are Ninja/samuri castle?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I would tend towards the idea that Ninja/Samurai are castle. When I incorporated them into my world, I used them as different assassin guilds and did not incorporate firearms. I think the bringing gunpowder into a "castle" theme takes away from the romanticized view of the medieval time period. The advent of gunpowder in warfare changed the whole concept of war and eventually led to the end of nobility in warfare. Not that war was ever that noble. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
catena
Villein

Post by catena »

I wouldn't say that gunpowder alone did all that. European rediscovery of the Roman tactics of battle (massed men in formations, to improve morale and force) did more to change the battlefield than a technology that was mostly ineffective until the American Civil War introduced rifles which rotated the bullet with grooves. I think the power of the modern military is based on formation tactics and long-distance firepower, both of which changed significantly during the Renaissance. Gunpowder had a role, but did not itself "change the whole concept of war and eventually led to the end of nobility in warfare." The chivalric code (and horse-mounted knights) are still with us in the form of Army Leadership techniques (and tanks).
Jason (lego at jcatena dot net)
Classic-castle [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=874]Master Gatekeeper[/url], March 2004
http://www.jcatena.net/lego
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

This same discussion is currently happening in General lego. I'm locking this thread and moving it there.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~