those pesky baseplates

Discussion of general LEGO topics
PsychoPixie
Villein

those pesky baseplates

Post by PsychoPixie »

I have a question.

How the heck to you utilize those baseplates that have no underside attachment ability? The ones that cannot be used on top of anything?

I really want to use one of my green ones higher up, like as a plateu piece and build a sloping hill below it. But dang it, there is nothing to stick it to!!!

Pesky buggers dont co-operate and are slightly thinner that the standard base plate pieces that CAN attach to stuff easy.

images of suggestion would be awesome, but a description would work too.
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Re: those pesky baseplates

Post by AK_Brickster »

It's my understanding that if you set a base plate on top of two regular plates, the thickness is equal to one brick.

In this way, you can build a 32x32 "frame" (or whatever dimension your base plate is) that is recessed by one plate thickness relative to the surrounding area. Then, just drop the base plate into your recessed 32x32 and it should match up with everything around it. The recessed cavity will keep it from sliding around, since it will be blocked in on all sides.

This should help: http://brickwiki.info/wiki/Baseplate_Plus_Brick

Does that answer your question?
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
ffilz
Foot Soldier

Re: those pesky baseplates

Post by ffilz »

Yes, two plates plus baseplate is extremely close to one brick.

To look good, obviously you need a frame around the baseplate, and then you will want at least a couple bricks stuck to both baseplate studs and frame studs to keep the baseplate in position (unless you actually want to be able to lift it out).

Frank