What happened with you?

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme

What happened to you the first time you tried cutting Lego pieces?

I nearly cut my freakin' finger off!
9%
The results were only so-so.
25%
I made a high quality piece I look back upon and smile at.
19%
It was great, even by my standards now.
13%
I've never tried modifying pieces by cutting.
34%

Total votes: 32

Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

What happened with you?

Post by Chancellor Erik »

Ok, there are obviously some very talented Lego customizers out there, and some of the best custom pieces require a little cutting to get from official Lego to your own creaton. So everybody, 'fess up. What happened to you the first time you put the knife to the plastic?
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Re: What happened with you?

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Chancellor Erik wrote:Ok, there are obviously some very talented Lego customizers out there, and some of the best custom pieces require a little cutting to get from official Lego to your own creaton. So everybody, 'fess up. What happened to you the first time you put the knife to the plastic?
It looked good. Bat helm into pseudo-Corinthian - just loose the wings and some of the helmet around the mouth. But it wasn't that big of a deal for me since I've been wielding a hobby knife for quite a while now, and so it is no great brag that I avoided disaster.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

The first time I modified a piece it looked like garbage, but I am getting better every day. :D
Alan
good times
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

The first time I cut a piece, it was one of the Dragon Master halberds. I just sliced the spear point off the top, the spike off the back and cut the handle in half to make it a hand axe. Pretty simple stuff, so it turned out pretty well.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

The first thing I ever customized was a Tyco Axe head that I superglued to a lance pole, so it would fit better into the lego figs hands. Then next thing I did I cut the blade off a lego axe and glued it to the back of another axe, thus making a double bladed axe. That little piece still looks awesome btw, but my nephew has it now.
That was about fifteen years ago?
anyway, I have had my share of mistakes, and "ew that looks like crap", but if not for the success of those two items I would probably not be near as brave with slicing and hacking and painting as I am today.

:D

Freak
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

i modify bricks whit my theets :lol: it hurts a bit but its ok thats why i anwerd the last one...
Jehkar
Peasant

Post by Jehkar »

I almost cut my finger off when I was modifying a oval sheild. I wanted to make it have spikes off the top. I tried cutting curves to go different ways. It worked well for a while, but the knife slipped, and sliced my index finger. I won't go into to much detail, but it as bad. And the sheild is a dark red now.

I am now armed with a nail clipper (mostly for quick cuts on axes) I can make axes like TTK in seconds.
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Megablocks followed with him." Revelations 6:8
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I had fun the first time I ever customized anything. Of course what I did was cut up the Dragon Master King I had, I frayed and cut his cape, cut several grooves and slashes into his face and torso etc... Then I did the same to his sword, shield and crown. I then used some dark red marker to simulate blood and had my Dragon Master King killed by treachery and then desecrated. It was fun and it began the story of how there are no DMs in my world, only Black Knights. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

I have never cut a castle part, but I cut up classic space guns to make pistols and uzis.
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

But it wasn't that big of a deal for me since I've been wielding a hobby knife for quite a while now, and so it is no great brag that I avoided disaster.
I have to follow TTK on this one. I started customizing
Hasbro SW figures back in 1996, so I have experience.
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

Hey, where's the "I tried, but i screwed op so I had to order replacements @ BL :oops: "
(i tried to cut out the bottom of a big barrel once, to name but one)

Also goes for the poor parts I wasted by making em black with markers...
Whatever you do, don't.
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

I have never ever taken anything to my LEGO's, and probably never will. I've seen some of Brickboy's customization, though, and it looks pretty good.
Check out my LEGO Movies at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=88753 !
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

My first modded parts were a "bell holder" basically I took a Pirates cutlass and chopped off 1/2 the blade so the remaining part can hold a yellow 1x1 cone. This was for my Castle's "Town Yeller" back when I was still building Castle sets/MOCs. Long before I went Ancient. :wink:
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

I have been tempted to modify my parts, but I have managed to restrain myself. I would hate to lose a quality lego piece to a bad modification.

-The Josh
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

Well it looked bad before I did it, it was a unsilver sword.

[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]