Collectible Minifigures Series 11

Discussion of general LEGO topics
bronx
Foot Soldier

Re: Collectible Minifigures Series 11

Post by bronx »

rogue27 wrote:I love robots, but the girl robot seems... ridiculous.
This is pretty much how I felt, looking over this photo.

I'm really liking the Barbarian's face, but I think it's a very indistinct copy of the Gladiator. It's a very similar torso with a similar pair of Jungle Boy's legs (they added boots, I know).

The Scarecrow would have very easily been my favorite if the face had been mean; the smiley does nothing for me, almost making it undesirable.

The Yeti and Tiki Warrior are my favorites. I would have liked one of the new elaborate spears for the Warrior and a separate head piece for the Yeti, but they're still my favorites.

The Blues Brother, Elf and Cop are some others I really like.
Ferretclaw
Artisan

Post by Ferretclaw »

Hmm, lego seems to really enjoy putting a crow on a minifigures head these days. First Tonto, now the scarecrow... Whats next?

If you wanted you could put a crow on the new castle princess' head. She has a little hole for a peg on the top of her headpiece :lol:
"All that is gold does not glitter..." ~LOTR
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98506221@N08/
Mocpages: http://mocpages.com/home.php/103548
[img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3834/95487351 ... 3d8e_t.jpg[/img]
andhe
Barber-Surgeon

Post by andhe »

The eurobricks review is up http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p ... 85145&st=0

For those just wanting stats the breakdown is (per box):

6 Yetis
6 Mountain Climbers
6 Welders
6 Constables

4 Barbarians
4 Lady Robots
4 Evil Mechs
4 Gingerbread Men
4 Holiday Elves
4 Scientists

2 Jazz Musicians
2 Diner Waitresses
2 Grandmas
2 Tiki Warriors
2 Scarecrows
2 Bavarian Ladies

I'd rather we saw more '4s' than 6s and 2s but I guess there are reasons for that.

Still a bit disappointed with the Barbarian, would have liked a new sword or hairpiece, but nice printing and you do get two swords.

The welder's face could be good for castle stuff, stubble and dirt.

My prediction is the Scarecrow is going to be a popular one. It fits in a lot of themes, City, Castle and Superheroes. The 'skydiver' or the series for me, is the mountain Climber.
Less talking, more MOCing.

https://www.instagram.com/classicstylecastle/
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

6 mountain climbers AND 6 welders?

Army Building: You're doing it wrong, TLG!
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

No, they are doing what every company who makes collectibles does...make things that people want a little bit harder to get. And remember, we aren't the target audience. Kids don't want the armies that we do. And there is the fact that castle, while an ever green line, is not a big percentage of the sales.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
SSchmidt
Merchant

Post by SSchmidt »

I was very enthused about this set when I saw the teaser pictures, but now I am feeling more and more apathetic about it.

The tiki warrior breakdown reminds of the Aztec figure. Those guys were so hard I get.

And I am in agreement with the female robot. She just seems like a disappointment.

And to be honest, I don't even care so much for the barbarian. He has two short swords (which are sweet) but which are in a color that is very easy to acquire. His torso and legs aren't anything we haven't really seen (inspite of their newness) and his hair piece is a little boring to me.

The grandma hairpiece is good, but I think it will have a hard time meshing with other female headpieces.

I do like the scarecrow, yeti and gingerbread man, but overall I am feeling about how I did with series 10. It started off awesome, but really just went downhill :(
PSN: SSchmidt-
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/copy_of_lionhearttorso.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9561546705_8f26947042_o.jpg[/img]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Bluesecrets wrote:No, they are doing what every company who makes collectibles does...make things that people want a little bit harder to get.
If that's the case, that's a pretty jerk move by TLG. Considering most kids don't know how to feel for the right fig, it's pretty lame if TLG is purposefully making it hard to get certain figs so that these poor kids end up with piles and piles of mountain climbers or welders while trying to find a scarecrow. (or worse, their parents get sick of wasting money on the wrong figs, and the kid never gets the one he wanted)
Str0ngbad
Laborer

Post by Str0ngbad »

Six yetis! I'm gonna have a Bumble army!
Toilet paper goes over not under.
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

If that's the case, that's a pretty jerk move by TLG. Considering most kids don't know how to feel for the right fig,
It was never the intention that anyone would feel to find these figs. They were supposed to be a blind buy. Just be happy they haven't started putting cardboard inserts in the envelopes like some other blind buy packs are.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I preferred the older 3, 4, 5 distribution to the current 2, 4, 6 distribution. The current distribution makes the common figs too common, and the rare figs too rare. However, the 2, 4, 6 distribution became necessary when they started selling 30-pack boxes.

