Brickshelf Questions

Discussion of general LEGO topics
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Brickshelf Questions

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Just out of curiosity...Is brickshelf no longer adding scans of lego instructions?
and does anyone know of a good .pdf viewer so I can tell which one of those .pdf files are which set without having to look everyone up in the lugnet set database, since I don't have them all memorized like SOME people do. :D
(yeah - I'm looking at you three Yaron, Jojo, and Ben E.)

Freak
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

Freak - I assumed they just didn't have any more to add currently. They are only allowed to post them up to a certain date, so as to not post instructions for currently released sets.

The .pdf files were supplied to Kevin by LEGO itself - I personally don't like the .pdf ones as much. They're offical though, where the image ones are scanned.

I believe more will be added when they get the okay from LEGO on them.
Jojo
Master

Re: Brickshelf Questions

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

LEGOFREAK wrote:(yeah - I'm looking at you three Yaron, Jojo, and Ben E.)
I read my name.

And I second J1A3L5's comment, as for not liking the PDF-files primarily.
Rumours were that BrickShelf is not allowed to add instructions to their database for sets that are younger than three (?) years. I remember in 2000 they were in the process of adding the Batlord instructions (from 1997).

Bye
Jojo

Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

J1A3L5 wrote:Freak - I assumed they just didn't have any more to add currently. They are only allowed to post them up to a certain date, so as to not post instructions for currently released sets.
I think, but don't quote me, that BrickShelf has an agreement with TLC that they will only upload instructions that are three years old or older, because by that time that particular set is not likely to be available in retail.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

right - i knew about that - the three year thing, so if i look for something about three years old or a little older I should be able to find it right?

Edit -

Ok I just checked and that seems to be the case. I checked about a bunch a different sets from 2001 and found them.

The reason I was asking was from going to the most recent uploads it never seems to change. So I guess they just do it in yearly batches?
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

LEGOFREAK wrote:The reason I was asking was from going to the most recent uploads it never seems to change. So I guess they just do it in yearly batches?
I doubt that: Members who wish to contribute would send in scans, so they wouldn't all be at the same time. (Although done in batches undoubtly, but not yearly). Then LEGO gave them a bunch of the pdf's, which meant not many user scans were needed. Therefore there's no need for more right now: There's probably just no sets to add.

I'm sure next year, assuming they're allowed to add 2002 sets, there will be new ones on the recent page.