Chainmail

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
canadais2cool
Villein

Chainmail

Post by canadais2cool »

If someone like Red Bean, or some other extreamly talented at making custom pieces needs a new great idea use mine make some chain mail. Like, real chainmail with real chainlinks.

Thanx in advance,
Me
Canada, Eh?
Ramus
Laborer

Post by Ramus »

This should help...

viewtopic.php?t=483

Might be what you are looking for.
I liked the medium chain.

-- Ramus
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

I think he means an acctual phisical plastic armour. Made from chainlinks like the LEGO chains
cracker nate
Peasant

Chainmail

Post by cracker nate »

I think that would be impossible. Those links would be way too small to do anything with. And if you made them the size of the links on the Lego chains, it would look silly. Holes in the armor you could ride a horse through.
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

I have seen it done by James Brown here: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/James ... aptain.jpg. I think it looks really good.
SirCumferance
Laborer

Post by SirCumferance »

First of all, the links could not be plastic. They would bend and break if you tried to make mail with it. Second, using metal is not only realy hard when using tiny links, but also looks unrealistic because even links as tiny as the ones seen in the picture ST gave look way too huge. But, feel free to try. It definitly will NOT be easy (making normal-sized mail is hard enough). Here is a pic of some one elses work:

(sorry admins if this is too big)
I am the queen of France!

... Maker of Castle Crusade

Mail me! kullvox03222@yahoo.com
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Actually, I've thought about this before but like it's already been stated, making it out of real chain (or even plastic ones) will be too difficult and the result wouldn't look nice either. So I thought about sculpting the texture on a 'vest' for the torso, but then I realise to get a consistent pattern over the entire vest, I'll probably go blind in the end. :D

So for this reason, I'm going to stick with chain mail stickers on my minifigs. :wink:

R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

Red Bean wrote:Actually, I've thought about this before but like it's already been stated, making it out of real chain (or even plastic ones) will be too difficult and the result wouldn't look nice either. So I thought about sculpting the texture on a 'vest' for the torso, but then I realise to get a consistent pattern over the entire vest, I'll probably go blind in the end. :D

So for this reason, I'm going to stick with chain mail stickers on my minifigs. :wink:
Hmmm, how about this approach: using the chain-mail in the pic posted by SirCumferance make an impression in Sculpy in order to create a mold for making Sculpy armour. Is that workable?

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Or you take your sculpy, make a perfectly smooth surface, take your chainmail sticker, apply it, then follow the pattern with whatever tool you would use to carve it. It would still take some pretty close work, but it should elimate alot of the guesswork in getting a consistent pattern. If the sticker were a water slide decal, it should be thin enough that it would puncture where the tool was applied, unlike a regular sticker that would simply tear. I don't know if this would work, but if I had the tools/expertise, I'd certainly give it a whirl.

Cm2