If it were up to me, there would be 15 figures in each series; 4 of each in a 60-box or 2 of each in a 30-box. Of course, this is why I'm not in marketing.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Bluesecrets wrote:It was never the intention that anyone would feel to find these figs. They were supposed to be a blind buy.
That's exactly my point. Knowing that kids are buying the packs blind, it's really lame to make the distribution so lopsided that kids have very little chance of just stumbling on the rarer figures by grabbing a random bag.

I'm not saying it's a bad business practice, and whatever they've researched to come up with this is probably based on some sort of marketing scheme, but I just think it's lame of them to do it.
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

I'm not saying it's a bad business practice, and whatever they've researched to come up with this is probably based on some sort of marketing scheme, but I just think it's lame of them to do it.
Did you ever think that maybe the "rare" figs are the ones that didn't test as well as the ones with more numbers in them with kids, who are the target market? I have no doubt that everything is based on research and sound business decisions.

Regardless, I'm happy with the spread of figs. It isn't like they are so hard to find like series 1 was that you can't get what you want. And it isn't like you can't find use for the different parts of each fig.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

White Fang always does a great job of reviewing the CMS. Thanks for linking it since I just don't have time for EB. The new photos have given me some more thoughts on the series.
1 - The Barbarian - He's alright. I wish he looked more like the Heroica barbarian. I wouldn't be disappointed if I ended up with him.

2 - The Scarecrow - I still love it. The hat, the crow, the torso and leg print, all awesome. Even the head is ok. He can still be evil in a manacial way. :sly:

3 - Bavarian Lady - Love the torso and hair piece. A pretzel is cool, but a cup for some Swiss Miss hot chocolate makes more sense to me. The big question is why the cloth piece as opposed to printing? There are a few in this series alone that could have used cloth waist apparel.

4 - Evil Mech - Cool minifig - I like the continuation of the Blacktron theme.

5 - Tiki Warrior - Really cool minifig. The face looks pretty good.

6 - Gingerbread man - I have to get at least one for my wife.

7 - Holiday elf - I wouldn't mind having a few of these. Time for Brick Fortress to come out with some new mini-legs.

8 - Yeti - Looks great. I need at least one. I hope that Popsicle is Trans medium blue so it glows in UV light. I still can't help but wonder how he'd have looked with a normal head and an over part like Hagrid's beard?

9 - Mountain Climber - I like the head. The rest is boring. The coil rope is nothing special. I'm sure a custom vendor will make a better piece down the road.

10 - Welder - Just a cool all around minifig. I especially like the face and helmet.

11 - Scientist - Love it. The hand color is kinda rare to me. I wish they'd have given her different hair or at least a different color.

12 - Jazz musician - Love the torso and nice to have a sax.

13 - Diner waitress - She's not all that bad. I am hoping to see someone make an appropriate MOC since I'd never get around to it.

14 - Grandma - She's ok. I wouldn't mind having just one, but I'll probably BL for her parts.

15 - Constable - Neat minifig. He's not really my thing, but still cool to see done.

16 - Lady Robot - Other than a Jettson's Moc, I don't care about this minifig.

This series has a nice assortment of pieces and parts. When you see how some of the figs go together from others series, it makes you want TLG or TLC (whichever they are calling themselves these days) to make sets around the characters. However, when seeing some of the sets they come out with, it makes me happy they just make the minifigs.
Army Building is way overrated dude :wink: Good thing we have BL and custom vendors to make up for marketing and research blunders.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

Why no love for the girl robot? She'll make a great "giant toy" in my Christmas village this year (alongside her male counterpart and the Toy Soldier that came with the guidebook). It's funny how many people are pouncing on the Gingerbread Man, Holiday Elf, and Yeti for Christmas scenes and not realizing how well the Lady Robot also works.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Karalora wrote:Why no love for the girl robot? She'll make a great "giant toy" in my Christmas village this year (alongside her male counterpart and the Toy Soldier that came with the guidebook). It's funny how many people are pouncing on the Gingerbread Man, Holiday Elf, and Yeti for Christmas scenes and not realizing how well the Lady Robot also works.

I had seen the name "Female Robot" before the pictures were revealed, and I had imagined something very different. I think it's okay now, but it's still not among my favorites.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]