New Grays

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Well there's not much that hasn't already been said by others... I can tolerate the *addition* of new colours, but not the replacement of existing colours! I'm very annoyed by this change, so much that I don't see myself buying very much (if any) from stores, regardless of sales. Instead I'll be looking for stuff on eBay and/or Bricklink.

With that said, the new light grey isn't too bad. I'll probably just mix it in with my old stuff.

However, the new dark grey is HORRIBLE. Like most castle builders here, we use dark grey for rocks. The new dark grey has way too much blue for such a purpose. I'll definitely keep these pieces separate from my existing dark grey.
jeff_o_rama
Laborer

Post by jeff_o_rama »

Sometimes rock does look metallic.

http://photos.rockclimbing.com/photos//48/4837.jpg

Image changed to link by admin - please see the image size limits thread in the admin forum. Thanks! :)

-Jeff
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

Can you find a pic of a castle like this ? :lol:

And no photoshop aloud.
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb
jeff_o_rama
Laborer

Post by jeff_o_rama »

Well, I haven't found a castle made out of this kind of rock (basalt). However, you could make a castle out of it if you so desired. Also, you could make basalt outcrops with the new dark gray. It might look realistic to use the dark gray bricks to make a water stain in a cliff made with light gray bricks.

There's always hope. :D

-Jeff
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Does anyone have a pic of the colors?

DM

Stupid question ^ But I can't find a pic anywhere!
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
jeff_o_rama
Laborer

Post by jeff_o_rama »

Image changed to link by admin - please see the image size limits thread in the admin forum. Thanks!
My bad guys. It won't happen again! :)

-Jeff
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Dragon Master wrote:Does anyone have a pic of the colors?
Yes (pics = links):

and

The difference between the light-greys didn't turn out that bad in the picture. But it is noticeable. The brick is new grey, the fig is old grey but it is a new fig that is not yellowed (the grey knight fig from HP).

Bye
Jojo

Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Thanks much Jojo,

The light grey change doesn't look all that bad I suppose. But the dark grey is a total different color. It looks bluish to me.

Bye,

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Jojo - You just love creating funny little scenes like that don't you :lol:

The light grey is annoying, but not to bad - if incorperated and well mixed with the older greys, one can make a convincing looking castle (not just one solid color, but something of a mix). The new dark grey - I hold that to be the worst discision TLC has made to date. It's awful to say the least
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I tried to mixed old and new light gray together many time since I got a 2004 set, one month ago and I have to say that I didn't success to make something interesting. It looked always ugly. If someone success to mixed the 2 light grays together and made something nice, please send us pictures... :?
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

My bad.

It was just a speculation. How bad is it though? Could you show a pic showing some kind of wall trying to mix both of the colors up? I haven't seen the new grey in front of me yet
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

It was ugly, and I change new gray bricks for old gray bricks. I didn't keep any creation with both colors. I could try to make something to desmonstrate it. :wink: