Lego Store Review

Discussion of general LEGO topics
akochan
Villein

Post by akochan »

Heh. Well in case you can't figure out, I'm a centrist. I believe everyone and everything should be in a major city with no suburbs and just rural and wilderness between cities. I'm not a fan of sprawl. I like building upwards over outwards. Leaves more room for trees outside the city, and makes cities even more fun to live in than they already are. I'm also not a big fan of cars unless they are designed for racing (underground, amateur, or professional).

Anyhow, there's enough good stores with cheap prices in Boston proper to not have to go out to Burlington except once in a while. The after X-Mas sales this year if you went up and down Harvard Ave were great for Lego fans. SW sets as low as 50% off.

-Andy
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

I only managed to get about 64 2x4 bricks in one cup
SIXTY FOUR?!?!? You should be able to get around 130 when packed right, and I used a similiar system for the 1x4 bricks. Or maybe the big cups are smaller there or something, i dunno.

I followed this picture:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Chris ... pab163.jpg

And while the top layer doesn't actually fit within the cup, that still gives you 120 plus however many you can fit in.

I just mailed Ben E. a PAB cup I filled for him - he can confirm this.

If you figure for 1x4 bricks, that means 240.
Don't get me wrong. I really liked the store... just wished they had more competitive pricing considering that (despite overhead) they didn't have to split the profit with anyone other than their own internal divisions.
Oddly enough, TLG is quite disorganized within its own branches - each LEGO Store aquires their product the SAME WAY as other stores, like K-Mart, WalMart, etc.

SO while you expect TLG to be getting all the profits, the way the situation works, they don't see it. As a matter of fact, I'm amazed the LEGO stores do as well as they do.
Same goes for set prices. They average $5-10 more than online.
Perhaps you can give a specific example. My experience going to the LIC in Orlando break down like this:

For this set: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7045

MSRP: 29.99
Wal-Mart in Tallahassee, FL : 29.92 or maybe 28.93
LIC in Orlando: 29.99

But like I said, there may be more going on with this than I'm aware.

-lenstaki
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~