BrickArms News and Notes

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Chaotic Good
Freeman

Post by Chaotic Good »

Awsome! Not so sure about that longsword. It looks faintly play-mobile-ish, but everything else..thumbs up! :D
the enigma that is badger
Apprentice

Post by the enigma that is badger »

Chaotic Good wrote:Not so sure about that longsword. It looks faintly play-mobile-ish
That's possibly more due to the type of plastic that was used to inject that particular accessory. When he's making prototypes, Will tends to use whatever plastic he has laying around. With that item, my guess is it's a mix of black ABS plastic and silver "Bionicle" plastic, which is more flexible, not nearly as shiny as ABS, and doesn't hold detail all that well.

Rest assured the final production will be solid, single-colored ABS to capture all the fine detail Will's packed into this item.

Here's shots of a few different versions of the BA Longsword:

From Left to Right: V1, V2 ("The Damien" as that version is Damien's personal favorite), and V3

The V1 and V3 share the same blade and cross-guard. The V2 (referred to as "The Damien" as that's Damien's personal favorite version of the weapon), has a smaller, but similarly-shaped blade. As for the V2 handle, it's nice, but in life, the ribbing along the grip gave the piece too much of a spacy vibe. The clean, tapered grip of the V3 proved to be the most aesthetically pleasing as well as historically accurate.

A real-life example of an XVI sword, the basis for the BrickArms Longsword (although Damien tells me its more of an XVIa due to its length):

Still, the V2 is quite a nice item. Is the V2 something you folks would also like to see released?

badger
For no one, no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
[url=http://flickr.com/photos/enigmabadger/]Flickr[/url]
Old_School_Fan
Laborer

Post by Old_School_Fan »

Yes, Badger, V2 is my favorite of the three. I've always loved the quality of Brickarms weapons, and these swords would be no different, I'm sure!
lord azreal
Goat Brigade

Post by lord azreal »

agreed they all look very good, will we ever see 2 handers or 1 1/2 handers? that is something I would love to see as Ive never really had the guts to try to make them myself
If you are reading this it means I have posted! - congratulate your find and remember this day
Apprentice

lord azreal wrote:will we ever see 2 handers or 1 1/2 handers?
Maybe. Depends on how these first few historical edged items do! If you like what you've seen thus far, show your support by buying a few when they're released!

badger
For no one, no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
Chaotic Good
Freeman

Post by Chaotic Good »

the enigma that is badger wrote: When he's making prototypes, Will tends to use whatever plastic he has laying around.
That explains it! And thank goodness anyway. To be honest, I was actually worried that it would look like that finished off. Now I know it isn't, I think I'll buy some. When they come out. :wink:
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

will we ever see 2 handers or 1 1/2 handers?
Just a quick note -- the 'longsword' IS a "1-1/2 hander." Hence the term 'longsword' - which is, in current academic conversation, a term designated to hand-and-a-half swords.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
lord azreal
Goat Brigade

Post by lord azreal »

fair enough did not know that thanks

looking forward to the release of these
If you are reading this it means I have posted! - congratulate your find and remember this day
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I really like these new bayonet pieces. Now I can have more than just muskets for my Colonial Era minifigs. Im definitely putting those combat knives on my Modern Era minifigs and Near-Future Era minifigs as well.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
KuvarBlodøks
Freeman

Post by KuvarBlodøks »

Ohhh, I like. Those rapiers are perfect for my curassiers. The bayonets will nicely equip my line infantry. Now I have something to bulk out my grenade order. Woot.
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

I am personally not too keen on any longswords produced by any company . I really have to reason, they just don't strike me as really LEGO-y.

I love the rapier, however. Very nice.

In Christ,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

It was great to be able to hold these, even the pink ones, nice color :wink:

Once again Will has struck the right balance between "realism" and the chunky Lego world the figs inhabit. The coin-hilted longsword would be my favorite, though I think it's a little off. He had several prototypes so I think he is still looking for the right look on that. The curved sword is looking great, general purpose enough that Chinese armies and Mongols could get away with using it, until other more accurate representations come forward. All in all very nice.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

Post by Blue Moon Knight »

Damien wrote:
will we ever see 2 handers or 1 1/2 handers?
Just a quick note -- the 'longsword' IS a "1-1/2 hander." Hence the term 'longsword' - which is, in current academic conversation, a term designated to hand-and-a-half swords.
Not really, a long sword isn't heavy enough to fit into the hand-and-a-half category.
To those who are about to Lego: toss me a few bricks.
Lord Scuba
Goat Brigade

Post by Lord Scuba »

Hey, doesn't Little armoury already make Longsword's and such?
Loyal Knight of the Blue Table.
[url=http://www.youngleafs.com/tgp.shtml]Warm my eggs please :P[/url]
Apprentice

Blue Moon Knight wrote:Not really, a long sword isn't heavy enough to fit into the hand-and-a-half category
I really, really wouldn't argue with Damien when it comes to historical edged weapons. I'm fairly sure he could give Ewart Oakeshott a run for his money!
The Blue Knight wrote:The coin-hilted longsword would be my favorite, though I think it's a little off.
Glad to hear you like it!

Out of curiosity, what about it seems "off" to you? Keep in mind these are prototypes, and if there's an aspect of the design you feel could be made better, that's something Will could always change for in the final design. Feedback has been very helpful to Will in past designs, and anything you're willing to contribute would be greatly appreciated.
The Blue Knight wrote:He had several prototypes so I think he is still looking for the right look on that.
Indeed, the Longsword is an item Will's be working on for some time. Again, here's a few of the different versions he's prototyped:

From Left to Right: V1, V2 ("The Damien" as that version is Damien's personal favorite), and V3 (what we've been calling "The Longsword"). The slightly rough appearance of the V3 is due to a slight problem with the prototype mold. The production item would be as smooth and detailed as the V1 and V2.

The V1 and V3 share the same blade and hand guard design, while the V3 has a grip that tapers down to a smaller pommel. The V2 has a smaller but same shaped blade, filials on the ends of the hand guard, and a ribbed grip for a "wrapped" look.

The V2 is nice, but in life, the ribbing along the grip gave the piece too much of a spacy vibe. The clean, tapered grip of the V3 struck the BA team as the most aesthetically pleasing as well as historically accurate.

Still, people have indicated a strong like for the V2, and there's always a chance it also might find space in a mold for mass production. Would you Castle fans like to see one more than the other? How about both?
Lord Scuba wrote:Hey, doesn't Little armoury already make Longsword's and such?
Yes, Little Armory does produce castle accessories, as does BrickForge, Unknown Artist Studios, Fine Clonier, and TLG itself. While Castle items are something BrickArms hasn't previously explored, Will felt he could design and produce his own original, high-quality accessories in that theme that the community would enjoy.

As these upcoming BrickArms castle items will be up to the same high standards all previous BrickArms accessories have been held to, I think Castle fans will appreciate the level of detail and playability Will's packed into these accessories. BrickArms might not be synonymous with accurate, quality Castle accessories yet, that's something I think will change once fans get a chance to try out some of these items!

badger