Freeman

CCCVI - "There...and Back Again "

Post by Chaotic Good »

“Clap! Snap! the black crack!
Grip, grab! Pinch, nab!
And down down to Goblin-town
You go, my lad!"

I wonder who...?

Based off the graphic novel, and modified Brickforge hair.

EDIT 18/12/08:

Updated design has been completed.

Last edited by Chaotic Good on Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Brik Masta
Foot Soldier

Post by Brik Masta »

Two thumbs up!
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

It has good craft. I just have no idea who that is...
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Chaotic Good
Freeman

Post by Chaotic Good »

Thought it was obvious...? "There and back again"? The Hobbit? It's Mr. Bilbo Baggins!

Thanks for the feedback, though.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

I love a good LOTR MOC/fig. I have been confusticated (as Bilbo would say) about hobbit hair. It should be bushy/curly, but nothing really has satisfied me yet, though this isn't bad.

I'm trying to figure out the torso. Duckies on his waist coat? Not very dignified, nor respectable (though he was certainly not the epitome of either), and does he have a bare midriff? Maybe I'm just not getting the design.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Chaotic Good
Freeman

Post by Chaotic Good »

It's Bilbo from the graphic novel of The Hobbit. The decal's based on his clothes from the first page of the book. See? Duckies! :lol:
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Aha. Perhaps it might have been a good idea to use a fleshie head and hands, so as to make the difference more apparent. I don't think very many Hobbits have stubble, either. :wink:

Now that you've shown us the source you're working from, though, the torso design is a fairly good representation. And that's excellent Hobbit-hair.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Now that you show that source picture, I can see what an excellent job was done here--I had simply assumed that was an official torso that you had stolen because of the rotund stomach, which is a testament to the excellence of the decal.

I agree, though, that flesh hands and head would be an improvement, or perhaps an otherwise unwarranted change of shirt, because right now it looks like Bilbo has quite an ungentlehobbitly beer belly there.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

I agree with Formendacil. Now that I see the original, I get it. The decal made is a very good reproduction.

I have to say that I don't like that graphic novel version of Bilbo. He looks like he's wearing a pair of jeans and a ' 70's style leisure suit jacket, and a velour shirt. That doesn't detract from the success of the decal to emulate it.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
turambar
Villein

Post by turambar »

comparison with book shows why you decide for that look, i have never pictured Bilbo like this, Azaghal it is true hobits never have stubeble or beard
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

turambar wrote:comparison with book shows why you decide for that look, i have never pictured Bilbo like this, Azaghal it is true hobits never have stubeble or beard
Now that's not QUITE true...

To quote the Prologue:
Tolkien wrote:But they were known to be Stoors in a large part of their blood, as indeed was shown by the down that many grew on their chins. No Harfoot or Fallohide had any trace of a beard.
Admittedly, though, Bilbo is no Stoor.

Of course, one could say that although the stubble may not be truly Hobbit-esque, it does give shape to his face allowing for greater facial definition.
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

I love the belly! Great work!
Chaotic Good
Freeman

Post by Chaotic Good »

Another addition to the debate;
Tolkien, in The Hobbit wrote:Said our Mr Baggins, and stuck one thumb behind his braces, and blew out another even bigger smoke ring.
Braces? Interesting that the Graphic Novel wasn't very accurate to the book. I see no braces on his clothing...

Design is being revised. And braces are being added, of course!
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Chaotic Good wrote:Another addition to the debate;
Tolkien, in The Hobbit wrote:Said our Mr Baggins, and stuck one thumb behind his braces, and blew out another even bigger smoke ring.
Braces? Interesting that the Graphic Novel wasn't very accurate to the book. I see no braces on his clothing...

Design is being revised. And braces are being added, of course!
Excellent quote and research! Going back to the source material often works best. I look forward to the new design.
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

Nice fig, the decal is quite accurate to the picture (I've never seen that version of Bilbo before).

After looking at the reference image, I think something like a modified (basic) female hairpiece would make a snazzy fit, what with the part in the middle and all.. Then again, a brown Weasley hairpiece would capture the bushiness.

Anywho, I'm only rambling now. Great take on the minifig, and best of luck to you in the contest. 8)

~Amanda
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]