Legos produceds in US

Discussion of general LEGO topics
mediamaster
Peasant

Legos produceds in US

Post by mediamaster »

I know Legos arent produced in the USA but if they opened a factory here would they lose money? Because wouldnt that lower shipping prices to one of there largest consumers. Well this is just a thoguht. So yea..... 8)
Courage is going in knowing your licked, but seeing it through to the end.
Umgarla
Laborer

Post by Umgarla »

You should also take into account that the Lego Company has close bonds to the city of Billund. I mean without lego Billund would be a little town with 200 inhabitants. They can't/won't just move their production abroad. They want to keep it in Denmark an at the place where they started and belonged... makes sense? :wink:
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=115690]"Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yer?"[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

At one time many LEGO bricks were made in Enfield, CT for North American LEGO products. The NA sets are still packaged here from bricks sent from Billund and elsewhere. Would it have been a better decision to leave the Enfield molding factory open? This is debated by afols. Some agree and others do not. I would like it because it would cut down on time of sets to us, not shipping costs. However many specialty pieces are made from molds in Billund and would still have to be shipped to the US.

As a side note, it is possible that LEGO pieces may be molded in countries such as China in the future to cut down on costs. The new LEGO CEO has stated as much in press releases on www.lego.com Even if this production location changed, LEGO would still have headquarters in Billund for the reasons Umgarla stated.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
Master Blobicus
Apprentice

Post by Master Blobicus »

Thank you architect, you see I used to live in CT (norwalk) and I lived near a LEGO factory. So LEGOs have been made in the US before you KONIGIT! :P
could you tell me before you go back in time, I was talking to a robe on the coat rack for 20 minuets before I releized you left!
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

some one linked me to a picture from a magazine saying that LEGO will be moving all of it's factorys to china.

LR
mediamaster
Peasant

Post by mediamaster »

That will reduce cost. But everything is made in China, India, Malaysia, etc.... So it will help cost.

I guess......

:cry: But I find it sad because if they want to mass produce something for cheap they higher little kids for 10 cents aday and make a killing out of it
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

some one linked me to a picture from a magazine saying that LEGO will be moving all of it's factorys to china.
It said that they are considering doing this, not that they are.
But I find it sad because if they want to mass produce something for cheap they higher little kids for 10 cents aday and make a killing out of it
I highly doubt that LEGO will produce much lower quality product or mistreat their workers. That would be against the core policies/goals of the Christiansen family and LEGO.

Ben E.
mediamaster
Peasant

Post by mediamaster »

True... but could we keep this religion free by anychance? Cause there are soemthings that shouldn't be mentioned in certain places.
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

The family that started it all was the Christiansen family.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
mediamaster
Peasant

Post by mediamaster »

Well still if people know that then they know that. But it shouldnt be discussed because for some people it is a really touchy subject. Like me...
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

mediamaster wrote:Well still if people know that then they know that. But it shouldnt be discussed because for some people it is a really touchy subject. Like me...
Okay....

I'm confused...

You're saying that you find mention of the name "Christiansen" to be somewhat offensive?

It's just their last name!!!!

Basically, it's Danish for Christian's Son, Christian being a VERY common Danish name (look at the Roman numerals behind some of their kings' names). True, the meaning of it IS Christian (ie. follower of Christ), but it doesn't necessarily mean that anyone bearing that name, or more to the point that last name, is a Christian themselves.

It's practically discrimination to base your point of view on a family based on their last name. It would be like hating a family called the Gardners, simply because you don't like eating your vegetables!

Or are you insinuating that referring to the Christiansen family's goals/morals and their bearing on LEGO production would constitute a religious discussion?

Take a closer look around the forums. We've come a LOT closer to a religious discussion than that, and still managed to remain civil and talk mainly about LEGO.

My apologies to the admins and the users for going a little offtopic, but this really perplexes me...
mediamaster
Peasant

Post by mediamaster »

A thousand apologies.... I thought It said christian. As in the religion. I didnt see the sen at the end :oops: :oops: :oops:
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

mediamaster wrote:A thousand apologies.... I thought It said christian. As in the religion. I didnt see the sen at the end :oops: :oops: :oops:
Well, that explains the confusion....

No apologies are necessary. You hadn't offended anyone. Yet. :wink:
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I was under the impression that they moved the production facilities out of the USA because of the E.P.A.; that the way LEGO creates the molten plastic is a banned process here. Is it true? Dunno, I just read it on Lugnet somewhere, so don't take my word for it.

I just play with little plastic bricks...

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.