Pokemon legos

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Daimyo wrote:Pokemon, face it, it's like, the most laughable thing of the decade. You look back and say, "Haha, that sucked soooo bad," and realize you should of spent all that money you wasted on then expensive, now worthless card on a good book worth elevating your now wasted intelligence. Yup. I really am in the mood to rant today :-)
I'm not trying to defend pokemon, but priciple. Something is only a waste if you accept it. I myself spent money buying some Pkmn games back in the day, was it a waste? no! Did I have fun? yes!

Do I need people telling me which hobbies are "worthless" and which ones are better.

But where getting severly off topic here.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

I don't think LEGO is quite stupid enough to start with Pokemon LEGO, even when it was very popular - It, at least to me, was quite obviously a fad which would eventually die.

Myself, I never spent a cent on Pokemon. Although I did have a bunch of them. Basically, what happened is I got a couple cards from a friend of mine, started this trading thing, and eventually ended up with about 100 of them, some worth a lot. I never really knew anything about them, though. I just sort of tried to fit in with it.

However, I don't think insulting it is at all appropriate. Many kids did have lots of fun with it, and that's the important part. I personally don't think it was worth it, if I had spent any money on it, but hey, I didn't spend a cent on it. Don't insult what you don't like, especially rudely. Sure, you don't have to hold your tongue at everything, when done in a civil manner it can be a very educational thing to have an agreement.

Personally, I am glad LEGO didn't do Pokemon - However, if they made them into good parts packs...who knows?! :)
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Regardless of your feelings toward Pokemon, let's try to keep the ranting to a dull roar or we will be forced to lock this topic.

Thanks.

-Mgmt
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

My eight year old son would kill for Pokemon or Yu Gi Oh Lego. Seriously. And guess who is more representative of TLC`s target market? Us or him?

But they won`t make either, because the craze for both is already over its peak. What`s going to be the craze for eight year old boys in two years time? That`s what they`ll be thinking of now. And how they got their fingers moderately burned with SWs Lego.

TLC would make plastic dog poo bricks if it sold millions of $ or £ worth, sorry. What we adult fans want doesn`t really come into it.
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

If only the next hype could be something made by TLC, preferably castle":D"

and not something that they have to get a license from WB to produce...

-JOEL
I'm back, and so is Castle!
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

I think there would be one major drawback to the pokemon. They are too small to be brick-built so they would probably be one piece, and the larger ones would look something like the orient expedition beasts :?

And also there are hundreds of them so they never would make them all.

But if they were made they would be hard to incorportate into non-pokemon themes. Its like the yoda head thing, it can't be anything else but yoda.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

kajo163 wrote:If only the next hype could be something made by TLC,
Currently (At least the last couple years, and I never noticed it end,) one of the most popular fads with younger kids here iss Bionicle. My mom is a substitute teacher at the elementary school, and she said it was extremely popular with kids there. The only problem was, they lost pieces easily. Hey, it may be Bionicle, but it's still LEGO.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

J1A3L5 wrote:
kajo163 wrote:If only the next hype could be something made by TLC,
Currently (At least the last couple years, and I never noticed it end,) one of the most popular fads with younger kids here iss Bionicle. My mom is a substitute teacher at the elementary school, and she said it was extremely popular with kids there. The only problem was, they lost pieces easily. Hey, it may be Bionicle, but it's still LEGO.
Yes well all research shows Bionicle Fans grow up to be Space and Mecha builders.

I guess Castlonicle fans would have an inclination to grow up into castle, but I doubt its as possible as Bionicle.

DM
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I do not like Pokemon, and I never have or will. But there is no denying that great many kids in my generation did, and some still do, enjoy it immensely.

That does not mean that Lego should have, or still should, make Pokemon items. As mentioned, the license would be killer. Also, because they were, very obviously, a fad, destined to be quickly replaced, by the time Lego got some sets on the market, it would quite possibly be waning or over.

