New Helmet & Armor by Red Bean

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Red Bean
Apprentice

New Helmet & Armor by Red Bean

Post by Red Bean »

Well, I needed a break from modifying the Greek helm, so I made this:

Sort of my interpretation of a suit of Gondorian armor, I guess. As usual, more pics can be found on my website. Any comments will appreciated. Many thanks.

R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Looks good.

As always, very well done.

I don't know if the armour brings Gondor to my mind, but I do like the helm.

As for the armour, it makes me think: Ogel armour, but made specially for Castle.

This is not an insult, please not, but a compliment. :D
Ramus
Laborer

Post by Ramus »

Looks great, is the armor one peice or three?

As I am sure many people have stated, I would be inline to buy if available.

-- Ramus
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Those look great Red Bean,

I really like the helm. I am looking forward to the day you can finally market your helemts and armor. This armor looks good, but the main body piece seems a little short. I'd still buy one if you were selling, but an armor piece that covered the torso would be more of a multiple purchase. The removable shoulder pieces are truly inspired though. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Dire Avenger
Villein

Post by Dire Avenger »

It doenst bring anything of Gondorian armor to mind....

But it does bring Rohan to mind! As soon as it is availible, im going to buy one of these, 'elmet and armor! Their perfect for my hero guy...

Thanks for sclupting them! BTW your site is acting funny, it wont come up...Just gives me some weird page that has nothing to do with legos in any way shape or form...
Always remember....A toothpick in time saves nine. Only, what the heck does that mean?
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

:shock: Wow! I really like it, not LOTR though. BTW, RB's site is fine for me, he did change the format though.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Thanks for the comments.

The armor is in 3 pieces (1 body & 2 shoulders). The main body part is actually sculpted over this element:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=554

The shoulders are actually partially inspired by Jeff's showing of his new rotating arms (btw, I can't wait to obtain a pair so I can see how the armor will fit with them). Does anyone like idea, btw?

As for the length of the armor, I actually had it longer originally, but then I altered them to their current length because I find the long version doesn't compliment the back stud very well (it looks like it has too long a front and too short a back), and since I want to keep the back stud for higher playability (a pair of wings in the future?), I made the decision to go more Ogel-esque. Also, since Jeff's armors (both his existing ones and the ones he showed in his conceptual sketch) contain a long armor design, I thought I'd go 'short' to give you guys more variety.

And since most of you don't see them as 'Gondorian'... how about trying to come up with new names of them for me? :wink:

R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

The helmet does echo the Rohan style of the movies, I really like it.

I'm not as sure about the armor. Looks too short, though having read your post I see why, and the shoulders look like football (American) shoulder pads. That tends to make me think they would be fragile.

You know I am a great admirer of your work and offer up this criticism only from friend to friend.

BTW did you say Greek helmet... 8)
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

Sweet Dude!! Im loven it!

Dave
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Yes, I like the shoulder-design thingy.

As for a name.......

It can still be Gondorian if you want to call it that. Just because it doesn't bring the MOVIE Gondorians to mind doesn't mean it can't be Gondorian. I'd rant on about the fact that book is the real LR, and the movie isn't, but you've all heard that before.

It looks Gondorian enough to me, but it doesn't make me think Minas Tirith or the Guards of the Citadel so much as southern Gondor.

Maybe a Lord of Lebennin, a captain of the navy at Pelargir, or maybe, dare I suggest it?, a Knight of Dol Amroth.

Actually, what I find keeps coming to mind is: Girion, Lord of Dale.

Well, name it as you please, not as we please, since we'll like it however its called. If you don't even decide to make it middle-earth-ian, then don't. Its your armour, not mine (and if it was, it'd probably not be middle-earth-ian anyway.)
Lord Resta
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Resta »

Pelargir
?

I thought it was Pilangir! I named my gondorian castle Pilangir! Doh!
Look to my coming, on the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East...

-Gandalf the White, The Two Towers.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Lord Resta wrote:
Pelargir
?

I thought it was Pilangir! I named my gondorian castle Pilangir! Doh!
Assuming that you are referring to the great Gondorian city and fortress port located on the Ethir Anduin (Anduin Delta), founded by Numenorians in the Second Age, and settled by the Faithful, and incorporated in the Kingdom of Gondor by Isildur and Anarion, seat of the Royal Navy, capital under the usurper Castimir, and the site where the Men of the Dead ACTUALLY fought for Aragorn, and the point of his launching the ships for Minas Tirith, then yes, it IS called Pelargir.

If you are talking about some completely invented place, or some real place with no name, then it could well be named Pilangir.

(Sorry, it's just that its been so long since I've exercised my Tolkienisms.)
Lord Resta
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Resta »

I never realised it was of such importance. Ah well, it's good I named it wrong! So here it is

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=87597

I'll announce this later on in mocs.
Look to my coming, on the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East...

-Gandalf the White, The Two Towers.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Lord Resta wrote:I never realised it was of such importance. Ah well, it's good I named it wrong! So here it is

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=87597

I'll announce this later on in mocs.
Looks pretty good, but as I'm not seeing any port facilities or ships in great quantities, I don't think it could function as Pelargir, the great port.

Maybe its the home of one of the regional lords, in Lebennin, Lossarnarch, Morthond, Anfalas, maybe even Andrast.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well I like the helment vvvverrrryyyyyyyyy much. Its awusome. Dosen't bring any particular thing to mind though. I don't really like the armour. The shoulder plates are to big. And they are rather similar to Ogel armour. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.