Dust control

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Dust control

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Unless my house is the only one that has dust.... I currrently use a bed sheet to cover my MOC's on my "Lego table" which I built a few years ago. I used to not cover, but some of the MOC's I kept for a while would get a bit "fuzzy". I am thinking to switch to a thin poli sheet as it is impervious to all dust as well as not producing any as a bed sheet will (breakdown of cotton fibers). What do you do?
Troy T. Moore
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

Honostly, I don't usualy keep many of my Mocs that long, I do have one castle that has been up for about a year that is starting to get very dirty, If anyone has any good ideas, let me know!! I do have a feather duster that I use. Old french maid style.

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!
Stephen
Laborer

Post by Stephen »

I have a 3 inch paintbrush I use for dusting - the ones intended for varnish generally have very soft bristles. It works pretty good because you can control it better than a feather duster and you can get down between the studs without knocking all the minifigs over.

I don't usually keep my MOCs up for very long, just until I get around to photographing them, but Troy's is not the only house that has dust. :wink:
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I have used several methods for dust. I usually wipe of what I can with a cloth. Then I can use a toothbrush or paint brush to wipe off dust. But brushes can scratch the lego. This is why I prefer compressed air, for cleaning computers, if I have any of it. And of course I also take sets apart and wash them.

As others have said, my creations and sets do not stay built very long.

Ben E.
Last edited by architect on Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

My Sets also stay built for extended periods of time, village houses longer tham most. I usually remove the minifigs and use a swiffer duster to get the dust in between studs. If I had compressed air, I would use that, but the swiffer duster works pretty good. It doesn't scratch either.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

A paint brush can scratch LEGO? Or were you talking about the tooth brush that scratches?
Dada
Freeman

Post by Dada »

I blow the every day above :D
When I want to clean them, I use a rag but dust remains around the pins... :(
Superdada, grand général des armées Léonidienne
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

A paint brush can scratch LEGO? Or were you talking about the tooth brush that scratches?
Yes, depending on the type of bristles used in the paint brush. Of course I am usually not that picky about my sets. Washing is my prefered LEGO cleaning method.

Ben
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

I use canned air sometimes. Generally I just have to let it go, because if I wooried about dust, I'd spend more time dusting than building. When I take things apart, and they're really dusty, I run them upside down on the carpet for a few seconds; cleans em like new. :lol:

Cm2
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Light: Feather duster (modern).

Moderate: Iwata HP-C airbrush with compressor.

Heavy: mild detergent, water, soft brush.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I'm too lazy to dust... I used to try to wash my pieces, but I would get water spots on all the dark colored pieces, which made me cry.
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Ben, what kind of brush did you use? Was it one you would use for wall painting, or a fine artish brush for oil and acrylic paintings?
LEGO_KNIGHT
Artisan

Post by LEGO_KNIGHT »

Hi :D

I wash my LEGO bricks and use a cotton to clean the minifigs. I would suggest using a soft white broad brush that is used for vanishing wood. I find it very soft and gentle for use on LEGO pieces. :wink:

Erwin
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

While the creation is built, I use compressed air or a feather duster. Of course both methods just stir the dust up, and it will settle again eventually.

When I take things apart, I always clean them with warm water and Oxyclean before storing them away again. Oxyclean is great, and doesn't take much rinsing if you're careful to only use a pinch. I also Oxyclean anything I purchase from Ebay or Bricklink that isn't clearly new.

It doesn't get out the smokey smell though.... :(
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

I really don't worry about dust. My creations don't sit very long before they're either changed or broken down. My Camouflaged Outpost has been sitting in my closet for years and is very dusty. It doesn't really bother me though.