The Next Jake McKee Chat

Discussion of general LEGO topics
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

My question will probably be:

"The recent article on KK2 in the Lego Magazine seemed to indicate that a single Lego designer completely designs an individual set. Is this true, or do multiple designers pool their talent to create a new set?"

Cm2
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

If I cannot be there (and I'm gonna try), will someone please ask these 3 questions or some variant.

What did TLG learn from the uproar over the color change? Would you do it differently if you could do it over again? (OK a follow-up, whaddya what from me?)

Toys R Us and many other toy retailer here in the US are struggling. Does TLG see this, and how might retailing toys such as LEGOs change in the future. (Not a product line question).

What bearing, if any, do communities such as CCC have on TLG decisions?

How will we know the answers? Will there be a transcript for those that cannot attend?
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Transcript will be provided. the CC Chat automatically stores all content in it for about three days, so even if the chat goes down (like last time) - the content will be saved. Ben Ellermann has done a great job in the past of editting the transcript to be more readable after the fact.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

I missed the other one, but does anyone know where I can find the transcript from it? I will try to be there, however my LUG is having a meeting at my house, and not sure if I will be able to get there in time. My questions would be:

How much would it cost to open a Pick-a-Brick store?

Has LEGO ever thought of opening a LEGO store in West Edmonton Mall, the largest mall in the world?

If The Hobbit came out as a movie, would LEGO make a line following it, since the book was intended for kids?

If I don't make it, could someone ask these?
Thanks.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Sir Terrance wrote:I missed the other one, but does anyone know where I can find the transcript from it?
It's in the archives, I think in the January or February page.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Sir Terrance wrote: How much would it cost to open a Pick-a-Brick store?
Are you planning on opening a store? Can you give more details on what exactly you're trying to figure out?

Or do you want a PAB near you?
If The Hobbit came out as a movie, would LEGO make a line following it, since the book was intended for kids?
This is unanswerable due to Future Products - Jake can't discuss. Nope, none, zilch.

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

Can anyone ask why Johnny Thunder was given a new head in Orient Expo? I'll always miss the Johnny Thunder that looked like he needed a hug... :cry:
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

Please ask for me:
"Could TLC make a Pick-a-brick in O'Porto?"
And:
"How much costs a Lego pound on Legoland?"
I really want one.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

I have a Boy Scouts campout, so i won't be there...

Could someone ask Jake:

"What made TLC decide to create new helmets, shields, wall pieces, and swords for the new KK2 line instead of re-using the older moulds?"
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Here be my Q.

I was wondering why LEGO has made the new LEGO pirates in a larger size? Because as people collect more and more LEGO they get more minifigs and can do new things with them. i.e The Kingdom of Ikros.
So wouldnt people have more duplo men and only a couple minifigs later on in life?
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Glencaer wrote:
Sir Terrance wrote: How much would it cost to open a Pick-a-Brick store?
Are you planning on opening a store? Can you give more details on what exactly you're trying to figure out?

-Lenny
Well I'm only 13 (14 in January), but some people in my LUG (who are much older than me) we curious about it. I was as well. I was tossing around the idea of everyone in LUG to pitch in some money and open a store owned by us. Mainly curiousity really. But I would LOVE to have one here in Edmonton.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I won't be able to make the chat as I will be working, but I do have a question if someone wants to ask it.

What happened to the Blue 32 x 32 baseplate from S@H and will it return?

That's it, not a future product line or a complaint, just a question about availability, we know they have the mold, we know they are still making them. Doc Ock's hideout has one and there is a baseplate pack available to educational stores that includes the blue 32 x 32.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I probably won't be on to ask a question, but this is something I'm curious about so maybe somebody could bring it up if they don't have a question of their own. The following is an excerpt from the first chat with Jake:
[JPinoy] did Lego's policy against making military sets change? (considering that the Red Baron and Sopwith Camel are World War 1 military planes)
[sink] not changed, really... we just don't do any modern military or true "war" sets complete with realistic blood
[JPinoy] so WW2 would be "ok"?
[sink] WW2 is still "modern" in the sense that there were people alive who fought it. That's the way I've personally thought about what "modern" means
[JPinoy] thanks
If LEGO doesn't do any 'modern military or true "war" sets,' why do the alternate models for 4403 Air Blazers include what seem to be (if I know my planes correctly) an F-117 Nighthawk and an F-18 Hornet, both being warplanes that are still in use today?
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

doctorsparkles wrote: If LEGO doesn't do any 'modern military or true "war" sets,' why do the alternate models for 4403 Air Blazers include what seem to be (if I know my planes correctly) an F-117 Nighthawk and an F-18 Hornet, both being warplanes that are still in use today?
excellent question. I'd like to hear the answer to that!

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~