yellowed white parts

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Lcuan82
Apprentice

yellowed white parts

Post by Lcuan82 »

Hey all,

I have a non-Lego plastic mini sword from about 10 years ago that happens to compatible with Lego.

However, it is white and its edges are slightly yellowed. Does any of you know what to do to get rid of the yellow color?

Thanks,

Luke
Sir Nelson
Old Wizard

Re: yellowed white parts

Post by Sir Nelson »

Lcuan82 wrote:I have a non-Lego plastic mini sword from about 10 years ago that happens to compatible with Lego.

However, it is white and its edges are slightly yellowed. Does any of you know what to do to get rid of the yellow color?
Toss it in the garbage bin.
"Old Wizards never die, nor fade away. They just kind of operate behind the scenes and in the shadows... doing all of their weird and wonderful Wizardy things and whatnot."
doodstormer
Bailiff

Post by doodstormer »

Sir Nelson wrote:
Lcuan82 wrote:I have a non-Lego plastic mini sword from about 10 years ago that happens to compatible with Lego.

Way to go, smart alleck. That sure answers his question.

I don't know of any ways to fix that, Lcuan, although i recall there was a topic where somebody had a solution... I'll try and find it.
Lcuan82
Apprentice

Post by Lcuan82 »

doodstormer wrote:
Sir Nelson wrote:

Way to go, smart alleck. That sure answers his question.

I don't know of any ways to fix that, Lcuan, although i recall there was a topic where somebody had a solution... I'll try and find it.
Sir Nelson - once you see the plastic sword, you'll know why I kept it for so many years.

Thanks, doodstormer. Another solution is just to paint over it, but that requires probably more work. So, I eagerly await your response.

Luke
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Some say that exposing the plastic to indirect sunlight can reverse the yellowing. Another option is to put the piece in a sealed container with hydrogen peroxide for a month (in a dark place). This should reduce the yellowing also.

Ben
Lcuan82
Apprentice

Post by Lcuan82 »

Sir Nelson wrote:

I finally took and posted some pictures - once again, this is why I didn't throw it away

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3693524
Foamrider
Foot Soldier

Post by Foamrider »

I washed a yellowed fig torso with a mild soap, and then let it sit in the sun for a couple days. It reduced the yellowing, but its still tinted. You may have better luck. I believe I got this tip from MCN... I don't know if it was an article though.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28972864@N06/]Flickr[/url]

A great day Comrades, We sail into History!
"Mad, Brilliant, a Tolkien addict" -ShadowViking

[url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url]
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

That's a pretty sweet sword. I think it's fine just as it is. Looks like it's an antique blade carved from a mammoth tusk or something. Or perhaps a magical blade carved from the white wood of some sacred tree. It also reminds me of that game Phantom Brave, where everyone had HUGE swords. Heh.
Lcuan82
Apprentice

Post by Lcuan82 »

It's supposed to be a "dragon" blade - if you look closely, you can see the eyes on the halt and the eyebrows.

It came from some sort of Japanese plastic fighting robots (not gundam) that I collected when I was younger. It's unfortunate that the sword is the only remaining part I own - there were loads of weapons that are suitable for Lego.
The Crusader
Freeman

Post by The Crusader »

Hmm will the sunlight trick work with yellow Horses?
Thor
Foot Soldier

Post by Thor »

Sweet Lculan, you need to make some resin casts of that sucker!
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Sir Nelson wrote:Toss it in the garbage bin.

:lol:

When I read this I had to chuckle to myself for a bit, but then when I looked at the picture I see why you kept this sword. It seems like a white version of Stormbringer. LEGO needs more detail on their swords, but not like the zwords of KK2.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
legokilt
Bailiff

Post by legokilt »

Get some 600 to 1000 grit Wet/dry sandpaper. Wet a little bit and sand them. It works really well and you can't tell you did it. I have done that with legos for years. It also is a great way to take off offical decals. I have turned many a spaceman into a Black Falcon thusly. Good luck.
Lego helps make history fun!
Papy.G
Laborer

Post by Papy.G »

Well, Sanding can be a good solution, if you have much time, but it seems that white can become white again and decals saved with N2O2, a little bit of TAED, and UV light, either natural or artificial.
Y clique (French "linky")
I'm gonna run a test in a close to not so close future as I'm a little busy these days.
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]