Spreading the word of your LEGO hobby

Discussion of general LEGO topics
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

I am another homeschooler, but that does not isolate me in any way. :) All of my friends reconize my "hobby" as an obsession, but they take it pretty well. In fact, they think it downright cool. However, they themselves would rather be dead that be known as Lego fans by their friends. I try to keep it under wraps, but things like that just "come out" if you are in a conversation. I am proud of my hobby though, and I feel even more fortunate to belong in such a community where I can learn from others in regard to methods of building, certain techniques, etc. My greatest worry though is "What will I do when I go to college?" :? It is less then three years away, and I don't know what I will do. Drop Lego altogether? Split the collection with my siblings and take some with me? Leave the Legos here and start anew? Maybe Anthony or Jojo could help me here.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

lemon_squeezer2 wrote:I am another homeschooler, but that does not isolate me in any way. :) All of my friends reconize my "hobby" as an obsession, but they take it pretty well. In fact, they think it downright cool. However, they themselves would rather be dead that be known as Lego fans by their friends. I try to keep it under wraps, but things like that just "come out" if you are in a conversation. I am proud of my hobby though, and I feel even more fortunate to belong in such a community where I can learn from others in regard to methods of building, certain techniques, etc. My greatest worry though is "What will I do when I go to college?" :? It is less then three years away, and I don't know what I will do. Drop Lego altogether? Split the collection with my siblings and take some with me? Leave the Legos here and start anew? Maybe Anthony or Jojo could help me here.
I can help you too.. just give me all of your Lego :twisted:
pwnage
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Emperor James wrote:I can help you too.. just give me all of your Lego :twisted:
:roll: Let me think about this one.

Hmm. No. I don't think so :)

KP 2011!
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

lemon_squeezer2 wrote:
Emperor James wrote:I can help you too.. just give me all of your Lego :twisted:
:roll: Let me think about this one.

Hmm. No. I don't think so :)
What if I let you keep half? As long as its the non-castle half. :wink:
pwnage
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

And give away all my (over 1,000) precious old grey bricks? No way!

However, let us stop our silly comments before we completely derail this engaging and truly interesting thread.

KP 2011!
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

lemon_squeezer2 wrote:My greatest worry though is "What will I do when I go to college?" :? It is less then three years away, and I don't know what I will do. Drop Lego altogether? Split the collection with my siblings and take some with me? Leave the Legos here and start anew? Maybe Anthony or Jojo could help me here.
Keep the collection to yourself.

Take a few bits with you, leave the rest in a safe place where parents will not be tempted to throw it out, sell it or give it away.

Take a small complete MOC with you.

Build.

Go home when you need to resupply/swap out.

Build.

Take pictures.

Build.

Visit C-C.

Build.

Buy new LEGO sets.

Build.

Go to class occassionally.

Build.

Wash.

Rinse.

Repeat.

:mrgreen:

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
jon_p
Artisan

Post by jon_p »

My friends are cool with my hobby. Some of them enjoy playing with Lego themselves (well, my lego!) They like to see my sets on display and they don't find it childish..
Anyway, they have hobbies of their own. One of my friends collects warhammer and he has a bigger room for that than I have for my lego. So they (and I) don't have any problems with any of the things that we all like to do!

*Edited for spellings :oops: *

Jon.
"We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!"

My Brickshelf gallery - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85183
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

I sort of 'discreetly' steer the subject of any of our most intreaguing conversations with my classmates to lego when they give it a crossing referance. Rama-llama-ding dong, in a few days we are swapping pieces under the lunch table. I try to keep it discreet because I have a hard time enough fighting those popular megablocks-loving idiots off my back without giving them another weapon they could possibly use against me.

Emperor James, you said it out loud. The popular people got where they were by being loudmouths and idiots (At least the ones I met) and couldn't put two bricks together. But I'm still careful around them. I don't know if eighth grade will be different, but I have a whole list of people I don't want to see in my class.
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

When reading all those posts I came to the conclusion that the ages of the CC-members varies from about 12 to 57. (well that is me, I am afraid). And that is the same with the most average LEGO-clubs. This means that LEGO isn't childish at all. So, there no reason to denay your hobby whatsoever.

But I know, life at school can be a hard time. Nothing has changed in about 40 years time.
And I am happy I can live in the real world and can speak freely about my LEGO-hobby.
Nothing is as exhausting as living a kind of secret life.
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

I don't think you should ever be ashamed of your Lego hobby. I'm going to be a senior in high school. I go to boarding school and when I started as a freshman I stopped playing with Lego for a while. By my junior year, I begun playing with Lego again and I even brought my first big MOC ( http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=86858 ) to school.

Publicly sharing my Lego hobby has done anything but make me less popular or "cool". Even some girls like my Lego hobby :wink: .

It is hard to continue building while away at school. I now build mainly at home during my vacations, but every once and a while I sneak a couple of bricks into my dorm room. If anything, I regret not doing any Lego building for my first two years at high school.

-The Josh
Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

Living in the wilderness of Belfast, a public LEGO hobby is not particularly advisable. It doesn't help that I am a complete nerd. I enjoy Latin. I hid it until about the last week when a bag full of lego was brought into class, to be given to charity the next day. The teacher took it, but when he left the room, I was up there looting it. My friend Justin was doing this as well, and at about the same time, our eyes fell on a PITCHFORK. He grabbed it, and I literally fought him onto a desk, and all the while screaming "My pitchfork! Give me the bloody pitchfork!" I got away with it. People tease me about it. I don't care.
Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

Green Fox wrote:I literally fought him onto a desk, and all the while screaming "My pitchfork! Give me the bloody pitchfork!"
LOL....funny story! Good for you!
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Snipped
Green Fox wrote:Living in the wilderness of Belfast, a public LEGO hobby is not particularly advisable.
Belfast eh, I have family in Fermanagh around Knockninny. I haven't been to visit yet, but a trip is planned in '06. Are other parts of N.Ireland better for Lego enthusiasts than the wilderness around Belfast?

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Here's how my lego experience has gone:

6 or 7 got my first set in the hospital. every time I was in the hospital I got a new set. I was in the hospital a LOT.
11 or so became embarrassed that I liked action figures. Strangely enough I used to hide my collection of star wars figures behind the boxes of Lego. (no I have no idea why).
16+ got over the bit about the action figures.

When I was at that age that I should have been in college a lot of my friends used to come over to my house just to check out my set up. sometimes it would be a castle, sometimes a space station, sometimes an island (after the pirates came out).

My wife, sometimes she gets it, sometimes she doesnt. But I will tell you the coolest thing ever:
My son and I walk into a store and we argue about who is going to get what out of a set. Alex and I have the greatest time ever with Lego. He told me the other day that its pretty cool that I still play with toys and he wants to be just like me when he grows up. (scary thought I know)
I hope that the part he holds onto is to be who he is, and and not what he thinks other people want him to be...
(did I say that right? do you get it?)

:D

LEGO FREAK
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Yes having kids you can share your hobby with is great. Both my children have collections all their friends envy and after they are finished drooling over my kid's collections they get treated to "the basement". It may be messy and disorganized, but I bet there is more lego in my basement than there is in many toy departments. Having your kids tell their friends that their dad is "the coolest" because he builds lego with them is a great feeling. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.