MOC Burnout

Discussion of general LEGO topics
SSchmidt
Merchant

MOC Burnout

Post by SSchmidt »

So, just curious as to how often you guys get "burnt out" on LEGO. I never really get "burnt out" on LEGO, but do get burnt out on MOC's I think.
I find it helps to build different scenes and different settings in order not to get this way.

I am currently building different little mini scenes with Lurtz from Lord of the Rings to make it less likely i'll get tired of building.

Do you guys ever get MOC burnout, in which you either, don't know what to build, or just don't want to build?

I continue to order, buy on sale, and find sets and build them frequently (that doesn't get old), but sometime I have to take a break from MOC's.

Also, if I spent half the time sorting and building MOC's as I do on lurking this website, I would have to buy a new external hard drive just for LEGO pictures!
PSN: SSchmidt-
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/copy_of_lionhearttorso.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9561546705_8f26947042_o.jpg[/img]
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Re: MOC Burnout

Post by soccerkid6 »

If I get tired of building, it's usually because I'm not excited about the project I'm working on. In that case I just keep building anyways and as it starts to take shape I get more excited about it. As you said varying what you build helps too :)
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

The condition you're describing is commonly referred to as "Builders Block" and is somewhat common. If you find yourself in that situation, varying what you're doing will help you get past it. Take a week off from building to play with fig combos or to work on sorting that tub of loose brick you've been putting off getting to and then come back fresh with new ideas that you've been coming up with during the week. Sometimes you'll build some figs that you really love and you'll want to build something to showcase them, which can help get rid of the blockage. :)
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

I want to build. I just dont have time or space :(
OverLoad
Steward

Post by OverLoad »

After I finish a massive diorama or relatively large MOC, i tend to feel builder's block as to what to build next. To combat this, I just make sure to tinker around a bit until I get an idea formulated, then I go with it. If I end up not liking it, then I just build something else.

I have a lot of building time as of late, so there's no stifling the process due to a busy schedule.
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128569443@N02/]-New Flickr-[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MrGray]-Brickshelf-[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=24758]-Tales of the Nortlen-[/url]
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

I get builder's block very frequently, and combat it by brainstorming idea and looking at other Mocs for inspiration. I sometimes have the reverse problem in which their is so much I want to build but so little time that I just end up building nothing. In either case it is an annoying phenomenon.
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Another thing you can do is try to stimulate your creativity by "building" in another medium. For example, get out a sketch pad and draw up some layouts, tower ideas, etc. These don't have to be drawn with Lego in mind (ie, don't limit yourself by thinking "how can I build this?")

Once you have a few things that you like, use that as a launching point for your next MOC and let it evolve from there :)

Another fun thing is once you've got an idea, try to challenge yourself by making it a goal to use one or two new techniques that you've seen others use and have liked. This can add an extra challenge that I find to be a lot of fun.
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

I once created a moc a day...long story...but in the end I miss those days because I wasn't so concerned with making things proper...I just built. A lot of it wasn't worthy to show, but I had fun. But now, I am far more discriminating in what I build. Partially it is because my collection is an unholy mess...but most of it has to do with having a very stressful job and the desire to build. Now I rarely want to build something small, but when I do I thoroughly enjoy the build.

So I guess the point of this is, quantity over happiness...now that is the question. If you are happy sorting and not building something at the time, so be it. If you want to break that, like the others have suggested, build something else. I more often build pirate than castle now a days, but that has to do with when I build castle...I go big. And pirate is just so wickedly fun and I'm always involved in some kind of challenge for that. Currently, I'm building...well I also build in the "girly" area.

And I do agree that sketching always helps...well at least me. I always draw out scale drawings of my castle builds. Google image search castles. Watch a great castle movie...I always go classic movies for that...and by classic I'm talking prior to 1960's. Like Errol Flynn's Robinhood. Check out a Renaissance or Medieval Fair. Or just get yourself a rocking awesome Nerf sword and have a good sword battle with someone.

But...I am of the thought that whatever you are doing...enjoy your hobby...build, sort, don't build, check out stuff..just be happy.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

I was thinking of posting something similar to this at work today.

