Why don't they do it?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Why don't they do it?

Post by Troy T. Moore »

My apologies if this has been covered before.

What would be the harm in TLG re-releasing sets from the 80' and 90's? Just start at the beginning and release the sets in the same order and number per year, on a year by year basis until that have covered 1980-1995? No set designers to pay, existing elements,todays children would think they were awesome. I am talking about successful lines like space, pirates and...., oh, yeah, CASTLE!

Classic grey or not, this would have my support.
Troy T. Moore
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

First of all, the elements do not all exist. The molds that they were made from are not necessarily in existence. I believe that the pitchfork is a good example of this.

Secondly, TLC believes that they, or most of them, wouldn't sell. While everyone here would like most of the sets, they are probably right in that rereleasing all the sets would not be profitable. Which isn't to say that rereleasing select sets, a few at a time, wouldn't be profitable. I think it would be.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but I can't think of any....
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Formendacil wrote:First of all, the elements do not all exist. The molds that they were made from are not necessarily in existence. I believe that the pitchfork is a good example of this.
I am pretty sure TLC has stated that they believe the pitchfork mold still exists, but they do not have any reason to dig it out. In fact, I distinctly remember Brad Justus saying that it would not be worth the trouble to dig out the pitchfork mold and do a run of them for the few AFOLs who would want to buy bags of nothing but pitchforks.

Anyway, yeah, I would imagine that some of the molds no longer exist, but I think the number is small. Take a look at King's Castle, for example. What parts in there have not been seen in the past few years? I'm sure it would require fewer new molds to recreate all of the 1984-1992 castle sets than it took just for the 2004 Knight's Kingdom line.

Why would they not re-release all of the sets though? Maybe they don't believe they would do well? Not flashy enough for their marketing guys? Maybe. My guess is because it would reduce their ability to release new sets. I think TLC believes (and rightly so) that they must keep innovating and doing new things. It's just a shame that they don't always innovate very well.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

You think they would know since the BFF went in a flash. I barely got mine, and was hoping to get another when they were gone. Even if TLC were to make the Legends available again, and keep making them that would be good. They give the Black Falcons, Crusaders, tudor wall pieces, castle wall pieces, and just about everything you really need. Even in new grey, it would be really good. (I would actually prefer it in new grey). I know releasing every set would be great, but even having those two sets out again, and not discontinuing them would be great.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin