Spreading the word of your LEGO hobby

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

Well, no offense to anyone, but I find it wise not to mention my Lego to anyone at school to be safe. I just stick to the historical stuff, but mostly rely on style. In the eighth grade, you need to act more maturely, and I wouldn't take achance on anything.
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Daimyo wrote:Well, no offense to anyone, but I find it wise not to mention my Lego to anyone at school to be safe. I just stick to the historical stuff, but mostly rely on style. In the eighth grade, you need to act more maturely, and I wouldn't take achance on anything.
I'm afraid that you've got it backwards. In seventh grade, you've got to act mor maturely, because everyone is really less mature, and in eighth grade you can act less maturely, because everyone is really more mature :wink:

That aside, the only people who look down on my Lego hobby are the "popular" group, and I learned long ago that their opinions are worthless 8)
pwnage
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

Emperor James wrote:
Daimyo wrote:Well, no offense to anyone, but I find it wise not to mention my Lego to anyone at school to be safe. I just stick to the historical stuff, but mostly rely on style. In the eighth grade, you need to act more maturely, and I wouldn't take achance on anything.
I'm afraid that you've got it backwards. In seventh grade, you've got to act mor maturely, because everyone is really less mature, and in eighth grade you can act less maturely, because everyone is really more mature :wink:

That aside, the only people who look down on my Lego hobby are the "popular" group, and I learned long ago that their opinions are worthless 8)
Off-Topic: Considering I'm a member of that particular crowd, I disagree. :x
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
xxbattosaixx
Foot Soldier

Post by xxbattosaixx »

I'm sure he didn't mean that in a bad way.He's just talking about the "making fun of" thing.(At least I think he doesn't)
- Tom
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Daimyo wrote:Off-Topic: Considering I'm a member of that particular crowd, I disagree. :x
Ahhh.... then won't get into my crusade.

So I'll just sum it up like this: I tend to disregard the opinions of people who think that Lego is stupid.
pwnage
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Daimyo wrote:
Emperor James wrote: I'm afraid that you've got it backwards. In seventh grade, you've got to act mor maturely, because everyone is really less mature, and in eighth grade you can act less maturely, because everyone is really more mature :wink:

Off-Topic: Considering I'm a member of that particular crowd, I disagree. :x
There's no need to take offense!
There are two types of people who form the popular crowd. The first type of people are the ones that Mr. James is talking about, who have gotten where they are only because they are good looking, play a particular sport well or simply because they dress the right way. Sadly, these people make up the majority of the popular crowd.
The other people that make up the popular crowd are the ones that are genuinely cool people who are deserving of the popularity that's been given them (that's not to say that they can't be good looking, athletic, or fashionably sound, but their strongest asset is their personality). Perhaps Mr. Daimyo is a member of this group?
I know this is off-topic, but I'm hoping to quell a potential argument before it escalates. Now, back to the intended discussion!
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Emperor James wrote:So I'll just sum it up like this: I tend to disregard the opinions of people who think that Lego is stupid.
Because, in other words, those people don't anything! :wink:

LEGO is cool, LEGO is mature, LEGO is 'da-thing'. Do not be ashamed of your hobby.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Ahhhhhh, the joys of peer pressure. My son almost always has some project every year that he does with Lego (and 8th grade rears its head in just a few days). Doesn't seem to get any flack for it - you just have to pull it off with style. 8)
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

[

Ahhhhhh, the joys of peer pressure. My son almost always has some project every year that he does with Lego (and 8th grade rears its head in just a few days). Doesn't seem to get any flack for it - you just have to pull it off with style. 8)[/quote]

Sounds cool man. 8)
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

My coworkers all think it's pretty cool that I build Lego stuff.

Of course, we write computer code, so take it with a grain of salt.

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

All my friends know i play with legos.... im in college

They already think im pretty strange, so it doesnt matter too much. They're pretty strange themselves

Oh yea! and I havent found any pros to being mature... I've thought about it a lot tooo.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

For me, school is a thing of the past, of course. but still, when I meet new people, and they ask what hobbies I have, I like it to say: "I still play a bit with my LEGO". The different reactions are always very amusing.
When they know me better and know more about my hobby, they don't laugh anymore.

And besides, LEGO is only a hobby like other hobbies, so what is wrong with it.

No reason to denay or disguise it... :)
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I came out of my dark ages back when I was in college and still in the dorm. My roommate thought it was kinda cool, mainly because I was illustrating a novelette with medieval minifigs (my roommate is a pretty hardcore Tolkien fan).

Most everyone else in the dorm looked at it with mild curiosity, very few thought it was stupid or immature.

Of course everything changed when I began walking around the dorm holding (and petting... preccioooooouuussssss) a black dragon's head in my hand. And when I finally finished the black dragon, and had her posed on my chair next to my desk, my LEGO hobby turned everyone from mild curiosity to full fledged awe. I even had a few fans who'd turn up just to see what I was working on next.

"DUDE!" was an expression I heard quite frequently. I even got some of the RA's in on it, one of them lent me their digital camera so I could share with the folks on Lugnet.

Of course it helped that my roommate and I always left our door open when we were home in the dorm room (something I would highly recommend to anyone thinking of attending college). Our room made more than one person stop in their tracks and walk in.

Off-Topic: Those of you going to college: Spend at least one year living in the on-campus dorms, and I highly recommend it be your first year if you only stay one year there. Don't participate in all the stupid stuff (just some), but the human interaction and the friendships you will make will make you will grow as an individual by leaps and bounds. I know I did, I was a totally different person before college.

Back On-Topic: Don't be ashamed of your LEGO hobby. The LEGO Hobby has time and again proven itself as a master tool for imagination, engineering and heck, it's just plain clean fun! If your friends and family don't "get it", that's fine, let them wallow in their ignorance. And while you lock yourself away and build, they will simply have to wonder what that smile on your face is from.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Daimyo wrote:In the eighth grade, you need to act more maturely,.
Thank goodness I'm all grown up and no longer have to act maturely. :P

Bruce
Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

Well I`m really grown up...verging on old age....and frankly I don`t care what people think of my collecting habit. Our house is full of toys...and more than half of them belong to Hubby and me, not the kids. For us it`s normal.

It`s our individualities that make us unique people after all. Who wants to be a clone? Boring. And anyone who thinks that having an absorbing and interesting hobby like Lego, which is actually quite an intellectually demanding one, especially once it branches out into digital photography and websites...well, anyone who thinks that makes a person immature is a bit immature themselves.