Discussion Of Henry

Discussion of general LEGO topics
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Actually I can be taken off the list, as I was put on there in case I wanted to be. Which is fine. I just eventually want him back. say in a couple of years... any idea on how to get him into space? :D
medib
Bailiff

Post by medib »

I thought Henry was going to go back to Patrick (Legofreak) because of
being "homesick" and needed a break to "get better"...

:?

Ben
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

medib wrote:It doesn't matter. Both of them agreed to switch. Enough said.
If his parents won't allow it.... it's their decision.
It does matter. If Classic Castle is meant to be an international site it does matter to me if members are also willing to act "international". And I'm highly interested in the reason behind his parents' decision.

Bye
Jojo

I agree with Jojo, and I am also interested.

There was a similar problem in the Secret Santa gift exchange on BrickLink. One guy was dropped without hesitation after he drew a non-US member and started whining.

I don't understand why some people make a fuss about international shipping. Henry + Padded envelope is only going to weigh 1 or 2 ounces, so it can be shipped anywhere for a few dollars.

I have to wonder if there might be some political motive or personal bias involved.

However, there was nothing in place that said that if you weren't prepared to "ship overseas" then don't put your name on the list.
I honestly don't see any reason why this should need to be specified when it is understood that you are supposed to ship Henry to the next person on the list.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Greetings,

First off, I'm really starting to get annoyed. Could you people please stop badgering me?

There was not just a fuss when WilLister dropped his spot because he didn't want to pay the cost of international shipping.

And if you read my post, international shipping was one of several reasons I wanted to switch. Even if I did have to send it internationally (Now I'm sending it back to Will, so I'm stuck shipping internationally) that was not my only reason for going back. I also have not 1 moc or set built so the pictures would kind of be boring too.

And the reason why I can’t mail him overseas…

I'm 16 and my part time job doesn't pay too much and my parents aren't too supportive of my hobby to say the least. I do the best I can to get by. And to tell you the truth my parents don’t even know about Henry or his travels. Wait 2 years, then I’ll mail Henry to Mars if I have to. But, I shouldn't have to explain myself, do you ever harass BL sellers who don't mail outside of their country?
rogue27 wrote:I have to wonder if there might be some political motive or personal bias involved.
That is totally insane and also it is in violation of the TOS policy.

I'm not going to talk any more about this, PM me if you have further questions. And if it is really so much of a problem then take me off the list.

DM
Last edited by Dragon Master on Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Dragon Master wrote:First off, I'm really starting to get annoyed. Could you people please stop badgering me?
Yes, let this stop. If Mike and DM have no problem with switching, then there is no reason to complain. If DM's parents don't support shipping overseas, that is not everyone else's problem. C'mon, people, this is suppose to be fun!
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Aidan
Foot Soldier

Post by Aidan »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote: Yes, let this stop. If Mike and DM have no problem with switching, then there is no reason to complain. If DM's parents don't support shipping overseas, that is not everyone else's problem. C'mon, people, this is suppose to be fun!
For my part I apologize if my questions were taken as accusations. That is not how they were intended. :oops: I was more inquisitive.

Without explanation, I think some of the international members might have taken it as a slight. I think their questions were more concernd with the big picture then your specific circumstances since the issue has come up before.

I stated that cost would be a reasonable explanation. Since that is your explanation my curiosity is extinguished. :D
Let them come...
They will break upon this fortress like water on rock!
---King Theoden

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=the6717
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:
Dragon Master wrote:First off, I'm really starting to get annoyed. Could you people please stop badgering me?
Yes, let this stop. If Mike and DM have no problem with switching, then there is no reason to complain. If DM's parents don't support shipping overseas, that is not everyone else's problem. C'mon, people, this is suppose to be fun!

I agree. I'm not on the list but I know MY parents probably wouldn't let me ship overseas, maybe not at all. And they are definintly not bias. My Grandfather was somewhat German,JoJo, therefore I'm part German too. But my parents probably wouldn't let me ship to you or anybody else overseas because of the cost. As DM said he doesn't make a lot of money and he may not be able to afford international shipping.

So could we please stop? Thanks. I don't liek coming onto this thread and seeing people badger DM because he isn't alowed to ship internationally.
Space rocks.
Master Blobicus
Apprentice

Post by Master Blobicus »

I'm 45th I think
could you tell me before you go back in time, I was talking to a robe on the coat rack for 20 minuets before I releized you left!
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

forester3291 wrote:because of the cost. As DM said he doesn't make a lot of money and he may not be able to afford international shipping.

The point is that the cost isn't really prohibitive. I've shipped to Europe a few times, and I've paid for shipping from Europe a bunch of times. Priority Shipping here in the states vs. Airmail from Europe is roughly the same.

