Legosis Eatemupis

Discussion of general LEGO topics
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Legosis Eatemupis

Post by SavaTheAggie »

At the LEGO Roadshow in Dallas (and most likely at all the other Roadshow locations), there were displays of creations by LEGO employees. In particular, there was this one really awesome carnivorous plant, which I and a few other TexLUGgers took pictures of. Here is the one picture I took of it:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=441741

Using the pictures I found online, I rebuilt the plant as best I could.

But I also limited myself to the parts found within the three 4101 Wild Creature Designer Sets I happen to own. After all, this was a roadshow MOC, and the roadshow was really meant to tout the value of the designer sets (at least IMO).

Picture = Post Mod Gallery Link

Design notes:

I have no idea how accurate my design is to the original, since I didn't have instructions nor blown up views of the 'pot' or the back of the plant's head. The difference I know of are the lack of some light green decorations on the back of the head, the click hinges on the top and bottom jaws attach differently than the original, and the soil in the pot is sculptured differently. I also added some teeth to the top jaw simply because I wanted to.

While I limited myself to three 4101s, I believe it could actually be built with parts from only two 4101s.

There are four parts in the original design that are not found in 4101, but three are found in the little robots designer set (4097). These parts are the 2x2 modified green slope on the "nose," the 3x2 green plate with hole under it, and the 1x1 round yellow brick. I'm not sure which designer set has the 1x1 round yellow cone (if any).

All in all I am very happy with how closely I was able to recreate the MOC, though creating the pot was quite a challenge with the part restrictions. I'm also impressed with how sturdy it is compared to what one would think it would be.

I shall call her... "Audry II"

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Very nice. It just shows that these designers have very good ideas. But they don't use their heads sometimes. I mean, they come up with KK2 and than build this awesome carnivore plant. What's going on?

As for your MOC Anthony it is a great duplicate of the LEGO designer one. I really like the pot. The plant almost look... cute :D .

PS. How much are those wild creature designer sets? They look cool and I am thinking of getting a few.
Space rocks.
spotfrog
Freeman

Post by spotfrog »

I was particularly impressed by that plant at the roadshow, and I think you made a great rendition. :)
°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

very nice anthony. You did a pretty good job of recapturing the original...

feed me seymour?

awesome!
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Feed me, I'm hungry. Gimme some chow!
-Audrey

I suppose this is from the remake since it is colorized. :D

Very nice - I recognized who (or what) it was supposed to be immediately.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Reminds me of Elizabite (created by the creators of Curious George).....

If that means anything to any of you.

Hmmm.... could this fit into Ikros anywhere? Garadaine and companions have to cross the man-eating forest? :D