83%
Neck Protector
17%

Total votes: 41

cracker nate
Peasant

helmets

Post by cracker nate »

I also always use the "bullet" helms for my archers and flared helms for my foot soldiers. I don't think I ever really thought about why though. I'd like to go with the brown cloth hoods, but I just don't have enough of them.
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

I like the bullet helmet - now that I think of it I have no idea why besides the fact that that's how all (OK most) lego archers just came that way.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Sir Terrance
Councilor

I also would use the Bullet type helms.

Post by Sir Terrance »

Yes, I think the 'bullet' type helms are the best since the others have a nose gaurd, (which doesn't make sense since LEGO men don't have noses :wink: ) and it could block the archers view.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

That's simple. I use Chin Guard helmet for archer, because Lego put mostly Chin Guard helmet on archer than other. Every archers of 6080, 6073, 6074, 6085 had Chin Guard helmet.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

To add to what Ben, Jojo and David said the only 2 sets LEGO ever used with flared helm for archers were 6086 and 6012.
I don't think they fit well for archers and as others said that's why I don't use them for archers. However considering Crossbows it varies (something like 50%-50%).

Nonetheless I think the best helmet for archers is the one with the Broad Brim from the KK theme but I guess it's more 14th-15th century

David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I agree the helmet in your picture fit well for archer too. It's representative of the last century of middle age, but it fit well for this period. This period correspond to the time they knight use plate armor. This helmet is one of their niciest, and it's one of the most accurate. :wink:
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I always use the bullet type for archers. I really can't say why. Probably because that is mainly how Lego has presented them.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

Either of the helmets with a chin guard, especially the broad brimmed one Posted by Yaron, are good for archers. Archers are special, because they either stand still or are carried about on chariots or elephants. They dont have to march, run, and tackle (well, MY soldiers tackle) so they can afford wearing uncomftorable, safer, motion limiting helmets. Anyways, chinstrap=archer.

Off topic note: Anyone who has tons of excess crowns, try using them as scales/horns on a dragon or sea serpent, I bet it would look great
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb
Pacificus
Villein

My Minifigs live in a sword-centric universe...

Post by Pacificus »

In my armored factions (Lions, Eagles, and Dragons), bullet helmets are given to the spearmen, the one axman (the dude with the two crossed axes), and the archers. Swordsmen carry the more "heroic-looking" neck protector/nose protector helmet (since swords equate to heroism...how very cliche of me). I never really thought about utilitarian value in the helmets, only personal aesthetics. While my LEGO Castle universe is very sword-centric, I have several major characters who are archers, spearmen (and spearwomen), and axmen (who do not have the obligatory axe symbol). To sum it up, archers get the chin guard bullet helmets.
PACIFICVS