For the past few months I have been working on a 1:1 scale Dalek. Now since I have never taken on such a huge project before, and with my collection still one that is mostly from buying sets, I have had to do a lot of purchasing off of Bricklink, PaB, and such. Never having had a project that I had had to wait on multiple Bricklink orders to complete, it is rather trying my patience. Many times it has also been hard to actually do some building when said parts do arrive. I generally get the bug to build during the middle of work, or after I have gone to bed. Or when I am at my dad's place during a weekend. I rarely get the urge to do it when I actually have the bricks in front of me. Being gone 10+ hours a day at work doesn't do much for stamina. On the plus side, being forced to take my time has resulted in a lot of tinkering, and in a lot of cases, a much better looking piece of the Dalek puzzle.

I have found the biggest problem with building such a brick intensive project is my inability to build much else. I figure, when I finish my Dalek, I will have used more than 50% of all my collection, and probably more than 75% of my actual bricks All my black, white (obviously, being Blacktron coloured) plus my blue and grey, are almost all used already. Red and yellow are also steadily dropping. And the Dalek is maybe half done. For the most part, my non-Dalek building has been mostly tweaking other stuff, and things for my comic. I have such a backlog of stuff I want to build, and the inability to build any of it is frustrating.

Just my two cents.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
SSchmidt
Merchant

Post by SSchmidt »

Good to see so much input on this topic.

I do fear I am suffering builders block at the moment. As some have suggested, I will look to build minifigs, take a break, and just enjoy all of your company during the time :)
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/copy_of_lionhearttorso.jpg[/img]
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

SSchmidt wrote:Good to see so much input on this topic.

I do fear I am suffering builders block at the moment. As some have suggested, I will look to build minifigs, take a break, and just enjoy all of your company during the time :)
Sounds good. And also I think I found the source for you being burnt out. Based on the last Lenfald score update you did like 6 builds in the past month! :D
SSchmidt
Merchant

Post by SSchmidt »

friskywhiskers wrote:
SSchmidt wrote:Good to see so much input on this topic.

Sounds good. And also I think I found the source for you being burnt out. Based on the last Lenfald score update you did like 6 builds in the past month! :D
Ugh I know!

I try to build different ones to learn new techniques and become a better builder (I realize my building is bad, and it will only get better with practice). But it's given me builders block building those little small builds. Maybe if I focused on a bigger project, like a castle, or fort, then I could work slowly and become a better builder.
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

I try to build different ones to learn new techniques and become a better builder (I realize my building is bad, and it will only get better with practice
None of that! No!! You are a fine builder. Never compare yourself to others and see yourself as less. Don't make me get out a brick to sling at you! Image Because as you see..that will in fact hurt. But all kidding about the bricking aside, I am serious about no negativity about what you build.

Hobbies are for fun. Are you having fun? Then who cares if your work doesn't look like everyone's? Just have fun!
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
SSchmidt
Merchant

Post by SSchmidt »

Bluesecrets wrote:
I try to build different ones to learn new techniques and become a better builder (I realize my building is bad, and it will only get better with practice
None of that! No!! You are a fine builder. Never compare yourself to others and see yourself as less. Don't make me get out a brick to sling at you! Image Because as you see..that will in fact hurt. But all kidding about the bricking aside, I am serious about no negativity about what you build.

Hobbies are for fun. Are you having fun? Then who cares if your work doesn't look like everyone's? Just have fun!
No brick hitting please Blue! I've stepped on enough in my life! :lol:

In all seriousness, I do have a blast building, so that is what counts. I would however, like to continue to get better at the same time too! :wink:
I want to be able to build bigger projects, but I fear, with my current limited skills, that those projects won't look the best to me. And then I won't be having fun.

I guess that's why I want to be a better builder. :)
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

Blue, for some people it is fun to try to advance ones skills and try to be the best builder out there. You have created many discussions about this, but that it just your view. I personally would not enjoy the hobby as much if I didn't look at other people to see how I could improve. I do enjoy the actual process of building, but I also enjoy being complimented on my work. People will not compliment me on my work If I never try to improve and be the best I can. Sometimes it is neccessary to be critical of ones self, is all I am saying. :)

To stop this from being an off topic post: SScmiddt, I have found a perfect way to stay involved with lenfald while you are on your break, look for a PM from me.