BrickArms News and Notes

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

I'm just disappointed it is not a real cleaver:

Butchers, mafia hit men, psycho killers, they all need real cleavers. 8)
the enigma that is badger
Apprentice

Post by the enigma that is badger »

Tedward wrote:I'm just disappointed it is not a real cleaver
Actually, it is a real cleaver; the second Chinese character of dadao, 刀, is used to refer to any broad-bladed item and is often simply translated as cleaver. Kitchen cleavers, like the one pictured above, are called tsai dao. Da dao literally means "big cleaver."

One translation often used for larger dao is broadsword, but given this term is usually associated with types of Western straight bladed swords, the decision was made to refer to this item as the BrickArms Cleaver.

badger
For no one, no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
[url=http://flickr.com/photos/enigmabadger/]Flickr[/url]
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

Cool, but I'd like to see someone make a proper scimitar. The lego version is obviously too big. It should be the same length as your cleaver, but thinner and more classically proportioned. I think it would be a real winner.
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

Lamanda2 wrote:Last week, I tried to make a BrickArms order, but when I got to the payment screen, there was no "Pay" button or something of the like. No matter how many times I attempted to refresh and what all, I had no success (This Computer is kinda odd.. Has a mind of it's own I guess.).
Since Will was at BrickWorld he removed the 'pay' button for that week or so. No sense making an order that wouldn't pack and ship for a week.

I've been a big fan of Brickarms and now even more of one with the new, castley, direction. I think I saw some knives in the Brickworld photos, and those looked nice too (if a bit modern...).
Kev wrote:Cool, but I'd like to see someone make a proper scimitar. The lego version is obviously too big. It should be the same length as your cleaver, but thinner and more classically proportioned. I think it would be a real winner.
Jeff from Little Armory had a scimitar a while ago and has talked about reopening the store. It's a great little peice and looks exactly as you described.
Apprentice

E of Alshire wrote:I think I saw some knives in the Brickworld photos, and those looked nice too (if a bit modern...).
The other two edges items showcased at BrickWorld, the KA-BAR Combat Knife and the Machete, are both modern items:

ImageImage

However, there has been some discussion for other, more classic edged weapons. As Damien said, if there's something you'd really like to see from BrickArms, the place to let Will know is the BrickArms Forums.

badger
For no one, no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

the enigma that is badger wrote:One translation often used for larger dao is broadsword, but given this term is usually associated with types of Western straight bladed swords...
Well, if you are gonna use western terminology then scimitar or maybe falchion would have been more accurate. "Cleaver" as applied to swords, is generally a derogatory term implying a weapon that is poorly balanced and useful only for chopping food. 8) It has never been formally applied to sword categorization schemes in the academic or martial arts communities.
Apprentice

Tedward wrote:Well, if you are gonna use western terminology then scimitar or maybe falchion would have been more accurate.
Not really, as both of those terms are used to specifically refer to broad-bladed items of particular cultural context (Western Europe and the Middle East). Given the BrickArms Cleaver was specifically inspired by a Chinese weapon, I wanted to keep a flavor of its history in the name.

Again, keep in mind that dao is an exceptional general character. It can be found translated as knife, cleaver, or broadsword, usually depending on the other characters associated with it.
Tedward wrote:"Cleaver" as applied to swords, is generally a derogatory term implying a weapon that is poorly balanced and useful only for chopping food. It has never been formally applied to sword categorization schemes in the academic or martial arts communities.
Actually, the dadao isn't a particularly well-regarded weapon in regard to the skill required to use it or the craftsmanship of design, so you're not far off in regards to the name "cleaver" implying a less than artful approach to swordsmanship. The dadao has always been a peasant weapon: simple to use without any formal training, yet still devastatingly effective even in novice hands. As stated in the description of the item, the common nickname for the dadao in Chinese is "headchopper." It's not meant for fencing, just brute force hacking and slashing.

There are several other varieties of dao that are more artful, and terms like broadsword would better applies to these.

A good deal of thought did go into naming this item, and most of the ideas being discussed here were addressed. Ultimately, "cleaver" struck the right balance in indicated the history of the item as well as its overall shape and design.

badger
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

The Falchion also seems often to be in the hands of the lowerclass infantry men though you do see knights every onece and a while with them.

A nice mid 13th MS with one.

http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/ ... etail4.gif

R
Muskey15
Journeyman

Post by Muskey15 »

Nice! :D I think I can wait until they come out...

-Muskey
~His Lowness Seamus O'Callaghan of Lenfald~

"You call this archaeology?"

Lenfels ASSEMBLE!
Apprentice

Brothers-Brick Preview of BrickArms Items

Hey folks,

Dunechaser of the Brothers-Brick just put up a nice showcase of a few of the BrickArms prototypes showcased at BrickWorld. As a few are nicer shots of the edged items Will is currently developing, I thought I'd share it here.

Here's a link to the article, and here's a few shots from the article of the still in development BrickArms accessories that could be used in some great Castle MOCs:

Lewis Gun and Brodie Helmet:

Many, many castle fans at Brickworld remarked they'd love the brodie in a grey color for kettle hats. Would that be something you guys would be interested in?

Machete
Could theoretically double well for a falchion (minus a crossguard)

Cleaver/Dao
Great for any oversized, curved broadsword.

Enjoy!

badger
lyonnais
Serf

Post by lyonnais »

Hi, i can't wait thave this items!!!
When can you delivery these items?
Thank you for all
Regards
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

I read this last night and I must say that I am quite excited about the WWI stuff.
MaceyWindu
Laborer

Post by MaceyWindu »

I really like the Machete and Cleaver. The Cleaver is much better than LEGO's scimitar.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

My favorite is Rambo's knife, the detail and color are great.

LEGO --- Impossible is Nothing.
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

Haha cool stuff.
And I'm laughing at Rambo :D