New Helmet & Armor by Red Bean

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Gimme a break!! It's like the hardest thing I've ever done to get the shoulders to be able to actually fit on the armor!! And nobody likes the shape :cry:

hehe... just kidding. :wink: Points taken though. I agree that the shoulders are probably slightly big for the armor, but the problem with their large size, however, is due to the fact that they simply have to be that big in order to have enough space to snap onto the main armor. So if the idea of the exchangable should pieces are to stay, I'm not sure there's much I can do about them.

Also, when the time comes for me to sell these armors, I'll probably sell them (helmet + armor + 2 shoulders) as 1 set. But I'll try not to overcharge for them though :wink:

How about the shape of the helmet? Any thing you'd like to see different?

R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I think the helmet looks great as is and I am one of the ones who likes the big shoulders, if they have to be big to have them removable, then keep em big. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

Red Bean wrote:How about the shape of the helmet? Any thing you'd like to see different?
R. B.
Thinking in terms of using the helmet without the armour shown, there doesn't seem to be enough neck protection. With the armour, it's not such an issue, but some people may want only the helmet (which BTW is excellent) and may feel that their soldiers are underprotected. Just a thought.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Chest: from the side it makes the fig look like he has an actual chest! The relief of the chest unit is very nicely done. I'm not as sure about ending the armor as high up as you do - perhaps with the right torso print (old style breastplate or KK1 breastplate?).

Back: will you keep the back stud? I know that's how the piece is that you are using to put the armor on with, but if you actually molded it, would you lose the stud or possibly fill in the hole? Or sculpt a proper back plate entirely?

Shoulders: Interesting approach. I think they look too big at the moment, but at the same time it gives the fig a more dynamic physique. My suggestion would be if you need to keep them that same physical size, can you modify them so that will pivot down lower? They could still swing up for posing, but if they swivel down further they won't stick out quite so much.

Helmet: Looks good. I'd probably have cheek pieces and ear gaps, but if that's what you are doing on the greek helmet, I'd leave what you have here alone.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Leave the helmet, I say. It may not be perfect, but it looks great to me!
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Looks like the armor on some 3 Kingdoms period Chinese cavalry soldiers. Good work!
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]