Green Samurai

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
NickGreat
Villein

Post by NickGreat »

kelderic;
the gold rings on the green layer for the barding look amazing.
Uhm.. they're supposed to be scales. :cry:

JPinoy;
FrySlayer did bring this up to me for obvious reason of combat effectiveness. I still kinda like the huge horns though.

ZIGGY;
Sorry, I don't have any other pic hostings account other than brickshelf.

Maedhros;
When I first saw the Skiff Helmet on the Sandcrawler set, `Samurai Helmet' was my first reaction.
I like the Red too, but more for sentimental reasons.

Dunechaser;
Heh, glad you like it!
Kozai13
Peasant

Post by Kozai13 »

Wow, just wow is all I can think of. This is amazing! When I first saw the pic I was frozen with amazement for a few minutes. You did an awesome job with this custom figure.
Matt

Check out my brickshelf account:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Matman13

And my brickset profile:
http://www.brickset.com/profile/default.aspx?user=Matman13
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

My goodness. It was quite a while after seeing that samurai that I managed to recover bodily control. I think that it's my favorite of all your samurai so far, even taking into account the utterly fantastic mask on the Black Samurai. Speaking of which, did you glue the mask on the Black Samurai to the wide-brimmed hat, or did you glue it directly onto the fig's head?
HeartOfDorkness
Starwars4J
Laborer

Post by Starwars4J »

I would post a reply over at MCN, however my net is acting finicky and MCN always takes forever to load, so it probably wouldn't go. Anyway this is fantastic work as always! I'm glad you didn't let me down on my favorite color :P

That scythe is a thing of beauty, and absolutely puts the official piece to shame! I love the whole look of this, though the Red and White are still my favorites. I could try painting and carving for a hundred years and not have the talent to make any of your colored samurai. That, however, doesn't stop me from experimenting on GG helms. You must be the one buying them all up though! Darn things are becoming really scarce.

Anyway, despite all the drool I need to clean up after viewing those pictures, I must know! What color is next? :D
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

This is great it is actually pretty realistic besides the horns on the horses ,,armour." brilliant work :D
ericgizmo
Freeman

Post by ericgizmo »

this is so cool!!!!!! :D
plucky
Laborer

Post by plucky »

I have to reiterate what others have said: Wow.
That's all.
Wow.

-plucky
Tjsingle
Serf

One word

Post by Tjsingle »

One word is WHOA. i like the dragon head for a horse helmet, and the green is a nice touch. I always do like your stuff
NickGreat
Villein

Post by NickGreat »

HeartOfDarkness;
For the Black, I glued the mask to the hat, so that it works like a headgear.

Starwars4J;
Heh, I don't have many GG helms left myself. I like to think that I contributed to the GG helm's scarcity, but truth it, parts dissapppear fast when no new sets comes up with it.
Sadly, no other coloured samurai in the works. I'll still try once I get the time (though).
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

NickGreat wrote:kelderic;
the gold rings on the green layer for the barding look amazing.
Uhm.. they're supposed to be scales. :cry:
:oops: Ohh...
Dang, this is what comes of not taking enough time to study something before commenting on it. Very well, the scales on the green layer for the barding look amazing. :D

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

You astound me with your samurai ways Nick Great! Just when I think you couldn't do anything more to make another unique samurai you put me in my place. Amazing...simply amazing...
"The sky grows black...shadow falls...the Dark Tide comes..."

[Edgar J.]
Lord Mikal
Archer

Post by Lord Mikal »

Okay, this is not possible. you actually managed to top the white and Black samurai. Wow.

Question: what font did you use to get that character? When I first looked at it, I thought it was Korean! The perfect roundness is just unusual in a Chinese/Japanese character.

The barding. I can't believe the barding. I take it you still use a jewler's saw for that, or your trusty dremel? No way I would ever try to rout something like that. That is crazy awesome, and the decal matches the shape perfectly.

It's interesting that you boiled the sculpey, horse, and helm all together, because last time I tried baking sculpey while attached to the LEGO, it became permanently affixed. I'll still try that next time I attempt to make a horse helm.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=mikal1]My Brickshelf[/url]
Azure, a saltire cantoned with a star in chief and in base and two crescents addorsed in the flanks, argent.
NickGreat
Villein

Post by NickGreat »

kelderic;
on second look, they do look like scales...

The dark tide;
I think I've effectively painted myself in a corner now.

Lord Mikal;
The font is still chinese. I searched for a font that closely resembled what an emperor's seal would look like. Can't remember the font name (though).
For the barding, I used a dremel to get as close to the required outline, then hand filed/sandpaper to finish.
The hosre helm is done like what I decribed. But I think I did in in 2 stages; adding more sculpey the second time round. Btw, with enough force, sculpey does detach from the plastic.
nwinch
Peasant

Post by nwinch »

those are some sweet customs
92% of teens would die if Abercrombie & Fitch said it wasnt cool to breathe. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who would be laughing
doc069
Bailiff

Post by doc069 »

It is a truly beautiful creation - a piece of art. Thanks for sharing the information. I am going to give a go at the horse's helm, and the information you have provided will be extremely valuable.

I would have thought you used a modeler's spray-gun to create such a nice finish - I guess you must be far better than I am with a spray-can (can you say 'horrible runs').

Thanks for sharing - I have saved all the pics of your creations for future reference and credit.

Lee.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools. And the guidance of wise men (& women)." Sir David Ogilvy (1911-1999)