Flesh-toned heads...

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Green Fox
Bailiff

Flesh-toned heads...

Post by Green Fox »

First, I am back temporarily. Does anyone know the username of the guy who spammed people, I may know him. Soooo, back on topic...

If minifig faces are just clear stickers on plain heads, has anyone tried/is it possible to remove the sticker on a flesh-toned head and stick it onto a plain yellow one, and if not, does anyone have a head decal template?
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Re: Flesh-toned heads...

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Green Fox wrote:If minifig faces are just clear stickers on plain heads, has anyone tried/is it possible to remove the sticker on a flesh-toned head and stick it onto a plain yellow one, and if not, does anyone have a head decal template?
Minifig faces are printed directly on to the plastic, they are not stickers. Yes, there is a template, but I have no idea where it is.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

It isn't really a template, more of a size. You just find the center and work from there. Jamit and I use one, and here are the dimensions: 371 pixels by 71 pixels.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I wish they were stickers, that would be interesting. If you are careful, you can scrape the decal off a head without much damage to the head, but you wouldn't be able to us the decal on a new head.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

I am prett sure they are stickers. on some heads, particularly the newer ones, although it seems to be fairly random, there is a definite line, but I only think this is a sticker.
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

Green Fox wrote:I am prett sure they are stickers. on some heads, particularly the newer ones, although it seems to be fairly random, there is a definite line, but I only think this is a sticker.
No..... I am pretty sure you are horribly, horribly wrong.
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I am prett sure they are stickers. on some heads, particularly the newer ones, although it seems to be fairly random, there is a definite line, but I only think this is a sticker.
Minifig heads have always been printed on with a machine. On the press release area of lego.com there should be a photo of a machine assembling minifigs and possibly printing the heads.

The line you are referring to is from the shape of the mold. Also, as a general rule, if a LEGO set has stickers, they are not pre-applied for you. All stickers must be put on by you.

Ben E.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Yup, anyway making stickered heads would be stupid, give it a bit of playing and the sticker could come right off. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I don't think a stickerd head would be stupid, but it would need a little more gentle care than a fig with the decal printed on. There are a few types of felt pen that work nicely to draw your own face with and that has been the best solution I have found. I also use an exacto knife to alter some of the heads to look more castle-like. No microphones/headsets in my castle realm. :wink:

Will
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

wlister wrote: I also use an exacto knife to alter some of the heads to look more castle-like. No microphones/headsets in my castle realm.
Thanks to you guys, I've found that erasers nicely modify faces to remove unwanted appendages. I should thank whoever mentioned it, the results were great.

Maybe it was Nate.....
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

I think Bruce mentioned the eraser. Do you need to rub really hard and long to get it off?
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Formendacil wrote:I should thank whoever mentioned it, the results were great.

Maybe it was Nate.....
Not me, I don't customize my LEGO (must -- must risist the dark side-- *gasp*)
Sir Terrance wrote:I think Bruce mentioned the eraser.
Yeah, I think it was Bruce...

Anyway, when you use a knife to remove the decal, does it mess up the minifig head and remove some plastic?

Must resist the dark side...!
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

I've written a faq on my website on how to best apply stickers onto a minifig head (from my own experience). It's located in the 'faq' section on the left hand column.

R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:snipped...
Anyway, when you use a knife to remove the decal, does it mess up the minifig head and remove some plastic?

I have managed to scrape several heads with little or no noticeable damage to the head. It takes patience and a steady hand though. I may try the eraser idea myself, darkside would be easier to resist if the results weren't so great. :wink:

Will
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:
Formendacil wrote:I should thank whoever mentioned it, the results were great.

Maybe it was Nate.....
Not me, I don't customize my LEGO (must -- must risist the dark side-- *gasp*)
Sir Terrance wrote:I think Bruce mentioned the eraser.
Yeah, I think it was Bruce...

Must have thought it was you because I heard about it in connection to Harry Potter heads (the scar can be removed). I haven't actually used it for that, but the results were great for the Baron von Barron/Lord Sinister's scar.