My first custom Castle shields

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

My first custom Castle shields

Post by JPinoy »

I know its not much, but seeing how interesting certain existing designs would look just by changing the colors, I thought I'd try it out myself. First, the "Iron Falcons", and then the "Red Monarchs".

Personally the Red Monarchs is my fav since I'd like Lego to come out with a rerelease of the Black Knights/Monarchs but as red. A new Red Dragon (Euro type) would be a nice addition too. :wink:
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: My first custom Castle shields

Post by footsteps »

I quite like the "Iron Falcon" better - it looks more like a warriors shield. The Red Monarch strikes me as having too much of a cartoony colouring.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

I think you should put the circles around the second one too, they look cool :) .
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

Wow, those are great. I myself don't think the "red monarch" is cartoony, as it uses the same colours as the original.

"Iron falcon" would be great on a fig with dark grey euro armour and dark grey visor.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

Green Fox wrote:Wow, those are great. I myself don't think the "red monarch" is cartoony, as it uses the same colours as the original.
I think that's why I never really took to the Dragon theme, as far as imagery is concerned.
Green Fox wrote:"Iron falcon" would be great on a fig with dark grey euro armour and dark grey visor.
Agreed, a very imposing figure he'd be.

Alan
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Stickers, shield designs: I have to say that I love the stuff. Sava started something pretty big with those articles (not that other people hadn't made stickers before: he just popularized them, and saved us a great deal of the work: thanks!). I myself have used somwhere around thirty of his designs, and I have made something like another ten using his templates. I haven't changed the colours much, but in two instances I did: I changed the Fright Knight ovoid shield's trim to blue, and a BF shield's trim to red. Both looked great.

BTW, JPinoy, I like your designs, more especially the Dragon one. It may look a little cartoony, but so do many of Lego's classical designs.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Hey I just noticed that you changed the avatar version of you dragon design! It looks even better, there can't even be charges of cartoony with this one!
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

Formendacil wrote:Hey I just noticed that you changed the avatar version of you dragon design! It looks even better, there can't even be charges of cartoony with this one!
Yes, the avatar colouring is much better. I think I've finally figured out what has bothered me about this design. It's not the colouring after all... it's the dragon's smile!!! Doh! Sorry to be such a naysayer, especially as the shields are really nice -- far better than anything I've ever managed to produce. But that smile really grates. How can someone be frightened by such a friendly dragon? If you turn down, or flatten the mouth, and add scowling eyebrows, I think that would make a great difference. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for sharing your work JPinoy. It really is good!

Alan
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

You are pretty good! I like the iron falcon.
Alan
good times
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Hey! You changed the iron falcon. Personally, I think that it looks better without the border circles. :D
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

JP- I really like the Iron Falcon one. That would be a pretty cool "dark" character to have.

Freak
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Iron Falcons: somehow that makes me think of late Prussia/early Germany. Probably a mixture in my mind of the German early and iron is kind of associated with Bismark and the first Kaiser in my mind. Wonder why?