What to do with those @#$%^ Megabox...

Discussion of general LEGO topics
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

MaxiVisVires wrote:
That Dragon rocks! Come on. How could you not just a bit want to have that dragon. Which one of you could say that you wouldn't beyond any doubt want that dragion just a tiny bit?
Once you start throwing in big stuff like that I feel that you're no longer playing with building blocks but with action figures and so forth. And then we'll see Transformers thrown in for Space MOC's and Digimon for Castle. Where do you draw the line? Pre-molded stuff sucks. :?
Oh. So you don't like the LEGO dragon. It's all pre-molded except the wings. And besides who said anything about transformers in space mocs? Dragons are castle. transformers are not space. And Digimon is certainly not castle. And technically that megabloks dragon is pretty much in realictic scale. Dragons are supposed to be big and bad. I know I'm stepping on some toes here but don't say that everything about megabloks are bad. I s LEGO perfect?
Last edited by forester3291 on Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Space rocks.
MaxiVisVires
Squire
Location: San Diego, CA If I was any closer to LEGOLand, I'd be living there

Post by MaxiVisVires »

Oh. So you don't like the LEGO dragon. It's all pre-molded except the wings. And besides who said anything about transformers in space mocs? Dragons are castle. transformers are not space. And Digimon is certainly not castle. And technically that megabloks dragon is pretty much in realictic scale. Dragons are supposed to be big and bad.

I was giving you example, I'm not saying that's what's happening or is going to happen.

To answer you're question, honestly I don't really like the LEGO dragon. It fits LEGO, but I would like to be able to alter in some ways.

See, the great thing about LEGO is that the possibilities are endless. That's what seperates LEGO from the rest of the toys. You can build what you want. You ever look in the middle of LEGO Magazine and see the cool creations page? That's what LEGO is all about. That's how I fell in love with LEGO as a kid. If it wasn't for that my LEGO would be cast away like the rest of my toys from my childhood. Now the way things are going with Megablocks and how LEGO seems to be following that path is straying from what we originally fell in love with. Remember making something completely as your own as a kid and showing it off to your parents or your friends and them going "oooh" and "ahhh"? I highly doubt showing an action figure that all it took you to do was open the package would get the same effect. Nor satisfaction. Or what about when you watched a cool movie for the first time like Star Wars, and the first thing you did afterwards was pull out the LEGO and start building your own version of Star Wars? I am sure all of us can remember times like that. Would it have been as special if we just had the Star Wars toys? Granted, it would have been fun. But I ebayed or thrown out most of those toys long ago, and yet I still have my LEGO. What would you rather have, 10 Megablock dragons or one of Sava's dragons? Yea, enough said.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
forester3291 wrote:Oh. So you don't like the LEGO dragon. It's all pre-molded except the wings.
Sorry for taking up what was not thrown towards me. But I do indeed not like the LEGO dragon too much. I like Anthony's Dragons much better because they are huge and impressive and built with bricks.
And besides who said anything about transformers in space mocs? Dragons are castle. transformers are not space. And Digimon is certainly not castle.
The point is that if you allow once some non-LEGO premolded crap to enter your LEGO-world you must allow other premolded non-LEGO crap to enter your LEGO-world as well. If you are fine with that: Fine with me! But for me the art of LEGO-building is not to incorporate non-LEGO stuff but to create everything imaginable just with LEGO elements. Only in this case you get an overall picture of a self-created world in your room that's entirely coherent in itself. This Mega Bloks dragon looks totally out of place in my as usual more than humble opinion.
Is LEGO perfect?
You make it perfect.

Bye
Jojo

forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

MaxiVisVires wrote:
Oh. So you don't like the LEGO dragon. It's all pre-molded except the wings. And besides who said anything about transformers in space mocs? Dragons are castle. transformers are not space. And Digimon is certainly not castle. And technically that megabloks dragon is pretty much in realictic scale. Dragons are supposed to be big and bad.

I was giving you example, I'm not saying that's what's happening or is going to happen.

To answer you're question, honestly I don't really like the LEGO dragon. It fits LEGO, but I would like to be able to alter in some ways.

