Megabloks signs deal with Marvel

Discussion of general LEGO topics
wlister
Sheriff

Megabloks signs deal with Marvel

Post by wlister »

Hi All,

I just read some bad news. Marvel has signed a large license deal with Megabloks. Aside from now never having any Lego Marvel heroes for Spidey to hang around with, Megabloks will certainly be increasing their sales audiences. Marvel currently has over a dozen films in planning stages or in pre-production. Hulk 2, Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four, Captain America and X3 are on the way and many more will also be coming down the pike. TLC's decision to forgo License deals could have shot themselves in the foot with this one. They already had the Spidey movies, this license would have been a no-brainer.

Read the Story:
http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/5701.shtml

A more complete list of Marvel Movies:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/arch ... p/t-302574

Seriously disappointed that TLC didn't strike the deal,

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Jojo
Master

Re: Megabloks signs deal with Marvel

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

To be honest I'd be glad if LEGO wouldn't sign any license contract at all in future. All that it brings us is sickcoloured minifigs and poor playscene-like sets. Sorry. And yes, I have to admit Harry Potter came with great parts. But those great parts could have been in an originally LEGO-designed line as well.

Bye
Jojo

This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well.... it really hurts to know that Megabloks is going to be doing this instead of Lego. :cry:

On the other hand....

This may be good for Lego. It may provide the impetus necessary to develop a QUALITY (please note, the emphasis here is on QUALITY!) a line of their own design. I'm holding out for a Castle-theme. And by Castle, I mean medieval, not fantasy/space.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

My Major concern with this deal is that Megabloks will become even more evident on store shelves, despite very poor comic sales, Marvel licenses have been very successful over the last 10 years. Megabloks is already more financially successful than TLC has been in years.

TLC needs some success and a good license deal could have done it. The Marvel Universe is a wealth of character and creativity and that is something TLC has been sorely lacking.

Megabloks currently commands a very large portion in the "construction" toy aisles and now that retail space will only be getting bigger. The more successful Megabloks becomes, the less shelf space will be left for Lego, not good for our hobby.

I am not a big fan of licenses, but I'd rather see TLC in a deal with Marvel than Megabloks.

TLC has already proven that they can't compete with Megabloks pricing, this years sets also proved TLC can't/won't compete with Megabloks for playablitity, design and Marketing and now TLC won't be able to compete with Megabloks lincenses.

Megabloks currently has Star Trek, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers and now Marvel. Couple that with the continued success of the Dragons line, Megabloks is becoming a dangerous competitor.

They may use too many pre-molded pieces and the plastic is not as good, but whether we like it or not, they could become the top building toy manufacturer. A license like Marvel proves it.

Sorry for the rant, but a license like this not only robs us of Lego Marvel Characters, it could also be another of the straws on TLC's back.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

wlister wrote:My Major concern with this deal is that Megabloks will become even more evident on store shelves, despite very poor comic sales, Marvel licenses have been very successful over the last 10 years. Megabloks is already more financially successful than TLC has been in years.

TLC needs some success and a good license deal could have done it. The Marvel Universe is a wealth of character and creativity and that is something TLC has been sorely lacking.

Megabloks currently commands a very large portion in the "construction" toy aisles and now that retail space will only be getting bigger. The more successful Megabloks becomes, the less shelf space will be left for Lego, not good for our hobby.

I am not a big fan of licenses, but I'd rather see TLC in a deal with Marvel than Megabloks.

TLC has already proven that they can't compete with Megabloks pricing, this years sets also proved TLC can't/won't compete with Megabloks for playablitity, design and Marketing and now TLC won't be able to compete with Megabloks lincenses.

Megabloks currently has Star Trek, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers and now Marvel. Couple that with the continued success of the Dragons line, Megabloks is becoming a dangerous competitor.

They may use too many pre-molded pieces and the plastic is not as good, but whether we like it or not, they could become the top building toy manufacturer. A license like Marvel proves it.

Sorry for the rant, but a license like this not only robs us of Lego Marvel Characters, it could also be another of the straws on TLC's back.

Will
ouch! Some good points there Will.
#1- MB will not make them in minifigs as TLC would have.
#2- As for having a majority on the asiles- I know I come from a town of 6,000 so My wallyworld is the only place to purchase Lego- but My Wallmart got rid of their Lego and MB altogeter :shock: It really ticks me off- by the way in the same place now stands a whole row of Spider-man action figs :cry:
#3-And the thing that really gits Me is that TLC could knock the socks off Mb in playablity if they really tried :evil: ....................... I think I'm gonna go cry.. :cry:

Dave
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I'm all for stiffer competition for LEGO. Maybe it will inspire them to get their act together.
And I don't mind that Megabloks has the Marvel license. I already have my Spider-Man, and we can make just about any Marvel character with existing pieces and/or stickers.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Jojo said exactly what I was thinking.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
medib
Bailiff

Post by medib »

I have to agree with many points. I'm glad Lego didn't pick up another
license. This limits the original products from them.

Yes, it proves the brand power MB (spelling it out is too vulgar for my taste!)
:) However, maybe we'll see some negative growing pains at MB as
it tries to increase its market share.

Benjamin Medinets
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

Megabloks Marvel super heroes doesn't have anything to Marvel minimates...one of the few things I regard as highly as I do LEGO...
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

I am a huge ninja turtle fan, and when I saw MB made a line of them, for a few moments I was really really tempted. Then I came to my senses and bought a harry parter set :D
There are several good points, and I am interested in seeing what develops.
(say this next part in your best radio soap opera voice)

Will the Lego company get it's act together and produce better lines?
Will megablocks outsell Lego, thus causing the fall of our hero?
Will Lego start selling the parts we actually want either at SAH or PAB or in nice little packs at the local retail store?
Will Janet and Brad escape from the evil clutches of Dr Frankenfurter??

these questions and more will be answered in the future!

:D
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Another pionnt in our (Lego's) favour, is that MB has no good figs. And figs are the most important part about superheros. So MB might have to make a better fig, or they will just make the heros half a foot big.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.