New shades of grey!

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Linus
Freeman

Post by Linus »

Hair looking like feces? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Can I add :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:?
Messed up grey, messed up brown, enough juonorization to fill a 3 foot by 3 foot box with a set that contains 5 pieces.... sigh, what's next? A replacement color for red? ....Double sigh..... :cry:
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I bought a 2004 sets last weekend. I noticed the change between light grays, but I'll look carefully for the dark gray and brown. If it's possible I'll put picture.:wink:

I bought 4406
http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=4406 ... A43E20C669
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

I also picked up that buildings set. It really has a nice selection of brick in there. I totally recomend it. It has lots of the new light grey and some of the new dark grey and brown in it but not enough for the hoarders out there. lol Here is a quick scan I did comparing the two browns, the old on the bottom and the new on the top. Personaly, I don't mind having two shades of brown in my collection but I have been hoarding brown for some time now. You be the judge as to whether or not you like the new.

Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Hm....that's not bad at all.

Mr. D
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

The new brown is a bit more red in the new color. For the dark and light gray, both old colors are a bit more yellow.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

It looks worse in natural and house lights and the color discrepancies between sets is pretty noticeable. The Cantina browns have a more reddish-orange color. A bit like you know... Good for variation is soils and landscapes, but not great for wood constructions and hair pieces. But I guess it will have to stay, just like I doubt we will see any real action in regards to the grays. I won't give up hope though, TLC throws a good surprise our way occasionally.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
wlister wrote:I won't give up hope though, TLC throws a good surprise our way occasionally.
Yes. Hope dies last.

Then again every good surprise ("Yeah! New Castle sets!") is followed by two bad surprises ("Sorry, greys are changed." + "Minifigs rendering living persons get a fleshy skin tone.")

I feel kinda bad being such a negative person recently. But I can't help it. Negative input causes negative output. And I'm not a mathematician ;)

Bye
Jojo

doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

The new brown looks like it might be all right for stained wood, but not for trees or large wood constructions. I think I'd have to see it in person though.
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

Hallo,

After buying the Snowspeeder, I got a look at the new greys, dark and light. They are really not that different, I can barely tell with the light grey, and I think that they will be good, especially when mixed with old to get a real castle loook.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Pacificus
Villein

New Colors?

Post by Pacificus »

Do any of you know of a webpage that compares the old light gray with the new light gray, as well as the other new colors?
PACIFICVS
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Pacificus,

Welcome to Classic Castle!

You can see some pictures of the light and dark greys here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=73125

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Pacificus
Villein

Strange...

Post by Pacificus »

Thanks, Ben E., for the link.
PACIFICVS
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I bought my first 2004 set, #4753, tonight, and got my first look at all of the new colors.
To be honest, I really can't tell the difference between the old and new light grey. Maybe it's the lighting in my room, but since that's where my creations stay, it doesn't really matter.
The new dark grey is a different story. It doesn't quite match up with the old, but it's almost identical to Megabloks dark grey, which I am not ashamed to say that I use. In other words, I will still have no problem using it.
The only color I really had a problem with is the new brown... but #4753 comes with both the new brown and the old brown. So maybe the classic brown isn't being replaced after all.
Sadly, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the new flesh tone minifigs. Perhaps put a helmet on them and make sure they never see the light of day again?
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I don't notice the new light grey as much. Unless I am really looking for it, or am comparing. The brown I notice somewhat, and am not fond of it at all. But at least I don't do much building in brown. Now the dark grey is the worst. Everytime I see it I cringe. It looks too much like gun metal. Doesn't look like stone anymore. While I can live with the light grey change, not overly affected by the brown, the dark grey puts me off Lego.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]