Question about using sculpey

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Andrew_sension
Peasant

Question about using sculpey

Post by Andrew_sension »

I read the article about it, and i was wondering what i can use for the skeleton besides a toothpick, because you said that it will get ruined in an oven. So is there anything i can use that wont get ruined?
"Acetominophen you see the medicine, oh girl!"
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

I have used wire before, but the thing is that it does bend, so it may be hard to keep perfecty straight.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Hi Andrew,

I have never tried this but I have considered using screws and nails before (although I have yet to have the opportunity to experience them). But I'd only recommend this if you must bake your item, otherwise I'd stick with toothpicks and bending paper clips, you'll be able to get a much better shape that way, trust me, which is after all the whole point about using a 'skeleton' in the first place, right? :wink:

Sometimes to get a nice shape you just have to sacrifice a bit of sturdiness. If you don't like sculpey, use milliput instead which airdries by itself.

R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

Sometimes to get a nice shape you just have to sacrifice a bit of sturdiness. If you don't like sculpey, use milliput instead which airdries by itself.
Is milliput as strong as sculpey?
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Is milliput as strong as sculpey?
That'll depend on how you 'treat' the sculpey. But for making minifig accessories, milliput is more than strong enough for that purpose, as long as you're not expecting your custom piece to be of ABS plastic quality (sculpey ain't ABS either).

R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net