What to do with those @#$%^ Megabox...

Discussion of general LEGO topics
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I used to always pick out the clone bricks and throw them away if it was a small amount. (like 4 small pieces)

However, if it is any large quantity, I will generally donate them to some sort of Goodwill / Salvation Army sort of place.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

What ever you do, don't intergrate them into your collection. Whatever you do, don't. Got it? Don't.

Now that that is out of the way, I say trade em with your younger brother for lego. He won't know the difference unless he is smart. wish my brothers were dum.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

wlister wrote: They don't notice the cheap plastic the way us old people do.

Ok I took a look a really long look at my new Meagabloks and compared them with my LEGO blocks- They are Identical. Same weight same plastic. Shoot, they could have came out of the same mold. Honest- don't beileive me go buy some new one for your self- JUST KIDDING :wink: But the blocks are exactly the Same. Boy if words could kill, I think i'm probly be a dead man in the morning. :)

A very propared to get His head chopped off,
Dave
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

It hapenned to me too, my godmother gave me thinking it was Lego.
Now she only give me money.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
JasonSpears
Laborer

Post by JasonSpears »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Personally, the world would be a better place if no megabloks and any other clone brand were obliterated. No LEGO is better than some Megabloks.

Burn 'em, trash 'em, give 'em to your dog to chew on...just make sure they're destroyed!

Purge the world of evil, burn the megabloks! :twisted:
I dislike Megablocks as much as the next guy (maybe more), but I still think it's better to donate them to Goodwill, a local school, or charity than destroy them. They aren't evil, they are competition. And competition is good. (Anybody paying for cable or local phone bills can attest to that.) Megablocks gives LEGO a reason to do better, to design better sets and to keep quality up. While they might do most of that anyways, knowing the other guys is ready to pounce on any disgruntled customers keeps a business on their toes.
Jason Spears | [url=http://www.michlug.org]MichLUG[/url] | [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/spearjr/]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

JasonSpears wrote:I dislike Megablocks as much as the next guy (maybe more), but I still think it's better to donate them to Goodwill, a local school, or charity than destroy them. They aren't evil, they are competition. And competition is good. (Anybody paying for cable or local phone bills can attest to that.) Megablocks gives LEGO a reason to do better, to design better sets and to keep quality up. While they might do most of that anyways, knowing the other guys is ready to pounce on any disgruntled customers keeps a business on their toes.
You have a point. But, luckily, I only got a few clone bricks in a garage sale find, and you can't really donate just a few pieces, so I just threw them out.
The Tennis Ball Kid wrote:True, therefore I rephrase: Sell 'em on Evil-bay to someone who wants such things, and give the $$$
Now THAT is a good idea, probally the best in this thread!
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

I have a hundred or a hundred and fifty or so mixed in with my collection, from when I bought some used Lego. Now I just take very special care that no clone brick finds its way into a model I'm building, no matter how much I may need that piece. I should throw them away, but I can't bear to throw away anything that even has a slight resemblance to Lego... :? Reminds of the stories I've heard of people throwing away REAL Lego... :cry:

Cm2
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
porschecm2 wrote:Reminds of the stories I've heard of people throwing away REAL Lego...
Indeed. Once I asked a friend if she had any LEGO from her childhood that she wouldn't need anymore. Her answer almost broke my heart: She would never give away her LEGO. If she had any left. Unfortunatelly her mother had thrown it away long ago.
Ouch!

Eventually I myself throw away LEGO, too. -- Damaged parts only, of course.

Bye
Jojo

Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

You throw away lego?!! I even keep damaged pieces... I can't bear to throw them away...Send 'em to me!
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

porschecm2 wrote: Reminds of the stories I've heard of people throwing away REAL Lego... :cry:
Cm2
we should probably have a new thread - horror stories... the kind you sit around a campfire at BF and tell each other.

My wifes cousins were really into lego. I mean they had a ton of it. They had received a bunch from an uncle, and kept adding to it. So there were lego there that should have been in a museum somewhere... ALL of it taken very well care of.
well, the mom decided that her kids had too many toys, and that they were getting to materialistic. (you can see where this is heading can't you?)
she went into their room and began filling up garbage bags full of lego. The two brothers were crying "at least let us pick out the good pieces" and "I just built that!"
three big black plastic bags went into the trash.

I talked to the mom later, and she said "I have NO idea what I was thinking.... it seemed like a good idea at the time." and while she has totally apologized for it, the brothers still hold a small grudge about it. its one of those things that you can still tick them off about at family gatherings.. ("remember when your mom..."

I still cringe when I hear that story, and I certainly thank whoever's in charge that my own mother was very very supportive of my lego habit. To this day birthdays and christmas are always lego times for me.

Thanks mom. :D
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Umm....One thing http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=238963

That Dragon rocks! Come on. How could you not just a bit want to have that dragon. Which one of you could say that you wouldn't beyond any doubt want that dragion just a tiny bit?

Edit: And look what this guy had done http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=24492

I admire this guy. He has expanded his world beyond LEGO. I'm not saying that megbloks are as good as LEGO. But sometimes you gotta open your eyes and see. And personally, I wouldn't mix megabloks and LEGO in one MOC but hey what do I know?
Space rocks.
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

Uhhh.... freak? Where do your wife's cousins live? I"M GOING TO ROOT THROUGH THAT LANDFILL FOR TWO YEARS IF I NEED TO!!! **Sniffle...** Such a sad, sad story... :cry:
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
MaxiVisVires
Squire
Location: San Diego, CA If I was any closer to LEGOLand, I'd be living there

Post by MaxiVisVires »

That Dragon rocks! Come on. How could you not just a bit want to have that dragon. Which one of you could say that you wouldn't beyond any doubt want that dragion just a tiny bit?
Once you start throwing in big stuff like that I feel that you're no longer playing with building blocks but with action figures and so forth. And then we'll see Transformers thrown in for Space MOC's and Digimon for Castle. Where do you draw the line? Pre-molded stuff sucks. :?
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well everyone is different. I would never ever want that dragon. ugg.

Legofreak, that is one scary story. :cry:

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

forester3291 wrote:That Dragon rocks! Come on. How could you not just a bit want to have that dragon. Which one of you could say that you wouldn't beyond any doubt want that dragion just a tiny bit?
I can say exactly that without the slightest suspicion of lying.
I have no idea what I would be supposed to build with this ugly heap of crap. It's just a clod of plastic without any tiny bit of legoish charm on it. If I got by any chance a part like this between my LEGO-using fingers I garantee you I would throw it in the trash bin, I wouldn't even consider selling it to you or anybody else because I could never forgive myself if I promoted such disgusting junk.

Bye
Jojo