol: The shelves on a large bookcase are used to display regular cavalry and infantry of my ancients. The faction leaders for both Ancients and Military, some "immortal" (as in I'll never deconstruct them) MOCs are also on the shelves.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]