New Grays

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Mr. D
Councilor

New Grays

Post by Mr. D »

Ok, so what do you think about the new grays? And what will you use them for; or won't you use them at all? I'll say what I think a little later.

mD
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

I'll use them in spaceships, if nothing else.
I'll have to build them into a castle wall first, though, to see if they could be used for castle or not. I've heard that they are metallic, but you told me in chat atleast the light gray wasn't. Metallic MIGHT actually be good for space. But I in no way support the new ways, and will have trouble using them.

0/100
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

i will use them in all my castles!

That is....if they arn't matalic....
I don't know what I would do if they were....
They would sit in the lego tub.....

They will be collecting dust, I won't be collecting them.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

I don't like the new greys. To be more specific: I don't like that the new greys replace the old greys for the old greys used to be a much more friendly and warm colour than those new "cool" colours. I don't like that everything recently released by TLC seems to become more and more aggressive, even the metalic colours now. (And yes, I know the Castle weapons are not exactly meant to be Q-tips, either...)

I already polemised a lot against the colour change both at Lugent and at 1000steine and I'm too tired to repeat that now. But I clearly think that there are some idiots on TLC's payroll who have too much power to make silly decisions.

(Disclaimer: This posting does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the admins of this forum.)

Bye
Jojo

J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

Well I don't have any of them yet - But when I do get them I'm going just separate them out into their own bucket and probably not use them...atleast not until I actually have enough to do something with.
Aidan
Foot Soldier

Post by Aidan »

Is the new gray what bricklink calls dark bluish gray and light bluish gray? I guess I am a little late to this debate :oops:
Let them come...
They will break upon this fortress like water on rock!
---King Theoden

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=the6717
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I will be trying to avoid using them as well.

The new dark gray if used in a weapons accessory pack is all right, the new dark gray looks fine for metal objects, not so much for anything remotely rock related. Since I only build in the castle theme, new dark gray is essentially a pariah in my collection anything not a weapon or armor in the new dark gray will be sold in my store. For cheap too, since I can forsee a glut in the market for this color.

Light gray is unfortunatly not as easy to get rid of. I always need more light gray, there are never enough light gray bricks, I was sorely tempted to buy a Megabloks battleship for the light gray, but came to my senses on time. So I will use the new light gray for brick, castle walls and other castle items, but I won't mix new light gray with old light gray though, the contrast is ghastly. All other non-castle new light gray items will be fodder for my store.

I can't believe TLC could be so wrong in their product development. Sure they have done a lot of retarded things over the years(Galidor anyone), but this color issue really takes the cake. In the middle of financial losses where possibly for the first time they probably can't afford to lose the AFOL market and they pull this stunt. I will not be rushing out to buy any of the new sets at full retail. And I know a lot of other AFOL's who will not be rushing out to buy the new stuff either.I wonder if complaints made at the retail level would help reverse the color issue. I'll have to find out. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Here is a dissenting vote.
I don't care one way or the other. :D
I have gray lego that are older than some of the members in this forum, and many pieces rescued from garage sales, or being thrown away.
One look at most of my MOC's and you will see that they are a mottled looking bunch of bricks.
Now- some of you are going to say "FREAK - what about my castle that I want all one shade of gray?"
To which I reply "I dunno..." :oops:

Not very helpful is it?

freak
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

It's what we're getting. I don't really mind the light grey, it's kind of a nice colour but the dark grey is ghastly IHMO. I keep hearing people say they won't buy the new sets so I'm happy, maybe there'll be enough for me. I'll have an easier time hoarding the new grey if I don't have to compete with Will on the south end of Calgary. :P
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

If they're metallic in color perhaps they could be used for Siege Weapons? Imagine a wooden siege tower with armor plating. Somewhat similiar to what the Mordor Army used in the siege of Minas Tirith in the movies.

Perhaps other types of Siege Weapon as well. Im thinking of redesigning a current siege weapon I have. Considering the civilization that built them, and the type of projectile launching mechanism... metallic light/dark gray would be quite appropriate.

Or.... how about some metal armor castle crenellations and ramparts (the Black Gate anyone)? This is perhaps best suited for the Fantasy type Castle MOCs.

You really just have to find a use for this type of changes Lego makes. Considering that those are supposed to be metalic, perhaps Lego would release that color for new castle weapons and armor! :D Metallic light/dark gray swords! Now your swords won't resemble the rock color of your castles.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

everytime I think about the new colour issue I feel sad. It makes me want to buy loads of gray (the old one that is).
Colours are very important to me, I'm very picky when it comes to colourcombinations.

I will keep the new gray separate from my other grays. I bought a mini ISD only to compare the grays. I must say I like the colours, but they are just to different from the old gray and that is something I can't deal with.

I'm going to Legoland Günzburg in a month and I just hope they still have loads of gray. Maybe I'll spend my entire budget on gray bricks. Now I just hope they don't have other useful parts I "must have" ;)
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I'm agree with you stuifzand that the new gray is not so bad. The problem is only the fact that it doesn't fit with the rest. I'm disapointed too by this change. I like the old grays. They are more warm, as Jojo said. They are a lot more metalic, and are least yellow.

But, I don't think Lego will return to previous color, sadely. :( I think they will go this way. Maybe in the future they will not change anymore color, but they will not go back. They didn't do this at any point of their history. I don't think they will make it now, even if we are really disapointed. TLC know that our love for Lego is enough strong to keep loving Lego.

The best thing to do, I think, is to avoid mixing old and new grays in the same MOC. As Jpinoy said, we can use new grays for metallic things.

I think we have to live with this new problematic. I'll keep loving Lego because I know they listen to us. In the future I hope they will be more attentive to us before doing things like that. :wink:
Aidan
Foot Soldier

Post by Aidan »

Hey who rememebers New Coke! Back in the 80s Coke changed their formula. Everyone went crazy buying up Old Coke. There was such an outcry that they switched back to the original formula. Many cynics (myself included) :wink: beleive it was all a ruse to boost sales (which it did).

Maybe Lego is trying something similar. :D

I know, wishful thinking :cry:

I am going to start madly hoarding "old" gray! :evil:
Let them come...
They will break upon this fortress like water on rock!
---King Theoden

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=the6717
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: New Grays

Post by footsteps »

I'm not sure if this has been said before, elsewhere. If anyone finds themselves with a large quantity of new grey that they just can't stand... please feel free to send it my way :wink:

Grey is grey. Or is it: Gray is gray.

And I want lots of it.

YessssssSS, I wantssssssSS it. My PreciousssSSSSS.

<ahem>

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

The new light gray doesn't look so bad to me. I suppose if I accumulate enough I will use it. I don't have any so far, so I can't tell yet how it would look mixed with old light gray, but I could see mixing myself. I've been trying to do more mixing lately to try and match authentic rock walls, e.g.:
http://www.ozbricks.com/bricktales/misc ... isc01.html
I could conceive of using new light gray mixed in with this. The new dark gray, OTOH, looks pretty bad to me (at least in the context of stone--is suppose it might be okay for a spaceship, if I could accumulate enough).
I did just make a bricklink order for $30 worth of bricks in light and dark gray, just to make sure I built up my collection a bit.

Bruce