Besides, Lego needs to start its own fads (and whatever we may think about Bionicles, they have been VERY successful in that field). Not only will it increase their profits above others, they won't be forced to shell out those profits to another party.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Lady Val wrote:My eight year old son would kill for Pokemon or Yu Gi Oh Lego. Seriously. And guess who is more representative of TLC`s target market? Us or him?
Val, you should really point your son towards the gallery that Dragon Master cited:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=57571

That builder, Azumu, has some really clever creations (check out his/her other folders as well).
Lady Val wrote: TLC would make plastic dog poo bricks if it sold millions of $ or £ worth.
I think that would be the Harry Potter rat element in the new brown.

Bruce
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

What we need is Yu-gi-oh legos...because they might have some parts to make monsters...but most likely they would be made like the deluxe minifigures...*The Yeti,Tiger,and Jun-Chi from Orient Expedition*
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Sir Vincent wrote:What we need is Yu-gi-oh legos...because they might have some parts to make monsters...but most likely they would be made like the deluxe minifigures...*The Yeti,Tiger,and Jun-Chi from Orient Expedition*
That's about the same thing, but now that you've said it Daimyo is going to comment...
pwnage
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Sir Vincent wrote:What we need is Yu-gi-oh legos...because they might have some parts to make monsters...but most likely they would be made like the deluxe minifigures...*The Yeti,Tiger,and Jun-Chi from Orient Expedition*
I don't think that Yu Gi Oh is quite as big today as Pokemon was at the height of its popularity. If Lego didn't make Pokemon then, they won't make Yu Gi Oh now. And anyway, they claim to be moving away from franchised sets to lines of their own invention. Yu Gi Oh will never be made, and in my opinion at least, that is a very good thing.
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

The point that Lego seems to have missed for several years now is that they should MAKE SETS THAT STAND ON THEIR OWN rather than glomming onto the popularity of children's fads. I think every one of us here can cite examples of products, television shows, etc. that have been the rage for three years and failed to stand the test of time.

Compare this to Lego, which has a demonstrably sizable community of old farts like me who spend more of our time than is healthy in similar pursuits to their childhood years! Why is this? Because the real beauty of Lego is that their parts can adapt to whatever a person's interests happen to be. My interests have changed over time, from spaceships to current and historical militaria to castles to modelling real-life objects to odd abstract pieces to ABS visual sarcasm, but I have had the power to realize these interests through Lego construction.

Lego's strength and brand identity is that they sell creativity and possibility, masquerading as small plastic pieces. A 2 x 4 brick by itself is an odd thing. One can't come up with too many uses for it. It gains value only when combined with other pieces (truly, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts). The brick is exciting because of what it may become rather than what it is.

That's probably why I find licenses both appealing and repellant--appealing on the micro view and repellant on the macro. For the micro view, the specialized, license-specific parts of the license add to what I may create. For example, however good a builder I am, I cannot create a minifig that looks remotely like Darth Vader. Therefore, I could not create Star Wars scenes nearly as well without Lego's license with Lucasfilm. But on the large scale, the existence of these licenses removes the desire to create--why bother building an X-wing when a myriad of sets in different scales are produced by Lego?

Just my random musings.

Carl
Last edited by cnelson on Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

cnelson wrote:The point that Lego seems to have missed for several years now is that they should MAKE SETS THAT STAND ON THEIR OWN rather than glomming onto the popularity of children's fads.
This kinda takes us off the Pokemon topic, but I'll respond to this anyway since Pokemon makes me queasy, and getting away from it is no major failing in my mind.

Not only should Lego make sets that are their own, and not based on the popularity of some fad, (Okay, Star Wars, Spiderman, and Harry Potter aren't exactly short fads, but while these will be popular stories for a long time to come, they ARE licensed.) but they ought to go back to the idea of every set be self-contained.

Or, if they want to go with the "get every set so that you have the complete collection" gimmick, they should make the sets actually work together when combined. So instead of getting every set to complete "the Story" (I'm thinking Orient Expedition here), you would want to get every set to complete "the Big Set" (I'm thinking something along the lines of the Castle modules in the 80s.)

Just my thoughts inspired by that one line, cnelson wrote.