Welcome to St. Adrian's parish!

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Welcome to St. Adrian's parish!

Post by Formendacil »

Well, I've mentioned here and there that I've made a modern-day church MOC*. I made it back in June, I think, but I only just got around to taking pics today.

It is, in my opinion, a more than decent structure, if not particularly imposing or innovative. I've been tweaking some of the interior stuff** since I started, and will likely do more yet, so its possible that this isn't the last you'll hear of my prattling.

The Folder, when moderated:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=95601

And a couple of deeplinks to entertain and interest you before that happens:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Forme ... hfront.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Forme ... gation.jpg

*Named St. Adrian's because I have an uncle of that name who paid to have his patron as the church's. Also, the A. in full name stands for Adrian.

**Unfortunately, this does not include the bishop's mitre, as I couldn't find a suitable replacement that I liked better than the maiden hat. Oh well.....

ENJOY!!!
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

Nice work!

Hey, I might have thought of something that you can use for a mitre. I don't have any of the tooth pieces or an LDraw modelling of them, so I'll just have to describe: Take a 1 x 1 brick with 4 studs on the sides, put 1 x 1 round plates on two opposing sides, 1 x 1 plates with tooth (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=bb103) on the other opposing faces, and a 1 x 1 cone on top. Just an idea...

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I really like the way you did the crucifix out front. It's not something I could use in my own creations (The church I plan on building will not be specific to any particular denomination, as I care far more about architecture than I do about religion), but it's a novel idea nonetheless. I can't say I really like the look of the building itself, but that's probably because I dislike the look of most modern churches anyway.
By the way, I just gave Mr. CNelson's mitre idea a try, and I have to say that I don't like it. It's a little bit large and goofy looking for my tastes. Interesting idea, though.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

I am not very fond of modern looking churches either. But I would your building hardly consider as a excess of modern architecture. It looks more like a renovated old building to me. But that makes it the more interesting! The combination with the old and the new. The grey and the yellow....
On the whole, it is not exactly my taste, but it is a MOC well done.

And that is what counts 8)
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

doctorsparkles wrote:I really like the way you did the crucifix out front. It's not something I could use in my own creations it's a novel idea nonetheless.
Thanks. I know I am not Formedi, but actually the idea for the crusafix was mine. I had built a church of my own had one of those in it. Of course Mike fixed it up a bit, but the main idea was mine.

But this topic is about HIS idea not mine, so ,ahem, on to complimeting. I won't say anything though as he has heard my comments on it about a month ago. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

doctorsparkles wrote:I really like the way you did the crucifix out front. It's not something I could use in my own creations (The church I plan on building will not be specific to any particular denomination, as I care far more about architecture than I do about religion), but it's a novel idea nonetheless. I can't say I really like the look of the building itself, but that's probably because I dislike the look of most modern churches anyway.
I was too low on grey and black pieces to make a medieval church, and since I'm not at all well-versed on the set-up of the church in pre-Vatican (pre-Tridentine too!) times, and I didn't want to research, a modern church made more sense. Besides, I'm a modern Catholic, so a modern church MOC was inevitable. I suppose though, that someday I could make a medieval Cathedral as it is used today. Something to think about, anyway...
doctorsparkles wrote:By the way, I just gave Mr. CNelson's mitre idea a try, and I have to say that I don't like it. It's a little bit large and goofy looking for my tastes. Interesting idea, though.
Just reading it, I though it probably would be. Oh well, the maiden's hat isn't TOO bad, and I didn't need it with my castle figs anyway...
jon_p
Artisan

Post by jon_p »

Great building, I love the overall design and shape of the church. The colours and shape of the roof look really good.
I like the small details that are included, I think that these really add to the model.. the stain glass windows, the statue, the decorative carbonite Han! and the organ. All these are great little pieces but they make the building seem more realistic in a sense, that they fill up the empty areas and it looks great.

One question though: why are there so many security cameras?? Is this what it is like in churches in America? We have none in churches in England.. well none I am aware of!

Jon.
"We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!"

My Brickshelf gallery - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85183
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

jon_p wrote:.... One question though: why are there so many security cameras?? Is this what it is like in churches in America? We have none in churches in England.. well none I am aware of!
So many security cameras? There are only two.

I don't know about American churches (I'm a Canadian, eh!), but I know that in my area at least, most churches in cities and large towns are having to install security systems, due to the fact that it is simply no longer safe to leave them unguarded during the night. You'll come in the next morning, the sacred vessels will be missing.

Security cameras are the only way I could think of to simulate a security system. (In my own parish, we have motion detectors, but how does one make a motion detector that is obviously and apparently a motion detector?)

Thanks for the compliments on the small stuff. That's the stuff I really enjoy making, and I thought I did a pretty good job on them. I'm glad to know someone agrees!
jon_p
Artisan

Post by jon_p »

Only 2? Oh, it seemed like more than that to me from the pictures but now that I have had another look I can see I was wrong!
I don't know about American churches (I'm a Canadian, eh!)
Oh sorry! I guess I didn't look at your location.. must have looked at another users! :oops:
I guess in the area I live in we don't worry about vandals or theifs much, as we don't have as much security in places like churches.
Yes, I always love the small details in MOCs. Although they may not be the hardest or most complicated part to build, they really add to the overall appearence of it.

Jon.
"We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!"

My Brickshelf gallery - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85183