Let put it this way:

Cost of shipping a minifig from US to US is $.50

Cost of shipping a minifig from US to Germany is $1.50

http://ircalc.usps.gov/speed.asp?Countr ... Contents=1

This assumes Henry weighs two ounces. Henry definates does NOT weigh two ounces. (one ounce costs a meer $.80 )

So, what you're trying to tell me is that whereas fifty cents is affordable, a dollar and fifty cents is so vastly expensive that it becomes a hardship?

I guess I just don't understand why money is an issue at all.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Glencaer wrote:
forester3291 wrote:because of the cost. As DM said he doesn't make a lot of money and he may not be able to afford international shipping.

The point is that the cost isn't really prohibitive. I've shipped to Europe a few times, and I've paid for shipping from Europe a bunch of times. Priority Shipping here in the states vs. Airmail from Europe is roughly the same.

Let put it this way:

Cost of shipping a minifig from US to US is $.50

Cost of shipping a minifig from US to Germany is $1.50

http://ircalc.usps.gov/speed.asp?Countr ... Contents=1

This assumes Henry weighs two ounces. Henry definates does NOT weigh two ounces. (one ounce costs a meer $.80 )

So, what you're trying to tell me is that whereas fifty cents is affordable, a dollar and fifty cents is so vastly expensive that it becomes a hardship?

I guess I just don't understand why money is an issue at all.

-Lenny

The thing is, if DM had his choice he wouldn't mind paying the extra dollar. HIs parents probably just think it is a frivolous waste of money. Therefore his parents don't watn him to send Henry overseas. My parents may not either.

I jsut didn't like Rogue saying that DM or his parents were bias. Or saying that MAYBE the were bias. It's not that at all.

Anyways... I guess we can let Rogue and JoJo put in their two-sense and then stop this discussion. :D
Space rocks.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

I wanted to make sure everyone knew the amounts of money involved.

The difference is between $.50 for within the USA and $.80 for sending to Europe.

The cost increase is simply so little that it shouldn't make any difference one way or the other. And since cost isn't really a factor, it makes someone think that there might be another factor at play.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Glencaer wrote:The cost increase is simply so little that it shouldn't make any difference one way or the other. And since cost isn't really a factor, it makes someone think that there might be another factor at play.
Exactly.

Anyway, I did not see my last post as rude, badgering, or inappropriate. I saw it as curious and explanatory, but hey, eye of the beholder and all that.

I didn't like Rogue saying that DM or his parents were biased. Or saying that MAYBE they were biased.
I suppose I should have worded it more vaguely like Glencaer did instead of citing the first two possible examples that popped into my head, but that did not occur to me. That's why I am not a diplomat.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Hello,

What exactly is this "other factor at play" Do you seriously think that I can't send Henry to other countries because of a prejudice or a bias. Your wrong. That’s not the case at all.

I've already stated several reasons why I couldn't send Henry or yet receive him at this time. Cost was only one them. And even that small price can be a lot for me, I'm trying to save up for college. Next time around I'll have saved enough money to mail Henry to his next destination, which FYI is Canada. Canada-Us=INTERNATIONAL!

When my turn comes up in a year or so, I'll be able to go to the post office and mail him to wherever in the world, which will be to Wilister. So once and for all...

DM WILL BE SHIPPING INTERNATIONAL!

Besides the shipping,

I also don't have a camera or any Lego creations, so why would I need Henry anyway right now?

I'm doing the best I can, and I'm sorry if my wording made me seem like a bigot.

But please Lenny, Jojo, and Rogue let this be the last time I have to discuss this. Please.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Dragon Master wrote:But please Lenny, Jojo, and Rogue let this be the last time I have to discuss this. Please.
And let me add: if this pointless discussion continues, I'll lock this thread and start another 'Discussion of Henry' thread.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:And let me add: if this pointless discussion continues, I'll lock this thread and start another 'Discussion of Henry' thread.
I was confused anyway. Searching for the usual "Hey dude" thread I only found this thread...
(And it's necessary to be an admin to be able to decide whether a discussion is pointless or not?)

@ Dragon Master:

Sorry, I didn't mean to badger you. I was just curious. The reason you named even increased my curiosity. And because I (me, myself) didn't find the reasons sufficient (I'm going with Lenny in terms of shipping costs) I indeed wondered if Rogue's assumption would have any spark of truth in it, I have to admit it.

And I still stand by what I said before:
myself wrote:It's not THAT expensive to send a padded envelope accross the ocean. And isn't exactly that the excitement: Sending Henry to a place far far away, possibly to a different continent?
And that's the last thing I will be saying about this topic.

Bye
Jojo

This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill