Brasso

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Lcuan82
Apprentice

Brasso

Post by Lcuan82 »

Hey all,

I have never used Brasso before and I want to use it now on some minifig torsos to remove the print. I did a quick search already and gathered some preliminary information.

Any more detailed advice?

Luke

PS This is a rookie question - where can I buy Brasso?
Roaglaan
Archer

Post by Roaglaan »

I buy brasso from the supermarket, it's in the cleaning isle, but Imagine any hardware store would carry it. Using brasso is pretty straight forward so I cant think of anything else to add.

Roag
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/26056914@N03/]My Flickr[/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Roaglaan]My Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=roaglaan]Roaglaans Customs[/url]
Chaotic Good
Freeman

Post by Chaotic Good »

Anugrah, over on MCN, did an article on Brasso HOWTO. I'd read it if you're planning on using Brasso for the first time, as it's very helpful.
Lcuan82
Apprentice

Post by Lcuan82 »

Thanks for all the tips, guys.

After brasso-ing, I have a tip of my own too.

First, I used a Q-Tip, and it took forever for the pattern to disappear. But then I switched to a dish-washing sponge, and man, was it powerful.

I got rid of this pattern (note - lots of facial hair) in about 20 seconds.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=3626bpx28

Luke
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

Any photos of the finished job?

I've used it (regretfully) on a few printed pieces, but i've never tried brasso-ing minifig parts.
TriUmp
Freeman

Post by TriUmp »

Heh, well I'm fairly new to using it myself.
For me it's taken a lot of time and patience, as I was using an old rag. But I guess the scourer would work a lot better, though. :)
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

I use Brasso all the time. Here is my process:

I use a cotton rag wrapped around a small (1.5" x 4") scrap of wood. You can use a scouring pad, but be careful not to scratch the torso or head, it will show through a sticker or decal if it is too scratched-up.

I wrap the rag very tightly, creases are not helpful, and put it in the palm of my hand.

Hold the rag tight, put the brasso (about a nickel size drop) in the center, and rub the piece the long way on the wood. If you press hard enough, the design will be gone in 15 seconds.

If you do more than a few torsos, (I do twelve at a time) the rag will get nasty looking, and foam will form. It is ok to continue putting more drops of brasso on top, just make sure to wash off the pieces in the sink when done. If you want to, re-wrap the rag so a cleaner spot is on top.

I buy mine at home depot, but you can get it many places.

I hope this helped!
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

The Q-tip method for getting off part of an image when you want to keep the rest.

For taking off a torso design for example, I go in the bathroom. First I turn on the fan, then get toilet paper. Getting the right amount on the TP is an art. Start small, then work up to larger amounts as you get more confidence. Put the TP on the counter, put the torso on the TP and rub away with all your might. A torso will go in 30 seconds. This works great for flat surfaces like sheilds, brick sides and so on. Be sure to clean the area where you had the brasso (some will get on the counter), flush the TP.

TBK
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
legokilt
Bailiff

Post by legokilt »

Just use 400 grit sand paper, cleaner, finer detail and doesn't stink. Though brasso cleansmy claymore something awesome.
Lego helps make history fun!