Repairing cracked arms and torsos

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
g2
Sir Postsalot

Re: Repairing cracked arms and torsos

Post by g2 »

I have found cracks in arms and torsos of a few 80s minifigs that I have bought recently. My solution is this.

1) Cracked Arms: I replace these completely with non damaged/cracked arms. Usually I save the hands.
2) Broken hands: Same as broken arms, I simply replace them with non damaged parts.
3. Cracked Torsos: Usually the split is very fine/thin, and so I tend to repair them (especially if the torso print has not faded, or there are any other damage to the torso, like teeth marks). The glue of choice is a little bit different to my previous posters. I use "plasticweld" which is perfect for ABS plastic.
This glue literally melts the two parts together making them one.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

G2,

I will have to take a look for plasticweld. Looks like it might be the ticket!

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

Make sure you test it out on dispensable mini-fig first, or any piece of Lego.

Please note: Once you apply the glue, which is the consistency of water, and you squeeze the "two" parts together to form the join, you will get a small amount of molten plastic 'spill' out and form like a scar along the join, you will need to clean that with a razor blade or sharp knife when it has completely dried. If you clean it too early, it will leave a groove where the plastic was soft. You can try sanding it, but I don't like the roughness of sanding. Good luck with it. Let us know how you go.

But please be careful, that stuff is dangerous if you inhale it, so read all the safety information on the label first.
moose
Villein

Post by moose »

I find if an arm is just loose that by putting super glue on the arm sockeet then putting back on the arm and moving it in circles works really well do the same thing for hands and just put glue on the part that fits into the arm.

Hope this helps

Ausaleviasta :wave:
Eulliiiiiiaaaaa. Give em blood and vineger. - The words of a hare of the long patrol.