Is TLC headed towards Rome?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
kaloo
Laborer

Is TLC headed towards Rome?

Post by kaloo »

I'm wondering, has anyone else really noticed how many new pieces are Roman like?
there are the
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x259
there are the elephants, which might be hijacked from Carthage*
the roman shape shields found in the new KK2 sets
there are the new gold weapons in the OE sets (I have all three and they look great as a Roman general or officer.)
I hope this hasn't alreaday been posted, so if it has please tell me and if it hasn't please LMKWYT!

*(I just realized that It might seem a bit racist if the more or less 'white' Romans fought the North African Carthagians, who would obviously be protrayed as the bad guys, so lets hope that no matter what TLC doesn't start a culture war)

I'm crazy about polls, but I managed not to make this into one.
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb
Dragon Master
Merchant

Re: Is TLC headed towards Rome?

Post by Dragon Master »

kaloo wrote:I'm wondering, has anyone else really noticed how many new pieces are Roman like?
there are the
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x259
there are the elephants, which might be hijacked from Carthage*
the roman shape shields found in the new KK2 sets
there are the new gold weapons in the OE sets (I have all three and they look great as a Roman general or officer.)
I hope this hasn't alreaday been posted, so if it has please tell me and if it hasn't please LMKWYT!

*(I just realized that It might seem a bit racist if the more or less 'white' Romans fought the North African Carthagians, who would obviously be protrayed as the bad guys, so lets hope that no matter what TLC doesn't start a culture war)

I'm crazy about polls, but I managed not to make this into one.
Hannibal was white. And I doubt we will get any Romans as long as the Ranibow kingts are around.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

oooo. nevermind about the racist thing, i took it for granted the were black. I'll go look up where carthage is... So sorry everyone, really... :oops:
I dont know that much about history...
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Most northern africans are caucasian. I.E. the Eqyptians were mostly light skinned. Don't worry about the mistake.

As for the Roman theme TLC has given us some nice pieces to make MOCs. So take those elephants, sheilds,a and colums, and make Roman Mocs. I would love to see it!

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

I have already.
I have a war elephant, seats two archers and a slave driver, most likely from where the elephant was hijacked from.
On the slave part, Romans had a reputation for treating their slaves the best in the world at that period, they could walk around town freely, marry unofficially, play with the children of the house, and go watch shows at the amphitheater, no chains attached. I know this as I'm studying Latin, but haven't gotten to Carthage yet. But thats off topic.
I also got an oversized chariot that holds three, and a temple that was giant but recently downsized, from like 300 to about 75 pieces.
If I ever get a digital camera, a brickshelf account, and the knowhow, I'll upload some pics. At the moment I dont have any of those :x
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

kaloo wrote:...they could walk around town freely, marry unofficially, play with the children of the house, and go watch shows at the amphitheater, no chains attached...
Whoa! Sounds a bit like my life!

And for the brickshelf account, it is extremely simple. I'm not too internet smart, but I did it with ease.

DM
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

For Roman architecture take a look at Casper's Temple (pic = link):

(Buildings and images © neverroads, who clearly needs a better camera)

Bye
Jojo

Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Thats an awsome temple. I just wish the pics were better. I especially like the black statue. If I was going to make a roman/greek moc, I'd probably use white, for marble.

DM
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

WOW, great temple. Casper must have alot of white pieces. I dont have nearly as many of that type, only a bricklink order would do it. I have a white minifig, with staff and beard, he makes a great god. Me and DM always seem to think of the same stuff :) Mine is the god of birds, because of the white HP owls, and the red Fort LEGOREDO birds, which match the red columns from the China sets. And theirs a hot priestess right next to it who whacks vistors if they dont leave a good offering
By the way, look at armothe's (Kyle P??) temple here
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=13398 and go Up to find more great stuff.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

That temple is made out of grey (light) bricks. It looks white becuase of the poor picture quality.

DM
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Most northern africans are caucasian. I.E. the Eqyptians were mostly light skinned. Don't worry about the mistake.
Carthage was a colony of Phoenicia, aka Tyre (their capital) and modern day Lebanon. They along with the Minoans were great sea farers in the ancient world. Both Minoans and Phoenicians as well as most ancient Egyptians were of Semitic stock. Other Egyptians were of Numidian, Kushite and etc. descent, or "Black African".
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Neverroads
Serf

Post by Neverroads »

(Buildings and images © neverroads, who clearly needs a better camera)
Indeed, I DO need a better camera :) But I also still think I rather spend the money on extra bricks ;)

Thanks for the link and complements.
If I was going to make a roman/greek moc, I'd probably use white, for marble
Marble is also in grey, black or the most expensive of it all, in pink or red :) and white marble will look grey over time, due to weather. It's why I choose grey for the temple.

I wish, I prayed and dream LEGO would make Romans, Greek or any antics serie (Atlantis?!) ever since I was a kid ... and well, I still have not given up all hope.

But I doubt it will come soon :( If ever...

Casper
"Of all things minifig is the measure"
-Bricktagoras-
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Well, they say that europeans get more and more interested in history, let´s hope that goes for the danes as well!

I´d sure like the romans to be a LEGO-theme some day, then they could bring back those wonderful Dragon Master-helmets, would fit very well on say a centurion, maybe not a black one but light gray or even chrome...

Let´s dream about that for a moment

mmmmmmmmmmmm... :) [/b]
I'm back, and so is Castle!
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

Except they'd probably have more centurions (leaders of 100 Roman troops) than soldiers. No, but posting this Rome thing and hoping they made it would be to hope LEGO changes directions, and goes back to what we love, go back to when there WERE MORE FIGS THAN LEADERS!!!! I wouldn't want any (Roman sets) if they continued to go in the direction they're headed. Namely bankruptcy. Sometime soon we need to scare them and boycott a theme. AND mass agree to it. KK2 or HP3? Or both and stock up on Anthony's stickers and the legends sets for a long sit out...
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I don't think I could boycott HP3. Some of the new HP sets are the best ones we have seen in that line. KK2 I could boycott in a second. In fact, in a way I have. I had already decided not to buy any until they hit 50% - 75% off. None of them look like they are worth half the MSRP anyway. Though not truly a boycott, its the least I could do. Now if these sets were by some miracle in the old gray I would change my mind.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.