50,000 hits and going strong!

Discussion of general LEGO topics
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: 50,000 hits and going strong!

Post by footsteps »

Well, it's certainly good news. I've been quite pleased with how this site has developed, and I'm happy to be a (peasant) part of it.

At the risk of uttering a discouraging word....

Don't rest on your laurels just yet. This site is still young and still developing. I first started lurking (and occasionally posting) on rtl (remember that?!!?) and made the switch to Lugnet when Todd started that site.

It too was a great, very friendly, place to post and talk about Lego. At first. Over time, as the site became better known and more popular, more people joined in. This included many younger fans, a small segment of whom lacked... um... er... social skills. Flames came easily. Also, among some of the older, original Lugneters were a few who had strongly held views on a number of issues (political, economic, religious, social, etc) who tended to clash with each other. These clashes could easily spill into other discussions.

Part of this was structural. Lugnet was designed to be self regulating, with minimal oversight from admin types. Also, the inclusion of an off-topic.debate category allowed for spirited discussion, which could sometimes affect regular postings. So, the impression of friendliness went through a period of decline.

Generally I think things have improved, in terms of tone, on Lugnet, though I'm sure there are times when things turn sour. I've learned to restrict myself to some safe Lugnet forums (bst, castle).

Here on CC, the admins take a more active role (and there's no off-topic spot), so potential flash-points (and there have been a few) are locked down. This will work as long as the admins remain interested and active (hey, this is their baby -- long may they be active!) and the people using this site are amenable to a more active oversight than Lugnet.

Both sites, Lugnet and C-C, operate under different environments and each fills a need/market -- so don't think I'm trying to praise one and dis another. I browse both (posting here is easier) to find what interests me. I don't fret about areas outside my own interests.

Anyway, I guess this is a long-winded way of saying: don't take the friendliness for granted. It takes a lot of work. If we don't remember that, it wouldn't take much for sourness to creep in.

Okay, I've blethered on ad nauseum. Some of you may want to throw me in the dungeon, or maybe bust me all the way back to Gong Farmer. Ah, well. Thanks for reading this far. I hope I haven't offended anyone (too much) -- just trying to make some observations.

This is a fun place to post (even when I've strayed off-topic :wink: ), and to browse, read, and... um... steal ideas. No wait, let's try "adopt" ideas. Ya, I like that better.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Alan,

I think that your post is a good one. You bring up valid points of people showing interest because the site is new and not complicated with rivalries.

I think that good admins make a good site. At CC, we plan to introduce new admins when they are needed. We will pass along the torch to others if necessary. It is important to be open to change and new ideas.

Sites like lugnet are great but they are not making too much effort to change. We hope that this doesnt happen to CC in the future. That is why we believe in a large team of admins working together. We have been working on long term strategies for CC which can be presented to the public sometime in the future.

We also know the problems that a debate forum can cause and have purposely chosen not to have one here because it strays from discussing LEGO.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

Wow!!! 50K! this is wonderful. Congrads to all the admins, and everyone who puts time and input to make this place the home it is for alot of us!!!

Btw, are you accepting applications for new admins? or will you be?

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Wow!!! 50K! this is wonderful. Congrads to all the admins, and everyone who puts time and input to make this place the home it is for alot of us!!!
Thank you. CC is homey isnt it :wink:
Btw, are you accepting applications for new admins? or will you be?
No, and maybe. The admins are still working on long term planning for CC. In general, each admin fits the section that they administer. If a new area is needed, or an existing admin leaves and needs to be replaced, the current admins would look for people who could best fit that role. I am only speaking for myself and not for all admins here because we still need to work on these issues.

However, I would discourage everyone from bombarding us with requests to be an admin :shock: We would encourage members to participate by building castle creations, commenting in the forum, publicly displaying their creations, and by writing articles for the website. Any of these activities will be supported by the admin team :D

CC is a community organization. The admins just want to keep it headed in the correct direction. Now we just need to define what that direction is, and how to keep it there.

I hope this has been somewhat helpful and not completely confusing.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

Thanks Ben, This is a wonderful place! Good luck to all of you in your decision making!

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!