Football/soccer sets

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Jojo,

Was that set available outside of France? I remember seeing a world cup set here based on the US team. Did they market different versions of this set in different countries based on their national teams? If so, were these the same aside from torsos, or were there other differences (flag pieces, e.g. or different heads?)?

Bruce
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Bruce N H wrote:Was that set available outside of France? I remember seeing a world cup set here based on the US team. Did they market different versions of this set in different countries based on their national teams? If so, were these the same aside from torsos, or were there other differences (flag pieces, e.g. or different heads?)?
Actually I don't know... I _guess_ the French version was initially sold only in France. At least I did not notice it in Germany in 2002. I, however, bought a copy of this set in Billund on bargain sale (2003), and this spring some German AFOLs told about this set that they had bought in the LEGO Brand Store in Hamburg.

Did you see an US-version of 3420 ( http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3420 )? There was an US Women's Soccer Team set in the US, ( http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3416 ), that was initially not available in Europe. Later they also sold the remainings via German/European Shop-at-Home, too.

The very first series of Soccer sets from 1998 had a basic set with two pitch plates (green 48×48), a set of refferies and goals along with some players and a sticker sheet for German soccer players. There were similiar sets with respective stickers in other countries, I know about Dutch players and stickers.

Bye
Jojo

Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hmm, I think I was thinking of this set:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3425
From Bricklink, it looks like it came with stickers from various countries (perhaps to be the U.S.'s opponents?

I got a couple of the women's team sets (aka female fig parts pack). Those came with blank blue torsos with stickers to make them from various countries, including the US. I know that the "Team Bus" sets also came with blank torsos and stickers to make your national team of choice.

My impression was that that earlier run of football sets was a promo to go with that year's World Cup, right? At the more recent World Cup they also had a promo deal with Coca Cola to release a bunch of small polybag sets.

Bruce

P.S. moved this over to general LEGO
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
I got a couple of the women's team sets (aka female fig parts pack). Those came with blank blue torsos with stickers to make them from various countries, including the US.
Exactly! That's where you got female minifigs. My copy came with American (US), Canadian, Mexican and Brasilian stickers.

My impression was that that earlier run of football sets was a promo to go with that year's World Cup, right? At the more recent World Cup they also had a promo deal with Coca Cola to release a bunch of small polybag sets.
That's right. The first run in 1998 were Shell-Promos.
I guess they first planned those sets as a world-cup-special only, until they realised that a general Sports line would be a great idea. For special occasions (like the World Cup) they release additional sets as promotionals.

Bye
Jojo