See, the great thing about LEGO is that the possibilities are endless. That's what seperates LEGO from the rest of the toys. You can build what you want. You ever look in the middle of LEGO Magazine and see the cool creations page? That's what LEGO is all about. That's how I fell in love with LEGO as a kid. If it wasn't for that my LEGO would be cast away like the rest of my toys from my childhood. Now the way things are going with Megablocks and how LEGO seems to be following that path is straying from what we originally fell in love with. Remember making something completely as your own as a kid and showing it off to your parents or your friends and them going "oooh" and "ahhh"? I highly doubt showing an action figure that all it took you to do was open the package would get the same effect. Nor satisfaction. Or what about when you watched a cool movie for the first time like Star Wars, and the first thing you did afterwards was pull out the LEGO and start building your own version of Star Wars? I am sure all of us can remember times like that. Would it have been as special if we just had the Star Wars toys? Granted, it would have been fun. But I ebayed or thrown out most of those toys long ago, and yet I still have my LEGO. What would you rather have, 10 Megablock dragons or one of Sava's dragons? Yea, enough said.

Whoa. You have me in tears. I just had a flashback of when I got my first LEGO set. Rappid running river Indian Village. I was so happy. You have me crying again.

Quote:

Jojo

Squire

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:23 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

forester3291 wrote:
Oh. So you don't like the LEGO dragon. It's all pre-molded except the wings.

Sorry for taking up what was not thrown towards me. But I do indeed not like the LEGO dragon too much. I like Anthony's Dragons much better because they are huge and impressive and built with bricks.

Quote:
And besides who said anything about transformers in space mocs? Dragons are castle. transformers are not space. And Digimon is certainly not castle.

The point is that if you allow once some non-LEGO premolded crap to enter your LEGO-world you must allow other premolded non-LEGO crap to enter your LEGO-world as well. If you are fine with that: Fine with me! But for me the art of LEGO-building is not to incorporate non-LEGO stuff but to create everything imaginable just with LEGO elements. Only in this case you get an overall picture of a self-created world in your room that's entirely coherent in itself. This Mega Bloks dragon looks totally out of place in my as usual more than humble opinion.

Quote:
Is LEGO perfect?

You make it perfect.

Bye
Jojo

Okay okay. I'm sorry, I repent. I'm cleaning out the megbloks.
Space rocks.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

forester3291 wrote:
MaxiVisVires wrote:
That Dragon rocks! Come on. How could you not just a bit want to have that dragon. Which one of you could say that you wouldn't beyond any doubt want that dragion just a tiny bit?
Once you start throwing in big stuff like that I feel that you're no longer playing with building blocks but with action figures and so forth. And then we'll see Transformers thrown in for Space MOC's and Digimon for Castle. Where do you draw the line? Pre-molded stuff sucks. :?
Oh. So you don't like the LEGO dragon. It's all pre-molded except the wings. And besides who said anything about transformers in space mocs? Dragons are castle. transformers are not space. And Digimon is certainly not castle. And technically that megabloks dragon is pretty much in realictic scale. Dragons are supposed to be big and bad. I know I'm stepping on some toes here but don't say that everything about megabloks are bad. I s LEGO perfect?
I have nothing against Megabloks, and even have quite a few, but I can honestly say that I don't want that dragon. Not even a little bit. In fact, I once had it (I received the set as a gift) and I threw it away with the rest of the pieces I deemed useless or just didn't like. Yeah, the scale is great, and as an action figure it's awesome as well, but I don't like it for use with my LEGO. For the record, I don't like the official LEGO dragon much either, and actually, for those of you who want to be picky, the Megabloks dragon requires more assembly than the LEGO dragon (8 pieces, as opposed to LEGO's 7). What I do like is the Megabloks Vorgan monster thingy (not the figs themselves, but the big monster that they can ride). It's not the least bit LEGO-ish, but it's neat nonetheless.
As for the Digimon comment, I have never seen the cartoon or paid attention to the toys or whatever else, so I couldn't tell you what theme they would best fit into. Transformers, however, would certainly not be out of place in a space/distant future setting. Maybe using them as an example might be a little extreme, it's also certainly understandable.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Jojo wrote:I can say exactly that without the slightest suspicion of lying.
I have no idea what I would be supposed to build with this ugly heap of crap. It's just a clod of plastic without any tiny bit of legoish charm on it. If I got by any chance a part like this between my LEGO-using fingers I garantee you I would throw it in the trash bin, I wouldn't even consider selling it to you or anybody else because I could never forgive myself if I promoted such disgusting junk.
You the words outta my mouth!

I'm locking this thread because it is getting way off-topic.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].