it makes me a better builder
22%

Total votes: 37

Loneranger
Landlord

music and LEGO?

Post by Loneranger »

Hello all you C-C members!

I was wondering since I do this, do any of you listen to music while building your castles/customs?

I'm sure most of you do, but are there any intense builders that just think it's "annoying" to have music playing in the backround?

I for one love music, and I think it helps me to relax and build some awesome stuff :D

LR
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

I listen to the Beatles, usually. I have never found it annoying yet.
pwnage
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Where is the "it makes no difference" option?

Really it doesn't.

I usually jam out to the History Channel when I build though :wink:

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

I have music going no matter what I'm doing, well almost everything. It relaxes, inspires and makes me happy. Can't really list what kinds, I have way too much music in way too many different categories.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

This was a topic for my art classes when I was in college. Generally speaking, music was preferred over quiet, but only if instrumental. Some did like music with lyrics, but the majority found lyrics distracting.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
fcarcanague
Laborer

Post by fcarcanague »

Music at all times usualy. Building is either Jethro Tull or Led Zeppelin (sp?), something about the time frame and the music I listen to. Both bring thoughts of midevil times. Pink Floyd is another good listening while building group. In rare mode there is the old stand by of classical music or electronic instrumentals (ie: Tangerine Dream). But no matter what there HAS to be music for me.

Fred
Please visit updates once in a while
http://www.carcanague.com/
Need more Spare Parts [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Carcanague]Spare Bricks 4 You[/url]
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

You definitely need a 'makes no difference' category. I usually listen to music, but I don't think it improves my building. Sure, listening to some of my orchestra CDs or to my bagpipes album can sometimes help me get into the right frame of mind, but I'm much more often in the mood for hard rock, which does nothing to help or hinder my building.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

While building, I usually listen to up-beat, lyrical songs. Usually Country Music or the occassional 'Weird Al' binge. I like to sing along with the songs while I build, it helps calm me down while sorting through my unsorted bins (which I really need to buckle down and sort someday).

While online, either browsing the forum, doing MOC research on Brickshelf, or browsing Bricklink for all the stuff I can't afford, I usually listen to instrumental stuff, mainly game music. If I feel I need more inspiration to build medieval stuff, I listen to the music from Lords of the Realm II, the game from which I get the music for my online movies. May they never be angry with me for doing so.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

I tend to listen to music, but thats mainly to drown out the sound of me rustling through lego bins (as me wife really hates the sound).

whatever i listen to, its gotta be something that wont annoy me to listen to repeatedly, as i constantly forget to change the cd. something like nora jones or kaki king works.

-lenyu
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

I generally listen to music, but while building MOC's that take pieces out of my larger part bins the rumbling through them drowns out the music, so it doesn't always turn out that well. I basically just listen to what I normally do: Metal/Death Metal/hardcore/new metal. I don't specifically find a type good for building.

That said, the band Rammstein is good for working on things that require concentration. It works like instrumental music for me: Since I can't understand the lyrics, there's nothing to distract me.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I am still stuck in 1991. I usually listen to Nirvana "Bleach" its not as pretty an album as "Nevermind", but I used to read Tolkien to it so has become a staple of my listening library when I am building or reading. I find music to be another creative outlet and can be heard mangling many a song while I sing along and build. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

It depends what kind of music Im listening to. Usually I like things nice and quiet when I build. However setting up a scene needs a cool theme music.

The music files from the Shogun:Total War and Medieval:Total War really goes nicely with some Ancients stuff. Music from any C&C game or shooter game is just right with my Military theme.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

SavaTheAggie wrote:While building, I usually listen to up-beat, lyrical songs. Usually Country Music or the occassional 'Weird Al' binge. I like to sing along with the songs while I build, it helps calm me down while sorting through my unsorted bins (which I really need to buckle down and sort someday).

While online, either browsing the forum, doing MOC research on Brickshelf, or browsing Bricklink for all the stuff I can't afford, I usually listen to instrumental stuff, mainly game music. If I feel I need more inspiration to build medieval stuff, I listen to the music from Lords of the Realm II, the game from which I get the music for my online movies. May they never be angry with me for doing so.

--Anthony
the music/game lords of the realm, Great game dude. the second one was the best and the 3rd, I dont know about. maybe someday I'll stop buying lego and buy the game ;)

LR
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

You need another option.

Like, Sometimes, because that is the case for me.

Or maybe, It-Doesn't-Matter, because that is also the case.

Seriously, I like listening to music, and I often do when alone, hence when building, but it doesn't affect my skill level, and isn't necessary to get me into the mood. Its nice to have a background distraction for the less hands-on part of the brain, though.