Event Kit Fun :)

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Mookie
Serf

Event Kit Fun :)

Post by Mookie »

I just wanted to let everyone see what I did with an event kit I got from Lego.

I'm a little upset the pics turned out blurry, though you can get a good idea of the chaos and fun the kids had! I have to admit it was a learning experience on how to deal with 20 kids asking questions all at once!

I am glad they split the group, though I wish they would have done it a little more evenly, instead of 20 kids and 8 kids! by the time the 2nd round came in to play I was actually pretty pooped and didn't get a lot of pictures taken.

When I was packing up the few sets I took to show the kids, they got very nervous, and I could feel the whining about to start.
"You're leaving?" yes.
"I'm not done yet." that's ok.
"Are you going to come back?" I can if Kate wants.
"Can I keep what I built?" No, I think you should leave it here.

After answering their questions and telling them the LEGO would be staying there for them, I relished the looks on their faces!

"Really??, you mean this for us??" "Thank you Miss Tamy!" (the kids are taught to call everyone miss or mr.) followed by some very nice hugs.

I have to say, there was only one person that didn't enjoy herself, she was at the older stage of Lego is for kids and it's a boy toy. We tried to get her interested though I guess we lost one :( Though, I think we made up for her in the 2nd group, one of the workers there, Mr. Dan said he was going to be stopping at his parents house on the way home and getting all his Lego! I'm pretty sure there was a dorm room full of 'kids' playing with Lego this weekend!

If you've read this far, I hope you enjoyed and if you'd like to view the pics they are at:
http://www.tanarth.com/mookie
or direct link
http://www.tanarth.com/mookie/lacasa/

LMKWYT :)
Tamy
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Tamy,

This is a very cool thing to post! Seeing how excited and creative the kids at Festival of the Masters were, I can understand how much fun this was!

Keep us informed on what else you've got planned, and if Classic-Castle can help in anyway!

_lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

That is a wonderful way to use Lego! It is always nice to see the next generation get involved with this great toy. I guess for all you who have kids, this is a daily accurance. But for me, it was heartwarming to see

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey Tamy,

It looks like a load of fun. I especially like the ladybug(?) in picture 2683. Is the girl in picture 2689 the one you described as disinterested? How soon before you go back?

Bruce
Mookie
Serf

Post by Mookie »

The ladybug was built by one of the kids after she saw the one I made from the instructions, she only saw it for about 3 or 4 mins and came back to me with the one she created, I was rather impressed! it was quite weak as far as staying together, though she sure caught the shape of it quick! :P
I gave her one of the shirts and one of the pins for creating that.
Yes, the girl sitting on the floor in full pout mode was the only kid that didn't enjoy the day. She's always been that way though, when I used to work at the center about a year and a half ago, she was rather rude and obnoxious. Some things never change! She did have another sitting next to her, though she finally decided not to be a follower and joined in and had a blast.

I'm not sure when or if I might go back, the Lego was left there for the kids, so they can play at anytime. Though it's always a blast to watch little imaginations at work! Maybe I'll go down one day and do some of the games I wanted to play with the kids, though I'll make sure it's a much smaller group. :wink:

I would love to do this again someplace else, Maybe someday I'll get that chance! There are so many places around here that I could get involved in play days.

Thanks for the responses!!
Tamy
Troy
King Mnementh the Bronze
King Mnementh the Bronze

Post by Troy »

Yeah, after I sent her the pullback motors FedEx Priority Overnight, she didn't even use them!

Of course, had I not forgotten to put them in her order in the first place, that wouldn't have been necessary! But that is not the point!

:)

Troy
Visit Troy's Surplus LEGO
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=mnementh
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: Event Kit Fun :)

Post by footsteps »

Congratulations on reminding kids that it's okay to play. I wish I could have been there too, but I might have forgotten for whom the event was meant. :wink: It's good to see your name appearing in posts again. I'd been wondering what had happened to you. For a long time I was unable to access your site -- always a good site for inspiration. Do you still have any of those awesome torso stickers?

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)